Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anonymous Feedback on Staff

Discussion in 'Public Staff Forum' started by Miraviel, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Miraviel

Miraviel Game Administrator

I'd like to gather anonymous feedback from players on the staff members to see how we are doing, what are we doing right, and what are we doing wrong. Here are my reasons why:
    • While we do have a staff complaints subforum, it is not as often used as it should be. I believe the main issue for this is because it is simply not anonymous: players are afraid of repercussions if they voice their negative opinion about staff members. This being grounded or not is NOT a discussion for now. It is just what I see and used to feel in every community I have been to.
    • For the same reason above, anonymous feedback would let the players voice their honest opinion. No finger-pointing at months-old forum posts where "but x said this, y said that". Just pure and simple feedback.
    • Constructive criticism would help the staff to grow and help to demolish that "staff vs. players" mentality that we seem to have.
    • If it was successful, we could do this every half a year/annually, running it for a week, and advertising it on the server. A small timeframe would encourage players to do it right there and then because there would not be another opportunity to tell their unfiltered opinion on things they are concerned about, for a very long time.
    And the inevitable downsides:
    • It will need some heavy filtering. These feedback surveys always yield a lot of non-constructive or just straight toxic feedback. I could do the trimming and upload all of the unchanged results as well (to avoid fraud) but if there are any higher-ups who would do it, I am not insisting on it.
    • There will be negative feedback. A lot. Not necessarily because the staff member in question is indeed that bad but because of personal grudges and whatnot. These have to be sucked up and moved on; those that are genuinely helpful could be taken into consideration.
    • It was done before and it was not too successful. That might deter us from doing it again but I believe the playerbase has greatly changed ever since and we should give them another chance.
    One thing that we would have to emphasize in the survey is that we are looking for their opinion but such opinions should be constructive, whether they are positive or negative. We should not ask for a hundred percent objective feedback because we are talking about feedback on people, from people, and neither side is a psychologist (or not all of us).

I'd also like to emphasize that this survey should NOT include questions related to the server, the server's direction or anything related to lore or mechanics. It has to focus on one single thing and in this case, it should be us, staff members.

Thoughts?

2. Spookerton

Spookerton Public Kohai № 1 Staff Manager Manager Senior Administrator Community Moderator Donator

Every time we do this it's not impactful at best and detrimental at worst. As you frame it this time in particular, it would amount to an anonymous opportunity to throw unverifiable complaints and assorted insults into a box and have them read off in staff room after some poor sap has had to sift through them, so I can't see it being anything more than painful for everyone involved.

I also simply don't see a need in the real world; I don't accept the wave-off in your first pro point because as it's written, it's the overwhelming majority of your reason to want to do this. Subjective assertions aren't fact and, besides, most complaints are made informally to senior staff rather than written up for public pageantry.

... So more generally, do not want?

Eckles and Earthcrusher like this.
  3. ТhatOneGuy

ТhatOneGuy Unathi Species Maintainer

It’s been soso in the past. I think the idea comes from a good place and if rightfully used would work great for the players but it doesn’t end up that way generally

4. Loaf

Loaf THE SIGNAL THE SIGNAL THE SIGNAL

I do not feel obligated to listen to or care about people who are unwilling to use the existing channels. I don't think it would be useful and I think it would encourage shitslinging and burnout more than it would fix anything.

Earthcrusher likes this.