Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denied Chaoko99 - Developer

Discussion in 'Developers - Archive' started by Chaoko99, Nov 21, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaoko99

Chaoko99 Research Director

BYOND Key:
    Github profile URL: https://github.com/chaoko99
    Featured PRs:

Why do you want to become a developer?:
    I realize rather quickly that I may be coming a bit out of left field here; my philosophy on how Bay's development is going is rather... Different than most. My habits include ports and bugfixes. Original feature PR's are a bit of a rarity from me, but I supplement myself with actually fixing bugs when I see them.

One thing I may note is that the head dev suggested me to a bit of time back. I have screenshots, no less.
    Endorsement: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

As you can see here; I have been endorsed by Xales to do this (Albiet like five months ago.) I would've done it sooner, but those previously mentioned double-bladed E-Swords broke me for a bit and had me recluse from the game. I didn't think it was a good thing for me to code something that I found frustrating. So I took a break.

For the exact reason as to why I am doing this? I see the repo being neglected. I see code not being documented. I see many little niggles about the game that absolutely tick me off. Unlike some: I fix them. I do not see things that are broken, I see things that I could do better.

I... Would put more here, but I'm out of ideas, and I've pretty much listed all my reasons.
    ---
    Oh god this is not a good idea.

2. Chaoko99

3. F-Tang Steve

F-Tang Steve Serpentid Species Maintainer

One of the reasons you were endorsed was your activity level. There has been a several month gap between then and now with a few PRs starting up again. Breaks are fine, but I feel that it may be best to wait a couple of weeks at least so you can show that you're becoming fully active once more.

xales likes this.
  4. Chaoko99

That's fair. I'm getting back on my ball.

Probably going to fall back off again at some point, but... Hey; it happens.

Could always just drop another fix bomb to make a point.

5. Spookerton

Spookerton Public Kōhai №1 Director of Administration Head Administrator Game Administrator IPC Species Maintainer Donator

From my non-authoritative point of view, you do tick most of the developer application boxes.

Of 65 PRs, 9 post hiatus, 28 (43%) closed, 35 merged, 2 open.

You've got the knowledge block down well enough, although I think you might lack some familiarity with the codebase and the eccentricities of DM. A decent portion of a random sampling of your PRs have, at a glance, been either one-liner or value-swap fixes, or have taken quite a few reviews to deal with snafus relating to project and dm familiarity, oddly moved files and personal taste refactors, etc - Not sure how statistically accurate that is overall, of course.

I like having small fixes entering the codebase because you're absolutely right that cruft and non-blockers have been stacking up recently. I think it's a good goal to go after those, and that's the bulk of your PRs. So that's good.

I don't think you have a recent accepted feature PR.

As @F-Tang Steve has mentioned a little more nicely, I'm not sure only counting the peaks of irregular bursts of activity are a good measure of lasting interest.

I'm not a fan of how you've used PRs in the past to present polarized personalized changes without context to a smaller, more code cleanliness oriented panel for approval - and if memory serves, often after OOC discussions with you in the minority position. I'm concerned that you'll do this more, and with more innate weight, if you're given a green tag. Especially with the recent discussion over content PR polls and approvals in mind.

6. Chaoko99

For the sake of argument, what would you define as a "feature" PR? I've got stuff in the planning phase (A new subtype of guns!, giving Lings the toools they need to do their dang JERBS, etc etc), but my only notable feature (By my standards) Is a refactor, which adds a ton of features atop that. (Okay, like three, but still.) I like creating vastly modular features if I can, meaning I added a cluster-anything feature.

7. Spookerton

Spookerton Public Kōhai №1 Director of Administration Head Administrator Game Administrator IPC Species Maintainer Donator

Honestly if you're being entirely technical you could call something really tiny a feature PR, however going by the wording of "Makes efforts to maintain and fix features implemented by the applicant." the implication is more that a "feature" PR is a larger (and hopefully novel) addition to the codebase that requires maintaining - like a game mode (eg deity), rich mechanics subsystem (eg current cooking and food containers, or xenoflora), or one or a set of new assets of a reasonable (I don't have a definition for reasonable) size, eg the implementation and first set of /rig/*.

Regardless of those larger examples - I think your cluster grenade refactor probably does count as a feature PR - there is novel code in there for how the sprite is created and how the cluster grenade object works. What it isn't is accepted yet. :B

8. Chaoko99

9. xales

xales Host Game Administrator Developer Community Moderator

Sorry for the delay here, applications are on hold temporarily while we're figuring out some stuff. Expect to hear more very soon!

10. Chaoko99

That's cool.

11. Chaoko99

If dev has been removed, I think I best just close this?

12. masterrbc

masterrbc That Aussie Donator

Will talk to the boss and see what's causing the gears to grind!

13. Chaoko99

So this has been formally retracted post a three month communication drought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.