Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bigboy911 - Iberian

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by bigboy911, Sep 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigboy911

bigboy911 Bartender

About You

What is your Byond key?
    Bigboy911

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    A while. My first species application was in October of 2018.

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    Sun, Phillippon

About The Language

What language are you applying for?
    Iberian

Why do you want to be able to speak this language?
    My character, Taykhs Akhen, should be able to speak it according to its backstory. He comes from a tribe where intelligence and knowledge is a virtue, and usually the Kaahnepo and the Matriarch are seen as scholars within the tribe. My character would pick up Iberian while working in the EC exchange program.

How does the language sound? What difficulties would the character you want to speak it have in trying to speak it?
    My character would have trouble with the unvoiced alveolar fricative (s sound), as per species standards, and with words using the unvoiced velar plosive (k sound) It'd sound a lot like Iberian languages, and local loanwords depending on dialect. Example sentences I have constructed, which I imagine it'd sound like in normal conversation with spelling.

"Óla, ké tal?" (How are you?)

"Muy bié, e vós?" (Very good, and you?)

My characters voice would be from the gut, and would not be able to do the accent with languages very well. He would not sound like a native speaker in terms of voice, but with vocabulary, he would sound native, given the time he had to learn the language. He'd still have its difficulties, like with ZAC, since they're both alien languages, but he'd manage well.

Summarize what you know about the language.
    I'd assume it's mainly a mix of Spanish, Portuguese, Basque and Catalan. It'd definitely have mainly Spanish pronouns, and use mostly Iberian dialects of forementioned languages instead of their Latin American counterparts. Therefore, words like vosotros and vos would come into use, and when asking how someone is, it'd be most likely something along the lines of ¿Que tal? other than ¿Como estas?. The writing would probably include Spanish and Catalan stress marks to indicate stress and vowel quality. Accented vowels in Portuguese words would probably be adapted to the new alphabet, therefore dropping the accent marks. I feel like realistically, there would be a large divide in Latin American and Iberian dialects of this new language. The Latin American dialects would include native orthography and loan words (think how Mexican dialects use some Nahuatl words), and the Iberian dialects would include loan words from local languages (think Galician or Leonese). Verb conjugation would probably be like Spanish, but simplified. I'd assume with influence from even bigger languages like ZAC, they'd incorporate some Germanic rules, like pronouns having to go before the verb everytime. I think in the native tongue, the language itself would be called "Ibérrico" (From Catalan Ibèric). Overall, it would be a highly divided language in terms of dialect. I think Latin Americans and Iberians would be like the Dutch and Afrikaners, with different spellings and different loanwords, and even different pronouns (ustedes and vosotros). This divide would come even more as the language evolves further from the 21st century.

2. Spookerton

Spookerton Public Kōhai №1 Director of Administration Head Administrator Game Administrator IPC Species Maintainer Donator

Eh. Sure. Done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.