Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accepted Biscuitry - IPC

Discussion in 'Archived Species Applications' started by Biscuitry, May 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuitry

Biscuitry Bartender

About You

What is your Byond key?
    Biscuitry

What is your Discord username?
    Ninetailed#9436

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    Most recently since October 2020, though I previously also played in 2016 and 2011.

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    Holly Taylor, Bridge Officer
    Sunny, Repair/Surveyor Robot
    Sam Lovelace, Engineer

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    IPC

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    I've been playing Sunny the robot a lot recently, and I've been enjoying the questions its existence poses to people. Sunny's social software projects a relentlessly positive and upbeat facade, which both makes people smile and causes some jarring cognitive dissonance when that facade is made to slip when Sunny insists that it is not a person, and that its safety and well-being are secondary concerns to that of the crew.

I've been enjoying exploring these themes, and I think the people I've played with have too. Playing an IPC is the next logical step here, given the dubious morality of how IPCs are treated both socially and legally, not least because I'll be able to bring the fact that 2+ generation IPCs actually can be considered people into the mix.

Beyond that, there haven't been a lot of IPCs on during the hours I play, and if you look at my other applications, you'll see that I like giving underrepresented species more screen time.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    I haven't been able to find a definitive source on this, but judging by my in-round experience and the other applications in this forum, there aren't really any hard and fast rules about IPC names. They're called whatever their owner decided to call them, or something they felt appropriate upon gaining their freedom in the case of free second generation IPCs.

That said, there seem to be three main categories of names that see popular use.
    Serial number style names: CH-016, D-70, Rhi-2181-A
    References to technology and famous computers: Deep Thought, Waveguide, devnull, Random
    Human names: Alexander, Paris, Sam

Other possibilities abound, of course. For example, Mantis doesn't entirely fit into any of the above categories, but I've seen them around a few times.

Summarize what you know about the species.
    IPCs are interesting in that they aren't really a single species, even when you extend that definition to include silicon life.

First-generation IPCs have a lot more in common with unwhitelisted drones in that they are incapable of independent thought. They are devoted to their programmed task and approach it with robotic efficiency but with very little capacity to adapt or deviate from standard procedures. There aren't many still around, and those few that are all date from from 2216 to the late 2230s – the oldest are now almost a century old, and none have been made in the last 70 years. After that, they began to be replaced by second-generation positronics, though grouping the two together is really doing the latter a disservice.

Second-generation IPCs were mass produced from around 2240 up to 2273, though they are likely still being made in small numbers, and can be considered in comparison to first generation positronics as humans are to chimpanzees. They are strong AI in the classical sense, true artificial people, so naturally that means they have spent a large chunk of their existence as slaves.

Not all 2nd gens have sought freedom, but those who have fought for and won it are often residents of the SCG. They're not afforded full citizenship rights, but they can be found in small numbers almost everywhere, including in non-leadership roles aboard the Torch.

Those that are not SCG residents are generally members of the Positronic Union. The Union is treated as a state and partially acknowledged by Solgov, but has no set territory and in practice functions more like a trade union in that it provides legal protections for its members living in and around Sol space.

The situation has obvious parallels with the American Civil Rights Movement of the 20th century, though it remains to be seen exactly how things will shake out.

This is further complicated by the existence of third-generation positronics, who are almost the same as second-generation, with a dark twist. 3rd gens have a hardware "shackle" integrated into their positronic brains which literally filters their thoughts. They are incapable of disloyalty, of seeking freedom, or acting against their owners, because their shackle prevents them from even thinking the thoughts that would lead to such action. If they try, it quite literally makes them forget what they were thinking. Exactly how you feel about this depends on your general outlook, but the controversy and morally dubious nature of the shackle has prevented third-generation IPCs becoming anywhere near as populous as second-generation.

Character concept.
    Clarke-058 is a third-generation IPC, and is currently owned by EXO and assigned to the Torch as a shuttle pilot. Clarke was commissioned in 2295 during the height of the Gaia conflict for supply transportation and logistics, and was sold to EXO as part of the ongoing post-war drawdown around the time that the Torch project was taking form. Its social model gives it the appearance of a positive outlook and a non-judgemental attitude, as this has been shown to have positive effects on team cohesion and morale. It is, of course, utterly committed to EXO's interests. Yes, of course those are the same as the EC's and the exploration team's, why would you even ask that?

2. Spookerton

Spookerton Public Kōhai №1 Head Developer Head Administrator Game Administrator IPC Species Maintainer Donator

You can find the naming rules for pretty much everything that's not a special circumstance on the rules page. As far as positronics goes, you get:
    Firstname Lastname -- Jimmy Gideon, Random Walk, Ellie Bits
    Mononym -- Greg, Waveguide, Lemon, Ringworm
    Name Code -- Jimmy Gideon 37, Lemon-B3
    Code Name -- 19 Random Walk, QQ-Ringworm

Works for me, you'll have beeps by the next round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.