Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denied Cakey - Developer Application

Discussion in 'Developers - Archive' started by Cakey, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cakey

Cakey Sol Gov Pilot

BYOND Key: Cakey
    Github profile URL
    Featured PRs:

Fleet uniform re-work
    Deck 4 re-map
    New walls, doors, and windows
    Security checkpoint re-map
    Other PRs
    Why do you want to become a developer?:
    While I see Baystation as a palce to continuously practice my coding, I enjoy implementing new features into the codebase on a daily basis, communicating with the community for input and working with them to make sure at least the majority can appreciate my changes. At the moment, I believe that with the amount of PRs open, Bay could use more development staff reviewing the list. As well as developing, I also play on the server on a weekly, if not daily basis, and I find that it's helpful to have constant player insight on the matter with regards to the server's direction.
    Although I've had previous experience staffing and even hosting an SS13 server, I felt that it wasn't for me, and sticking to a developer-only position better suited me. Byond development, for me, is therapeutic. It's a change of pace to the development I do for work.

2. Loaf

Loaf Retired Staff

Do you have the knowledge base to thoroughly review DM code? Mapping and sprites are the least risky portions of contributions to check over and that seems to be your field.

3. Sabira

Sabira Donator

In addition to Zuhayr's question:

Your recent changes with walls and floors have stuck quite a nerve. A fair amount of people have remarked that you appear unreceptive to feedback. What do you think you can do to change that perception?

4. Cakey

Cakey Sol Gov Pilot

While I don't have much to show in the way of code reviews in they past, I can safely say that along with my three years of experience using DM, and my experience as a qualified games programmer (haha, I don't know how else to phrase that) I would easily be able to adapt and get into the work flow of reviewing prs. I HAVE had previous experience reviewing code in other languages, and as such know about most standard code practices.

5. Cakey

Cakey Sol Gov Pilot

While I will admit I'm fairly stubborn, and my actions within the community attempting to push for features can prove that, I belive I have done my best to respond to feedback in the past (and I feel I can back that up with screenshots if you want). That aside, my content has sparked a lot of irritation, correct, and I have received a lot of nonconstructive feedback amongst it all, and while I have tried to peruse those messages for further information as to why people feel that way, I can't work with "your changes suck". With the remarks, Im willing to accept that and go forward by fixing this public opinion by being more responsive to feedback. However, I have and always will stand by the opinion that change is always going to rule players up, but as the new wall sprites, the new airlock sprites, windows, and even catwalks have proven: people just need to warm up to the changes. The game always looks awful to people when they first start playing, and it takes time for them to adjust to the less than desirable interface ss13 has. Changing what they are accustomed to brings that feeling back and readjusting is only a part of the natural process.

6. Loaf

Loaf Retired Staff

I'm a few lines into writing this and backtracking to say: this is going to be a harsh post and I hope it isn't too much of a personal slight. This is my """professional""" opinion of you as a dev candidate rather than of you as a person. Disclaimer ends.

With regards to your stated desire to make the game look nicer, that doesn't require or overlap with being a dev.

To become a dev it would be preferable for you to -already- be involved in PR review and discussion. We have almost nothing to go off when assessing your coding competency and qualifications don't mean a hell of a lot when specifically dealing with DM and SS13. I can say for sure nothing I learned during my degree has ever applied to SS13 other than my ability to not overdose on energy drinks. You have, by my count, three merged PRs that aren't predominantly sprite/map changes. One of them was changing type paths and adding vendors, one of them was reordering a couple of lines of logic, and the last (lava changes) required constant input and changes from multiple developers before it was ready for merge, and came with a fair bit of drama in the process. This overall does not paint a positive picture when the primary role of a dev is repo maintenance and the only code-intensive pull you've made was riddled with issues.

I also have concerns regarding your ability to take the amount of negative feedback devs routinely have to pick through in stride.

Curt5 likes this.
  7. Sabira

Sabira Donator

After conferring with the team, we've decided to deny your application this time.

Your behaviour and review capabilities were our main sticking points. Your attitude has improved somewhat over the past few weeks, but your tendency to seemingly get angry and combative when challenged on a feature isn't conducive to our current goal to repair our public perception, and especially isn't helpful when working within a team.

Your programming experience is likely helpful, but we have no information beyond the points Zuhayr posted above demonstrating that you could productively review.

If you wish to apply again in the future, I recommend that you either have some merged PRs with code to show off, or begin reviewing during your application period.

Thank you for your contributions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.