Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AnomalousStar - Dionaea

Discussion in 'Alien Species' started by AnomalousStar, May 1, 2021.

1. AnomalousStar

AnomalousStar Bartender

About You

What is your Byond key?
    AnomalousStar

What is your Discord username?
    fleen fuck

This will probably have changed. I am sorry.

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    Date-wise? Since 2019. Actual play-time wise? I've left and come back twice now after long-term breaks, the last one was nearly (if not) a year.

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    Jared Rader
    Gregory Murphy
    Vince Leichter

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    Dionaea

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    Diona were always the most interesting to me out of all the Bay species: even more inquisitive than humanity, yet they're almost entirely passive and non-violent. Back in the day, being a Nymph, exploring the ship, interacting with the crew (in that nymph kind of way) and learning? That was one of the most fun things to do after a round got ended prematurely by death of some form. Was kind of sad to see it got whitelisted to be a Nymph, but, on the other hand, I understand why. My personal first few Nymph rounds were... uh... not good?

Playing with people who play Diona characters makes this even more so. Just so interesting to interact and play with. I want to try and explore the space myself, if that makes any sense.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    The Skin Melting Off The Food As It Spins In The Campfire (Skin Melting)
    A Beautiful Sunset On A Dying World (Beautiful Sunset)
    The Rush Of Burning Air Through An Opened Shutter (Burning Air)

Summarize what you know about the species.
    Very inquisitive, almost in a child-like fashion. The thing they value most is knowledge- they don't seek material gain. They're out to explore, gain knowledge, and return it to the great gestalts. They don't understand violence- or perhaps it's more like they can't? They don't get why one person would harm another. They can figure out that it's happened (they can still be CI) but, why it was done? They'll never understand it, no matter how much they ask.

They also tend to not understand the idea of personal or mental space according to the wiki, and they'll be tricky as get out to find out something new, so if they want to learn something, they'll use whatever tricks they have learned to get that knowledge.

Last mental bit? They can't actually feel emotions, not like other species. They're actually closer to IPCs in this way- though they are *very* good at emulating emotions. So they don't actually get angry, or sad. Theoretically, if a Diona wanted to, they could flip from emulating sad to being very happy to being neutral, all in one conversation. However, they try their best to fit in to human culture and respond to the negative feedback they get. A diona that is new to human society might give a very uncanny valley like response to people, but one that has been around humans a long time might fit in very well.

One of the biggest things is that while Nymphs can be "grown" on the SEV Torch and other places, they need to combine with at least one nymph originally from a gestalt (or from one that has a nymph originally from a gestalt? Wiki isn't quite clear on that) to be able to get all the molecule-parsing viruses they need.

Also, while they *do* have the ability to split, that's not something they do. It's very, very bad for them to lose cohesion. Their goal is to get together, not split apart. It'd be like splitting your brain into a million pieces, each with a different bit of, well, you.

P.S.: Second application, first was denied here two years back for reference and full disclosure: https://forums.baystation12.net/threads/anomalousstar-dionaea.8099/

2. purplemontart

purplemontart #1 Tree Dad Game Administrator Diona Species Maintainer

Hello, sorry, I'm not dead I swear, I'll get to this within the next 24 hours.

3. purplemontart

purplemontart #1 Tree Dad Game Administrator Diona Species Maintainer

Okay I like your app. As for the "nymph from a gestalt" thing, it just means they need one nymph that either grew from or was once a part of a gestalt that also either had a nymph that grew from a gestalt or had been from a gestalt that... back and back and back. They need to have formed an immature (read: like those on the Torch) gestalt in order to get the proper extra bits of organisms, what have you. As long as the gestalt has one that did, it's fine and dandy. Gestalt without it will wind up malforming.

I'm going to note in here that having seen your activity, I don't personally find the gaps too bad, what I do like is your high activity when you *do* play. So if you get this app accepted, it'll be on a trial basis, just while it's made sure that you're getting along fine.

Drop me a character app and then we'll get to the customary questions.

4. AnomalousStar

AnomalousStar Bartender

Okay, sounds good. Sorry for the late reply, been doing other things lately myself. Out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean by character app? Like an example character?
    If that's the case- mm. How about a Diona who is a Janitor? They took the job because one of the nymphs that makes them up watched a Janitor for a long time before joining a gestalt, and they discovered that Janitors often see and hear things that a lot of people don't get to see and hear about, simply because they go to sites where things happened to clean them up. They aren't so good at the whole "focusing on cleaning" unless there's nothing to learn about, in which case they clean up as fast as they can so they can go see the next new thing.
    A name could be... "Mess Leading", short for "Mess leading to a grand discovery."
    Dunno if that's good it's really late and I need to pass out for the night. If I completely misunderstood (aforementioned "I need sleep") please let me know! Thanks!

jaydno likes this.