Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accepted Aidenzack1 - Adherent

Discussion in 'Archived Species Applications' started by Aidenzack1, Feb 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aidenzack1

Aidenzack1 Assistant

About You

What is your Byond key?
    Aidenzack1

What is your Discord username?
    gpinrgrmoma#9026

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    not quite that long, about maybe two weeks of on and off play.

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    Osborn Woodworth - prospector
    Maliphus Mann - medical roles
    Leander Hender - Explorer roles

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    Adherent

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    I enjoy species that aren't human usually, as it allows me to roleplay as a non-human, which opens up a whole world of interations and learning about human culture. The reason I want to apply for adherent specifically is due the the chill nature of it, and how they are unique from the rest of the crew. And I find the whole open-ruled 'protocol' gimmick to be genuinely cool.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    Sanitation expert AB-42
    Engine Maintainer DE-B 60
    Shuttle Pilot 39-X

Summarize what you know about the species.
    The Adherent are a silicon based lifeform created by a now long dead species tasked with logistical and administrative tasks, among other things, who follow a loosely written 'protocol' that is left up to interpretation for each individual Adherent. They are still fully intelligent, just following a protocol. Adherent society as a whole is named the 'vigil' and all playable adherent are simple servitors.

The Vigil's creators were all wiped out to a incredibly deadly solar flare dubbed "the scream" by vigil society, with defense measures on their home planet Canon still running, with no vessel able to survive the anti-air batteries and shielding systems protecting the cities on said planet.

The Adherent are a mass of fist sized silicon crystals surrounded by a sort of silicon-crystal shell, who are found almost always levating using a complex and not understood piezoelectrical system. Adherent are a rather large 'head', with five to eight drooping tentacles that come from the head, with two smaller tentacles used in a similar matter to human hands. Adherent speech is both resonant and vibrant, with an odd sounding native language.

The Vigil are composed of three main factions, with their members having different protocols and behaviors from one another.

Loyalists

The Loyalists are completely devoted to the memory of their long extinct creators, devoting themselves to the protocol, duties and their roles. Loyalists believe service is both life and that purpose is happiness. And believe not strictly following the protocol is disrepecting the memory of their creators. The loyalists, while not the most populated faction, are the most powerful, led by the defacto 'leader' of the vigil as a whole, Traffic Control Hub 37-Q.

Preservers

The Preservers are the most numerous group of Adherent, with practices not to disturb the planets they explore, instead chosing to index data about the planetary body for review at a later time. As the most passive faction, they are also the most likely to be found on spacecrafts of other species, such as Humanities. There is a sub-group of preservers, who dedicate themselves to the the the tradgedy of whatever planet they are orbiting, along with requesting visitors to not disturb it.

Seperatists

the Seperatists believe that the Vigil abandon Canon, and establish a new order of Adherent society, believing they should prioritize their needs as survivors of the scream over hope of finding a new creator. As the protocol forbids excessive social strife or violence, they do this within protocol. And do not decry their creators, and if they do they risk recycling.

The Adherent are both devoted to their roles as servants and more specific assigned roles. They are generally kind and polite to those they meet, but are completely devoted to the protocol. The protocol does not cover every edge-case, and in a situation that is not covered by the protocol Adherent are free to interpret the protocol to fit the situation, within reason of course, however, Adherent tend to lock up whilst making an interpretation, resulting in a loss of function until it is made.

As stated before, Adherent are both sentient and possess self preservation, despite the outlook of them being rather simple. Adherent are rather confused when it comes to this, not entirely sure if their life is worth sacrificing for a human, skrell, or other sentient, but non-creator lifeform.

2. Aidenzack1

Aidenzack1 Assistant

3. Gentlefood

Gentlefood Adherent Species Maintainer

Sorry for the delay kept forgetting to reply to this.
    Your write up is correct except for being a bit wiki regurgitation-y. And as such please write, in your opinion, how the various factions view each other.
    Also, give me a character concept and include which faction they'd be a part of and why.

4. Aidenzack1

Aidenzack1 Assistant

No worry for the delay, life happens. And I do realize that it is a bit wiki heavy, but I just wasnt sure how to word or change it into my own words for a lot of it.
    As for how the factions might view one another, I believe that the preservers would be the most neutral of opinions, not having a strong distain or liking of either of the other factions, simply seeing them as having a different interpretation of the protocol. The Loyalists however, have a dislike for the two other factions, as they believe they both 'disrespect' the creators, but believe the seperatists disrespect them more by trying to abandon Canon and make a new order. The Seperatists would be confused at the actions of both of the other factions, wondering why they would near-worship a long dead species, creator or not. None of the factions would take their opinions so far as to attack one another over it, as that would be a clear breach of protocol.

As for the character concept, I had a rather simple one in mind for a Laboratory technician:

Medication Fabricator 49 AD-3
    Rented out to the Torch for use of fabricating chemicals, with a definite speciality in chemicals with medical uses. This does not mean they cannot produce chemicals with other uses (Narcotics, potentially explosive and the like) But as stated in protocol 89E, subsection 25 "Any potentially illicit substances must be approved by a member with appropriate authority." Due to there not being a definite term for "appropriate authority" Medication Fabricator 49 AD-3 has determined this to be anyone in security or in command of the ship. Medication Fabricator AD-B would be a member of the preserver faction, and would be particularly interested in the results of the exploration team, asking to see their notes and discoveries for any hope of a sign of the creators. They are apart of this faction due to their more docile nature, far preferring to observe then take action, and would most likely keep a logbook of the activities and discoveries of the Torch.

5. Gentlefood

Gentlefood Adherent Species Maintainer

As a note Separatist views are typically not openly discussed due to the possibility of being returned to Canon for 'reset' to to speak.
    Other than that, it looks fine. Approved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.