Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An independent Torch

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Virgil, Jul 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLier

TheLier Senior Enlisted Advisor

Kek, I love it that people who didn't play much at the Torch launch assume people didn't try to fit in. I did so for months, but you know, I failed to develop a Stockholm syndrome about being f-ed over and over again, so I left.

I still do play ocassionally, but given I can't really do what I liked the most anymore, and the fact that science is even less significant on Torch (somehow), there wasn't much to do for me. Maybe I will app for skrelll and see if I can do something with it. But that's off topic.

In short, do not assume that people didn't try to fit in. Many of us did.

2. Huntime

Huntime Donator

Did we reach that point in this thread (like all the others) where we agree that milrp should be kept and further accommodations should be made to specific divisions with other issues so the playerbase could apply themselves there along with the agreement to fix all our ‘other’ issues. Yet?

3. Blazerules

Blazerules Research Director

Its funny how people talk about the minority but bay is on the hub for the first time in a long while. And still has less players than before. The fact that bay even has to be on hub is quite worrying. And its summer. A time known for having the highest pop of highest pops...

4. Meyar

Meyar Retired Worstmin 2015-2017

We've reached the "spinning our wheels" portion until staff give us something to chew on. I still don't quite know which vote this was based off of

ThatOneGuy, Curt5 and Huntime like this.
  5. Blazerules

Blazerules Research Director

Wonder if it has anything to do with being on hub. That's just sad. Didn't know bay had to devolve to that.

6. Meyar

Meyar Retired Worstmin 2015-2017

Okay, re: hub,

Hub visibility has been a staff to-do since before my retirement and should not be seen as a devolution or "omg we're dying" panic button. It's not. It was just intended to make us more visible to possible new folk.

ThatOneGuy likes this.
  7. Huntime

Huntime Donator

I’ll be honest here, I used to have the exact same stance on the hub. Until these past few rounds I noticed some very quality play and some of the most interesting rounds in a long time occur on the Torch. Just cause we are on the hub doesn’t make us some trash server, we have staff to monitor and protect against grief, a playerbase to represent some qualityish RP that hopefully draws some new players in? It’s free advertising.

ThatOneGuy likes this.
  8. Syndikate

Syndikate Sol Gov Pilot

Seriously. I had my best medical staff in...ever last night. And It was almost entirely full of new players. New people doesn't = "Oh god oh god"

9. F-Tang Steve

F-Tang Steve Serpentid Species Maintainer

If they were new, how would they know how to do baymed? It's pretty unique to this server.

10. Syndikate

Syndikate Sol Gov Pilot

I mean new as in, since the start of us being on the hub. They'd joined as corpsman trainees over the last few rounds and finally moved to more advanced positions

11. Sbotkin

Sbotkin Senior Enlisted Advisor

You have no idea how many servers run on Baystation forks. It's a really popular build.

Literally, I was playing on Bay's build for 3-4 years before I switched to the official Baystation12, nothing here was new for me mechanically.

Curt5, Meyar and F-Tang Steve like this.
  12. Endoreon

Endoreon Retired Staff

>Regularly see 2-4 xenos a round
    >especially different species and not just resomi/tajaran like exodus
    [​IMG]

Please don't act like this has been the case since at least late 2017, because it hasn't. It's different now.

Blazerules, LordLoko, Huntime and 3 others like this.
  13. Morguemeat

Morguemeat Donator

I am just absolutely blown away by all of the pro MilRP people here trying the hardest they can to invent a battle that they can feel like they're winning. For the love of the gods and all that may be considered holy, I have already said that I don't want to get rid of MilRP. I want to give you guys the Torch, the ENTIRE FREAKING SHIP to do with as you please. I just want something off-ship to do that I can enjoy, yet you guys are still going on and on and tearing down those of us that were absolutely dicked over by the Torch until literal MONTHS later when everything was finally eased up. I don't know about you, but having to wait months of actual real life time for a change that didn't seem like it was ever actually going to happen and was widely decried in thread after thread is asking a bit much of us. Apparently not having superhuman tolerances for incredible amounts of bullshit makes us fair-weather players. I doubt many of you would still be around after all this time if we removed MilRP for several months without any deadline of it returning. You're really painting a fantastic picture of your side of things, a bunch of loud uncompromising bullies that would rather pick fights than let us have our slice of pie too.

