Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged #29861 - Removes Medical's starting Syringe Gun

Discussion in 'Archive' started by SierraKomodo, Dec 8, 2020.

1. SierraKomodo

SierraKomodo Command Keyword Detected Developer Game Moderator

2. Kozak411

Kozak411 Chef

Devil's advocate is that removing it limits the ability of team-based antags to use unconventional weapons instead of resorting straight to raiding tac-arm or bashing until horizontal. That's reaching a lot, mind, and I can't think of anything else.

3. SierraKomodo

Adding it to the traitor uplink is an option for this.

4. Kozak411

Kozak411 Chef

Delightfully, there's already one in the uplink - that never gets used, to boot.

5. Logioas

Logioas Assistant

The only medical roles that would hypothetically need it for it's intended purpose (unruly patients) are medtechs and labtechs since physicians have flashes
    I have never seen it needed at any point

6. Imienny

Imienny Laser Tag 2019 Participant

Traitors already have syringe gun disguised as cigar, and if they need real weapon, they get dartgun, problem with uplink is that your expenses add up very quickly if you have to buy everything instead of stealing it.

7. The syringe gun has very niche uses (to the point that I've never seen it used in a way that's not just medtechs messing around), but I don't think that's necessarily a reason to remove it. It may not be improving RP a lot, but I haven't seen it harming it at all.

As a side note, it's also a safe way to subdue an uncooperative GAS patient. Again, never actually seen this done, but flashing them would cause permanent damage and chasing the giant bug with a dart gun has a really cool vibe about it.

8. Concept: We remove the syringe gun and outfit medical with a comically oversized net to catch GAS with.

9. Emmanuel Bassil

Emmanuel Bassil Senior Enlisted Advisor

I'd support keeping it in the armory, but definitely remove the one doctors can access.

This is only for the one in a million occurence it might get used and create good story.

Subosovitch likes this.
  10. Ryan180602

Ryan180602 Bartender

As brought up in the discord, the idea of putting a syringe gun in the CMO's locker for the times that it *might* be used for fair antag-play (even though it can be bought by antags, I somewhat agree it would be a cheaper but more riskier approach to steal it), is not a bad one.

Subosovitch likes this.
  11. confused rock

confused rock Bartender

That's why I think it should stay in the e-arm, Ryan. Grabbing it from the e-arm for no reason is a really weird thing to do. I definitely think putting it in the CMO locker is a bad idea if your goal is to avoid it being abused, since that would imply to CMOs "take this, it's for you." In e-arm moreso implies "for emergency use only". And if you want it to *maybe* be used for antags, it's more annoying and less fun for antags to break into lockers than it is for them to break into e-arm. I think the e-arm one is fine where it is, but if you move it instead of gutting it, don't move it to the CMO's locker, move it into the tac-arm so it's even trickier to casually snag and VERY clearly implies that you're not taking this FNR. If it were in the tac-arm then there's very little risk of it being abused, the only think weird about it being in tac-arm is that unlike other tac-arm items it doesn't come ready to fire.

12. jimmyjingo

jimmyjingo Bartender

I'm definitely in favour of removing the one medical starts with. I've seen it used exactly twice for as long as I've been playing medical, and neither time was it for a good reason. If the E-ARM one has to stay, keeping it there would probably be a better idea than the CMO's locker. For pretty much every job if something spawns in your locker then you can take it out, use it, carry it with you at all times and so on. Having the syringe gun spawn in the CMO's locker may confuse some people, as it's not something you should be carrying around as a matter of course except for in fairly rare circumstances.

13. Hunter Martin

Hunter Martin Bartender

The hypospray is smaller and not illegal in most circumstances if you need to rapidly inject chems, most people more than adjacent to you can't be scanned by you either for the accurate application of medicine, and if medical needs to disable a potential threat from a distance. . . sec is down the hall and has ranged equipment for handling threats.

Good riddance, syringe gun.

14. Ryan180602

Ryan180602 Bartender

I have mulled over this for a while, and looking at the other side of the argument about the one in a million chance an antag might want to use it. I think its best to revert the second commit I made and keep the one remaining syringe gun in the E-Arm.

15. SierraKomodo

It's been 48 hours and I'm going to agree with Ryan's decision - Removal from medical, keep it in the E-arm.

Emmanuel Bassil likes this.