Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ban Appeal - mrgunk - Textor45

Discussion in 'Accepted Appeals' started by Mr. Gunk, Feb 11, 2019 at 4:22 PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Gunk

Mr. Gunk Assistant

BYOND Key: mrgunk

Date and Time of Ban: 2019/08/02 18:30:50

Character name at time of banning: Can't remember

Name of admin who banned you: textor45

Jobs you were banned from (if applicable): All command

Reason you were banned: Trolling as commanding officer

Duration of ban:Not stated

IRC hostmask (only if you're banned from IRC):

Discord username (only if you're banned from Discord or dev channels):

GitHub username (only if you're banned from the repository):

Reason you should be unbanned:
    Hey, guys, First and foremost my apologies if I broke any rules. I did somewhat troll as commanding officer, but I did nothing too drastically effect or ruin the game experience for anyone else. I was simply trying to make life difficult for the Executive for disobeying an order. I decided to change his personnel profile and printed it out and handed it to a few of the crew before logging out for the night.

I have played successful games as CO before and had very rewarding role-playing experiences and this is the first time I've ever had a brush-in with any other players. So, I apologise to the person who was playing the executive order -- I was merely just trying to spice up the role-play by playing a disgruntled commanding officer.

I wasn't aware that I was breaking any rules and I hope that the administration has it in their hearts to remove the ban and the restrictions apposed to my account post-ban. I chose this server because of the amazing community and the focus on heavy role-play. Thought I could role-play into some shenanigans but I learned from my mistake.

If this appeal is rejected -- no harm, no foul. Amazing server you guys have here and I wish you guys the best of luck!

All the best :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 4:33 PM
  2. Textor

Textor Game Administrator

Why did you feel, as the commanding officer, it was appropriate to change what amounts to official records for personnel on board the ship, including changing things to indicate that their religion was the "KKK," he exposed himself to a minor, dressed up as Hitler at a bat mitzvah, was HIV positive, and was in the "LGBTQ" "faction" rather than disciplining the person though appropriate means for disobeying an order?

The bottom line is that we don't consider this to be realistic roleplaying and is basically just making a bunch of modern political references for a cheap laugh. Our standards here for roleplaying are higher than that and the demands of our commanding officer role is one of the highest of all roles on our server.

I want you to go through the rules and tell me which rules you think you broke and how you should handle this sort of situation in the future.

Additionally, you logged off inappropriately as the CO, so I'll point to rule 15 as one of the ones you did break.

3. Mr. Gunk

Mr. Gunk Assistant

Completely understand. Aim was to discredit the executive officer to win over the crew; obviously that didn't work. My cheap trick failed terrible. People assumed the commander had gone mad and rightfully so. One thing that didn't occur to me at the time is that I might have actually been offensive -- that was never my intention.

I've had many wonderful experiences with serious role-play as many different classes, including command; and honestly I preferred those times. I felt that try to create some shenanigans through role-play just cheapened the experience.

As for rule 15, just had some family matters to attend to but I intended to return, just wasn't an option. My apologies.

Again, I respect the ban. In hindsight this wasn't funny and just annoying. If you do decide to lift the ban and the restrictions imposed, I can guarantee you that it wont happen again. My actions cheapened the experience for all involved, that was not my intention, but it happened.

Here are the rules I feel I broke:

Main Rule, 7. Don't Powergame.

Although it technically isn't powergaming by definition, I certainly think that my actions could be considered as a form of powergaming; I took advantage of my role to manipulate a players information.

Main Rule, 15. Leave play correctly.

I didn't enter the cryo chamber which meant for the duration of the round no-one else was able to access this role. It was unintentional, but regardless I did break this rule.

Character Rule, 9. Roleplay with regard for others.

I clearly didn't do this in regards to the executive officer. I meant no harm, but can definitely see how it may have cheapened his experience.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 6:29 PM
  4. Textor

I'd also argue that you broke character rule 2. Tell me what parts of that rule you broke and what would you do in the future to avoid breaking that rule.

5. Mr. Gunk

Mr. Gunk Assistant

You could definitely argue that, but more specifically rule 2.3

Common sense was not used when making alterations to the executives file. In which you could also argue rule 2.1. My character responded immaturely for someone of his rank.

I didn't think so at the time, but hindsight had definitely given me a new perspective.

Going forward, I would think it's wise not to try to influence the role play nor the narrative using cheap and silly roleplay tactics and instead let the narrative form naturally through actual gameplay mechanics and rule abiding role-play.

6. Textor

Alright, I'm going to lift your server ban. I'm going to leave your command ban in place, with the exception of bridge officer. If you can demonstrate you can play in a more appropriate manner you may re-appeal the command ban in 2 weeks. Not playing during this time will not count, so if you want to have the ban lifted you will need to put in a reasonable amount of playtime before the appeal goes in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.