Me, I'm still here. I was close at times, but I never entirely lost hope. I'm still here, just waiting for the right time to play again. Now please, can we stop yelling at each other and work together to make the server as much fun as possible for as many people as possible?

Butbu and LorenLuke like this.
  14. Privateer

Privateer Research Director

Keeping an eye on thecthread here, I've seen a lot of talk about how people weren't miffee by MilRP, simply how the whole thing was handled.

While understandable, I argue focusing on what the setting will or won't be might be more productive.

Especially with the suggestion post made, I think people are falsely assuming that the two poles in this fight are MilRP fleeties, and civs, and as long as we have both everyone's happy.

I honestly prefer the EC over all of it, and any setting that just guts the EC to some side status isn't a solution. I agree with another poster that a government ship adds a geopoliticial dynamic that you don't find in some independent ship or science station. If anything, we should double down on that.

Echoing as well, I'm not sure where anyone's coming from saying the EC is at all military, beyond ranks and uniforms. And if people are playing EC as an super Moto thing... Perhaps some lore might be useful to illustrate that it's not. Maybe unionized EC personnel to better illustrate that unlike Fleet, you're not doing white tornados and what not to EC staff?

15. Faustico

Faustico Petty Officer First Class

This might be a bit off topic but I think that the recent change that let's people latejoin on the 'Bearcat' ship is an interesting step in that direction.

16. mcspizzy

mcspizzy Bartender

No...no, no...I pay a measly ten out of the other two people who pay twenty on the patreon, but I would dislike it greatly if my opinion held more over another simply because I spent my own money here every month. We donate because we want bay to stay alive, not because we want our words to hold extra stake. And I we because I'd like to think thats why everyone donates, least that's why I do (and for the teal name tag).

EDIT: So yeah, I agree with the last statement saying your statement is dumb...man I'm tired :rolleyes:

Earthcrusher likes this.
  17. Endoreon

Endoreon Retired Staff

Actually what's sad is that you think being on the hub devolves a server at all. A toxic mindset like that is exactly why people still stereotype Bay as a clique server. HRP doesn't make you a higher intellectual nor better than hub players, Rick and Morty does amigo.

18. Earthcrusher

Earthcrusher SMASHER/DEVOURER Laser Tag 2019 Participant

I'll ban the next person that posts that video

19. Jackalhunter

Jackalhunter Retired Staff

I know I'm probably late to the party, but I wanted to add my two cents for all that it's worth.

Back when I was on the staff team right before the Torch started, I was personally excited for it. I had played hours upon hours of Exodus, and while I enjoyed each hour I played of it, the idea of a brand new setting was enticing. MilRP? That's new to me and sounds like it could be fun! So we had our first play test of it and I was 100% sold. The game felt new again, it felt refreshing in a way that even coming back from a long break couldn't give. Without a second thought I voted for the full switch over to the Torch which now looking back on it, I regret. I'm ashamed to admit I was one of those people who thought those that didn't like the setting change should just get over it. Make new characters, there's contractor slots for xenos, it's fine! It's time for change! Well a lot of the players I loved interacting with and seeing on the server regularly just stopped playing, or at least not as frequently as they did before. The Torch, the setting, and the attitude around it drove a lot of them away from the server, and I want to apologize for that if it's worth anything.

But onto the topic at hand, with all that I said above do I think that moving to an Independent Torch is a good move? No, absolutely not. The drastic shift from non-MilRP to MilRP lost a lot of players that we're not going to get back. But now Torch has finally started to find it's footing and stand on it's own, and many players are here now because of that. To switch now would be to repeat what we did when first put the Torch in. The time for Independent Torch was back when it was first introduced. Not now. What needs to happen is make the setting that we have now better, and focus on that.

mcspizzy, Lindhrive, Endoreon and 5 others like this.
  20. purplemontart

purplemontart #1 Tree Dad Game Administrator Diona Species Maintainer

I'm really new, and I've not played elsewhere, but I really like he MilRP. Since there's already civilians in the game, removing it feels like just removing a layer that won't be replaced, rather than removing it to add something new.

Like others have said why not instead expand the civilian roles that are there?

UsuallyBurk and ThatOneGuy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.