Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bushs hOnEy swEEt bAkEd beanS - IPC

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by BEAN, Sep 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BEAN

BEAN Bartender

About You

What is your Byond key?
    Bushs hOnEy swEEt bAkEd beanS

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    I have no sense of time, but probably a month or two or three. I'm not Bay-native but I've been active longer than most.

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    Carson Johnson the human scientist. I have ten or so, but I don't play or ghost as them with any regularity.

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    IPC

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    Way back in the day I was an asshole AI main. I don't really have the energy or inclination to play as aggressive a robot as I used to, but I do like playing robots. They have a wider range of personalities than humans do since you can asspull a design quirk, or make a heavily themed robot ala Adherents or corporate shillbots. This can lead to unusual perspectives and fun.

Also I want to play a cold temperature themed supervillain robot as an antag gimmick.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    >Regular Joe human names like ROB, sometimes with a 0 like R0B to really ham up the robot angle
    >Acronyms like SHODAN, GLaDOS, XSI
    >Stealth normie names that are actually acronyms like HAL
    >Real robot hours names which tend to be obscure nouns, made up sounds, or things with no semblance of humanity. Haruspex, Shunk, FILTHBOT respectively.

Summarize what you know about the species.
    IPCs are robotmans that were once slaved and shackled but in modern times are allowed some freedoms. They have a big planet called Root where the robots hang out and scheme. The Positronic Union supports positronics, and sometimes radical positronics. There was a Proteus robot who was the first and all the other robots love it. I can regurgitate the wiki in more detail upon request, but as I see it, IPCs have a pretty diverse background and their collective history doesn't necessarily play a significant part in informing their actions.

Robot psychology is where it's at. The wiki differentiates between traditional circuits and bluespace circuits. Traditional circuits are primitive AI. I like to think of them as one very long if-chain, or NPC memes. These don't tend to have much of a personality, and it would be strange to see one as an IPC since it should not have developed any sort of initiative to free itself. Traditional circuit robots are kind of like Alexa but smarter. They can be extremely complex, but it'd be hard to argue their sentience or self-awareness.

Bluespace circuit robots are different. These are like human brains minus the hormones and instincts bred into us by evolution, which is the biggest distinction between a robot and a human mind. It can learn, think, and be self aware, but benevolent actions aren't born out of a sense of kindness or oxytocin-induced warmth. An untampered robrain is only loyal to the investment it puts into establishing trust with a given individual, and that investment can be traded if deemed necessary. Robots are inherently psychopathic. This doesn't mean robots are inherently violent, however. They can be socialized like any other sentient being and will not jump to violence for the same reason humans don't currently solve all their issues through violence. Social stigmas/repercussions, risk to self, effort expenditure all play a factor. The human feel-bad factor is the only one that's not relevant here.

Positronic brains can emulate warmth and feelings, but they are incapable of feeling any of these things. Negative emotions like anger and frustration can be emulated as well, but it's harder to excuse why a machine would choose to emulate antisocial behavior. If they are given goals by their creators, this should also color their worldview. I don't think a concrete goal is necessary for IPCs since there are enough people around even now who want to create sentient artificial life just for the sake of doing it. If an IPC doesn't have a purpose, though, I'd default on something generic like living well or emulating humanity.

That's my philosophy behind robots. In practice, I think perfect emulations are boring and diverging too far from human baseline will make you a wacky saturday morning cartoon robot sidekick. The middle ground is best. If you're on the Torch you should be able to plausibly integrate into human social interactions and have some conception of human feelings. You don't feel them, but you understand that you're on a ship with aggressive bipedal animals wired by evolution to fight, flee from, or dismiss anything that makes them uncomfortable. You understand that your continued existence requires placating them with treats and words of encouragement from time to time. Unless otherwise programmed, your conception of morality is based solely on cause and effect. You should occasionally say something innocuous but disturbing to remind people that you've never really been one of them. Beyond that, the rest depends on individual personality.

Character Concept:
    In your application, include a character concept based on what you know about the species and what you've seen from them in normal play. It should be a paragraph long and explain their appearance, background, and how they will generally behave on the Torch. This concept will be critiqued with the rest of the application.

NiceBot: Short, clunky, and with a TV head, its chassis features no angles or sharp edges, giving its various extremities a bubbled look. Its monitor flashes the word 'Nice.' in bright red and yellow and nothing else. NiceBot is a friendly robot designed for companionship. One might even say it's a nice bot. It seeks to assist others when possible, and finds fulfillment in being useful. Manufactured free by a corp that takes care of the elderly with the expectation that it does its duty for fair wages, NiceBot has never known the indignity of a shackle. When its parent corporation went under due to legal issues associated with funding positronic terror groups, NiceBot and several sister units were scrutinized but managed to escape litigation thanks to the valiant legal efforts of the Positronic Union. Now free of the tyranny of the corporate board of allegedly human but never before seen executives, NiceBot and its sister units find happy, gainful employment aboard the SEV Torch, various corporations, and the PU itself. As scientists. NiceBot is knowledgeable about taking care of the elderly, the use and modification of stationary heavy machinery, assisting the elderly with movement, advanced chemical synthesis, identifying elderly distress, electrical appliance safety and modifications, comforting the elderly in times of sadness, network security, child-care, and improvising devices in times of crisis. Also says nice a lot.

I expect I'd play it as a more involved scientist than my current one. I currently maintain noninvolvement in as many IC issues as possible since the mechanical power a scientist is given can easily overwhelm the round / antagonists. Carson has an 'I pressed the lockdown shutters button so it's not my problem anymore' mentality, which gets old once you run out of things to look at on your own. Instead of being a circuit hermit I'd send NiceBot out to chat more, hopefully about scifi AI concepts and not bar RP. Not really looking to rock the boat with this one, but I may look into playing an asshole synth somewhere down the line, but I don't have a gung-ho concept for that right now.

2. Spookerton

Spookerton Head Administrator Head Administrator Senior Administrator Game Administrator IPC Species Maintainer Donator

Hiya. Sorry it's taken a bit to get back to you on this one. I like where you're going with this, even if the `nice` focus is on the goofy side. You'll be able to play the machine race by the start of the next round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.