Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deltarune

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Manored, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Manored

Manored Executive Officer

I played through this a few days ago and I'm still thinking about it. Its gooooooood.

For the uninitiated its a new game by Toby Fox (creator of Undertale) that is closely tied to Undertale in a non-specified manner. In fact, "Deltarune" is an anagram of "Undertale". The first chapter was released by surprise, for free, on Halloween. The rest of the game will be paid-for, will release all at once, and could take up to 7 years to come out depending of Toby Fox's exact laziness quotient.

While its a great little RPG overall for its stellar writing and simple but solid mechanics, what's really fascinated me about it is the multi-layered plot that leaves you with at least five theories of WTF was going on. Its one of those games where just trying to unravel the mystery and reading up theories and so is really fun.

Anyways, discuss the game on this thread, or alternatively nobody reply and make me feel silly and alone.

2. CrimsonShrike

CrimsonShrike Sol Gov Pilot

Discussing demos on a friday night? Gods thou are pathetic.

Anyhow, I'm just here to say I'm excited to see more of it, although the delivery date means we're going to get a long period of people theorycrafting and making mindmaps before we actually see the final game.

Manored likes this.
  3. Phosphorus

Phosphorus SeniorAwoomin Senior Administrator

The theorycrafting bait may have been intentional, but it's a risky move that probably won't pan out. No matter how thought provoking your <x> is, there's no way it's going to carry enough conversation for a year to keep up an acceptable level of 'hype'.

In addition, I would kind of... disagree on the 'stellar writing' bit. The characters felt like archetypes that never truly grew out of it, or they followed this predictable, cheesy cartoon-esque arc. I have a feeling that this may have been intentional.

Also, the ending WTF felt like pure halloween bait. But that might just be me.

4. Manored

We're nerds!

I don't think creating hype was Toby's intention, considering he literally released this demo as a surprise after years of no activity, and considering by his own admission he doesn't know when the full game will be done. He seems to believe it will take years. I think he's just testing the waters, and by his own admission testing whenever the game he has in mind is something he can actually pull off.

Well, its true that the character arcs were predictable, I say the writing is stellar because... its consistently funny, and peppered with discrete hints about the story as a whole. I'm a big fan of silly humor, so I'm a somewhat suspicious judge of the quality of comedy.

What's "Halloween bait?"

5. Phosphorus

Phosphorus SeniorAwoomin Senior Administrator

For the humor, I think it fell flat a lot more than Undertale did. The gags never felt like they actually teased out a laugh from me, to the point where I've called Lancer 'Worse Sans' for a time. And, in the same kind of vein, I'm not the only person who literally couldn't remember ralsei's name and just took to calling them 'minty asriel'.

As for Halloween bait, I sort of meant spooky for the sake of spook. It has story implications, and you can draw some comparisons to Undertale, and it raised some questions, but I feel as if I eyerolled more than went 'WTF'. But that might have been the rest of the story feeding into it.

Manored likes this.
  6. Manored

Well, its definitely spooky for the sake of being spooky, but was also cool because it took me completely by surprise. Maybe I'm just genre-unsavvy =)

Ralsei being Asrielish is probably quite on purpose given his appearance and the anagram. He did succeed in feeling like an unique character to me, albeit perhaps only because we never get to travel with Asriel on the original.

I will admit that Lancer feels like a bargain bin Papyrus... but Papyrus was great so more of him in any form is a good thing.