Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accepted Boznar - Unathi

Discussion in 'Archived Species Applications' started by Boznar, Jun 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boznar

Boznar baaaaaznar Game Administrator

About You

What is your Byond key?
    boznar

What is your Discord username?
    Boznar#4953

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    3 years, give or take

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    My active ones change week to week. Some more recent would be Zoey Winter, Sigrid Kristensen, Rhythm of Life, and a few offships.

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    Unathi

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    Because I want to play a big lizard who can express emotions with spectacular results, and because I can relate to an unathi on a baseline level of carnivorous anger.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    Shri'ik Gresis
    Khar Tessereck
    Ulazar Ueo Jarsk

Summarize what you know about the species.

Unathi are a species of large reptilians hailing from the planet Moghes. they are divided into into two subtypes, the land adapted Sinta and the aquatic Yeosa islanders. Physically, they possess many traits akin to earth reptiles, including cold blooded biology and forked tongues for sensing their surroundings. They are carnivorous in nature, and have very high metabolisms deriving from an active lifestyle on what is an unforgiving homeworld. This is a problem in colder environments such as starships, where their metabolism becomes a liability forcing them to require substantial nutrition. Aside from these traits, they are also noted for having remarkable regenerative capabilities.

The sheer brutality of unathi culture and society starts at birth, with unathi children hatching from eggs as murderous teeth monsters. As they develop into adulthood, they outgrow their aggression to be productive members of a clan.

Unathi society is centered around clan structure, with clan influence being determined by a clan's size and stature. Each clan is led by a clan leader, or Khaanepo. And a Matriarch. The Khaanepo is an elder male elected from the clan elders. The Matriarch is the oldest and most experienced female. Within the clan, the Khaanepo wields sole executive authority, and also is the front of diplomacy with other clans. The Matriarch ensures the day to day operation of the clan, and acts as a mentor and administrator to the greater clan. Clan hierarchy is often determined by experience, with older clan members typically having more responsibility and authority.

Interclan relations vary from cooperation to all out warfare. Some clans take on a role of leadership, and are called the Krukzuz. Using their influence, they garner support from smaller clans and are put into a position of relative centralized power. Despite this, unathi society is still fairly decentralized, and they have no unified government with sole authority over the planet. This further is shown in the varying level of technology and development among clans. While unathi are not necessarily primitive, many parts of Moghes still rely on rudimentary and dated technology.

The clans are often associated with the particular region they're from. And Unathi take great pride in their work in accordance with their religious doctrines, and the specialty their clan is known for, whether it be the traders at the poles, or the agricultural savanna, the militant desert, the herbalists of the swamp, or the industrious diamond peaks. This idea is further reinforced by their religion. Based on ancestor worship and the glorification of the afterlife in spiritualism, their doctrine has many tenants, but most follow the main four to honor their ancestors' spirits: The Grand Strategem, the Fruitful Lights, the Hand of the Vine, and the Markesheli. All tenants are based on the memory of the enigmatic precursors.

The precursors are an enigmatic race that settled Moghes long ago. While their relationship with the unathi is poorly understood, it is clear that they came into conflict with the fledgling unathi. In any case, the precursors had a substantial impact on unathi society, and their memory is echoed in the written and oral traditions of the clans.

Due to Moghes proximity to humanity, they were quickly discovered by the spacefaring humans. Because of this, the greater clans of the south formed a Hegemony, with a goal of setting their race on the galactic stage. While the relationships with humanity have generally been cordial, the diversity in opinions of each of the clans have made it difficult for the unathi to create a unified base with which to make themselves more apparent in galactic society. Despite this, unathi have done what they can to be cooperative, resulting in a transfer program with the Expeditionary Corps, as well as settling on human worlds such as Tersten and colonizing their own.

Character Concept:
    Zr'rago Jez'vik hails from the Great Desert. He is an older Sinta who hunted amongst the sands for decades, constantly being bombarded with tales of how Jez'vik and Ulig'vas united in blood against tyranny. As a young sinta, Zr'rago constantly looked to the stars, rather than the sands. For while the Grand Strategem preached the doctrine of betterment for the ancestors, he was still insignificant in the accomplishments of humanity and the skrell. He decided that he needed to do his part, and with his bright eyed youth flaring up once again, he signed on to take part in the exchange program. Of course, it never occurred to him that a personal space journey and glory to the unathi would result in one of the most cold and uneventful postings in deep space. However he knows his duty to the ancestors, and helps protect people as a member of security just as he did in the harsh desert.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    ryan062 likes this.
  2. Deadmon_Wonderland

Deadmon_Wonderland Sol Gov Pilot

Looks fine to me, a few things I noticed were:

The actual origin of the precursors is unknown, whilst conflict is a relatively new theory proposed by a Ba'ask scholar, it's still rather controversial and not widely accepted due to the lack of evidence, this is referred here:
    I also noticed this bit:
    This is true, but I feel like it's also simplifying it too much. The hegemony, convent, and league all have their own territories that they inhabit. Admittedly their reach isn't very well communicated, but every spaceport is controlled by the Rah'Zakeh league, Ssen-Uuma Convent, or the Moghes Hegemony. While the league does not have as many interactions with the other two factions, the Hegemony and Convent have worked together on various projects, including things like their teleportation technology and the home defense fleet.

Other than that, I don't have much issue with the rest other than it being a bit simple, I'll trust you do your research on any characters you want to play, so I don't have many qualms with it. Trial is 2 weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.