Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryoing, then rejoining the round with the SAME character who cryoed

Discussion in 'Policy Discussion' started by F-Tang Steve, Apr 3, 2018.

1. F-Tang Steve

F-Tang Steve Game Administrator Developer Serpentid Species Maintainer Deputy IPC Maintainer Deputy Diona Maintainer Wiki Maintainer

This came up in game but isn't on the rules anymore.

How I understand it, cryoing with Anna Jones the MP and then later in the same round, rejoining with Anna Jones the MP is ok.

But, cryoing with Anna Jones the MP and later in the same round, rejoining with Anna Jones the Physician isn't ok.

Finally, playing Anna Jones the MP in a round and then the next day, in a different round, playing Anna Jones the Physician is ok as an alternate reality version (as in, she never was an MP and was always a Physician).

Is this the general understanding? What do you think?

Gabol, samsone700 and TheGreyWolf like this.
  2. Sbotkin

Sbotkin Senior Enlisted Advisor

Why was it removed from the rules in the first place?

3. F-Tang Steve

F-Tang Steve Game Administrator Developer Serpentid Species Maintainer Deputy IPC Maintainer Deputy Diona Maintainer Wiki Maintainer

I think it was overlooked in the recent reworking stuff.

4. Meyar

Meyar Retired Worstmin 2015-2017

It's how we've enforced it up until now. Just amend the rules.

5. Sbotkin

Sbotkin Senior Enlisted Advisor

Well, basically what Meyar said. Just re-add it.

6. Jovaniph

Jovaniph Petty Officer First Class

That's how I understand it, I don't see a problem with it. +1

7. Pygmal

Pygmal Banned User

I'd prefer, one character, one department, to keep a little bit of continuity between rounds, cause people likes XXXX who goes RD, CE, BO, Physician, with the same char, totally ruins the immersion.

It's easy to create another character.

I know, nothing is canon, but still. Some are trying to play it right.

Gabol and JohnnyMnemonic like this.
  8. Meyar

Out of scope of this thread?

9. Earthcrusher

Earthcrusher SMASHER/DEVOURER Game Administrator

Yeah, not sure why we need a discussion on this. The rule was omitted by mistake, restore it!

10. Pygmal

Pygmal Banned User

I was referring to :

So actually in scope :p

11. F-Tang Steve

Yes, it's in scope and here for discussion.

12. Meyar

Missed that part apparently.

13. Chinsky

Chinsky Indentured Coder Developer

Yes it's a thing already, it might be not in the rules because it's a minute thing and rules are supposed to be more general big things I guess.

xales likes this.
  14. Ozwell

Ozwell Retired Staff

I always thought if you joined as Anna Jones the MP, and then cryo'd, you couldn't rejoin as Anna Jones the MP either. Once you make the choice to spawn as a character, you've made that choice and when you go into cryo you're done with that character. Am I incorrect?

15. Meyar

By SOP yes, but this kind of confusion can be avoided by writing it down.

16. Dukica

Dukica Sol Gov Pilot

The continuity shouldn't be enforced over rounds, that's a bad idea. These other rules are quite logical.

Skip and Meyar like this.
  17. Pygmal

Pygmal Banned User

I'm curious, why that would be bad ? We're only talking about same characters in different departments here, not about antag related stuff.

Blazerules likes this.
  18. Meyar

Because it's a space man video game and we dont enforse canon between rounds. Sometimes I feel like playing a medic instead of a forensic tech or a scientist with my character whose personality is equally comfortable in the different jobs.

It's also a waste of administration effort to enforce round-to-round. They're busy enough with the individual round. It's why complaints tend to take a few days to be investigated fully.

19. Dukica

Dukica Sol Gov Pilot

It restricts freedom for a quite unnecessary reason. I am quite aware of self-insert memesters playing 9 departments with one character, but whatever. I do not like things being restricted without a good cause.

20. LorenLuke

LorenLuke Commanding Officer

My understanding is that canon is not enforced from round to round. However, when you're in the same round, well... by definition it's not round-to-round. So while that said such canon isn't necessarily unenforced, it should be.

Consider what happens if we lax this, where Anna Jones the MP goes to cryo and comes back as a physician (or CMO)... And bitches out the dude who was getting on her nerves because she's suddenly am officer now (can't say the earlier half of the round is not canon). Or, where people go from off duty to something enlisted to form a slow motion Blueswarm.
    If we allow this behavior, we open the food gates, because saying 'you can, except for these five exceptions' is more rules in a time where admins seem unwilling to leave the gray parts up to the player; it's easier and clearer to just say 'No'.