Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denied Atlantiscze - Developer application #2

Discussion in 'Developers - Archive' started by Atlantis, Jun 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atlantis

Atlantis Retired Staff

As @sabiram asked me to reapply, here's the thread:

BYOND Key: Atlantiscze
    Github profile URL: https://github.com/atlantiscze
    Featured PRs:
    Full list
    TLDR:
    • Pretty much the whole modular computer framework, including large portion (~75-80%) of programs that are implemented for it.
    • New shield generators
    • Malfunction and Meteor modes (i'm not saying they are ideal, but i still think they are better than they used to be!)
    • JMerge merge driver which was a replacement for old java mapmerge, and used before map format change
    • Various bug fixes, NanoUIs, etc.
    Why do you want to become a developer?:
    I think that right now the repository needs more people to do reviewing. Sure, anyone can review and point out flaws, but only very few people can actually approve and merge the changes, which can get quite lengthy. Furthermore, this results in somewhat limited amount of opinions in the development team, which means there is often nobody from the team representing the "other side" on various controversial PRs to provide constructive feedback - which is what i hope to do.

As for the "developer skills trio" or whatever is it called:
    Knowledge: I think there is no problem here - i work as a java developer for some time now, and i've been around ss13 coding for about.. four years? Maybe even longer. Therefore i know both theoretical principlies and how it works in practical application. When i was a bit more active i scoured pretty much all areas of the code, so i think i have a pretty broad knowledge of how it works. As for github and developer position, i've already had github access back during the developer/maintainer split where i applied for the first time, so in short, i know how to push the buttons.

Activity: Now, i understand this is where people are going to be concerned, as i haven't had a PR for pretty long time (few months). The reason for this is that all of my computers are now running on linux, as windows 7 has tendency to commit suicide on them after running for few days for some reason. However, i'm still checking the forums and github on pretty much daily basis, i'm just not as visible as i used to be. Chances are that if you write me a forum message, i'll reply within few minutes if i'm not sleeping/busy in work or something.

Behavior: Hard to judge myself, but i think that i am a fairly calm person. Usually, when i am voicing my opinion i try to back it with facts, and use these as my primary argument. I don't have problem with helping someone or explaining the basics, as i already demonstrated quite a few times.

Thats pretty much it. Feel free to ask questions or provide comments, either here or through PMs.

Sbotkin likes this.
  2. ZeroBits

ZeroBits Retired Staff

Atlantis is a goddamn amazing dev. I don't always agree with him on PRs, and he can be pretty opinionated. But he knows his stuff one hell of a lot better than most.

3. Sbotkin

Sbotkin Senior Enlisted Advisor

Please, approve our modular overlord! Atlantis gave us a ton of good things, and he is communicative enough and always could explain why he does this or that, which is extremely good skill for a developer. Tbh I am kinda surprised that he wasn't one.

ZeroBits likes this.
  4. Sabira

Sabira Donator

Unfortunately, I will be denying this application based on a consensus of opinion from the active development team. Thank you for your contributions, and I'm sincerely sorry it took since March for your situation to be sorted out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.