Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged Bridge Deck Tweaks

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Cakey, Jun 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cakey

Cakey Sol Gov Pilot

Link to PR

Summary of changes: A factual, unbiased summary of your changes.
    [​IMG]
    1. Straightens out the main hallways to not be crooked. Moved several rooms around to compensate (no space has been lost).
    2. Re-adds photocopiers and paper shredders to heads of staff officers. Re-shuffled COS and CE offices to utilise space better, as well as make the desks look like actual desks instead of cubicles. Also re-adds disposal chutes to heads of staff offices.
    3. Redesigned the bridge deck stairwell to put the vending machines in an appropriate area, while not creating a funnel into the security checkpoint. Made the checkpoint slightly bigger.
    4. Re-added disposal tags to the heads of staff offices.
    Why these changes should be made: Your own reasoning for wanting your PR merged.
    I wanted to flesh out the newly created bridge deck with some tweaks for the better, as after playing command crew for a few rounds I felt annoyed with some aspects of the new layout. I made several of these changes base off of feedback from other players as well.

2. afterthought

afterthought Head Developer Developer

Let me remind everyone that this is the gameplay changes subforum, and will be moderated strictly. Do not attack others; do not veer off topic. The point is to discuss the substance of the above changes. If I find people being uncivil or violating subforum rules, they will be punished.

WezYo likes this.
  3. Eckles

Eckles Cake Seller Senior Administrator Game Administrator Skrell Species Maintainer

For me, personally:

1. I sorta actually liked the crookedness, gave the hallway a bit of character. Less perfect symmetry, that kinda thing. Didn't really see the need to make it all perfect, sometimes it's nice to have that "slightly off" feel.
    2. I don't really see why the disposals systems and other office things got put back in the offices. They're rarely used and equate to clutter rather than useful items, given how very little use was actually required for each thing. Having one lot centralised pretty much covered the need for them to exist without clogging up space with them. Headstaff don't really need their own personal ones of these items. They aren't particularly helpful to have in the grand scheme of things and they tend to make the rooms look overfilled and industrial-ish.
    3. I just prefer how it is now, to be honest, don't have much criticism either way.

flying_loulou likes this.
  4. Cakey

Cakey Sol Gov Pilot

No comment on the other points but I've seen disposals and office machines used often, as well as using them often myself. I use the photocopier every round, as well as disposals when I play heads of staff, and having to walk all the way to the conference room just to do that is a bit much.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  5. Emmanuel Bassil

Emmanuel Bassil Senior Enlisted Advisor

While I don't think fax machines are that needed, I do think disposals are.

Having to leave my office to throw out something makes no sense to me, both game play wise and role play wise.

Office machines in each room can die. Many real life offices now centralize them all in one room, and to good effect.

Banditoz likes this.
  6. Boznar

Boznar Bartender

Bring back the office disposals for sure. But the shredders, copiers, and (in my opinion) fax machines are a waste of space and rarely used. Otherwise stairwell change makes sense and is fully supported and I have no opinion on the hallways.

7. Roland410

Roland410 Petty Officer First Class

The only thing I could support about it is the disposals and office shredders, and copiers as I objected to those in the first place. Everything else is fine as-is.

8. SierraKomodo

SierraKomodo Command Keyword Detected

Regarding the fax machines, do note that fax machines have been used, to great effect, by antagonist command support roles. Removing that removes an avenue antags can use to provide a story.

9. Cakey

Cakey Sol Gov Pilot

I did not add any fax machines in this pr. They already existed

10. Atebite

Atebite Assistant

Crooked hallways defeat the purpose of hallways. They're made for high traffic and high speed. It's like making a highway that twists and turns, it's just bad design.

I personally got confused about where to go to get my paperwork done as CE when I realized the photocopier and shredder was removed from the office. Even if you don't want them in each office, the conference room is probably the worst place you could choose to place communal paperwork machinery in (for hopefully obvious reasons).

This is a personal side note, but I feel like the core of all the recent bridge deck changes is this weird mentality of "we need to perfectly utilize all the space we're given!" While at the same time those changes make the spaces less usable. I think that the need for functional spaces far outweighs the need for efficiently utilized spaces, even if the function is rarely used (e.g. paperwork machines).

11. BlueNexus

BlueNexus Retired Staff

I honestly think it had more character before, with stuff like the XO's little hallway island. Having it be a little twisty and turny was more interesting, and gave it more character than just plain, straight corridors.

Sweedle likes this.
  12. afterthought

afterthought Head Developer Developer

OK, verdict is: the PR is good to go ahead as is, after conflicts are resolved and if a dev approves it. Am open to further tweaks down the road as well. Not seeing anything here worth bypassing the usual process for.

On the merits of the changes: would be fine to move the machines to a centralized room, but that room should be dedicated to copying and printing, not the conference room. Disposals should be available to offices; they have useful gameplay interactions. The "crooked hallway" thing is largely a one-tile thing, and the change to crookedness in this PR is minor; some remains.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.