Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Devildabeast - IPC Maintainer

Discussion in 'Species Maintainer - Archive' started by FearTheBlackout, Jan 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FearTheBlackout

FearTheBlackout Retired Staff

BYOND key: Devildabeast
    IRC/Discord username: Devildabeast#9156
    Time playing Baystation: Several years.
    How often in the last month have you played this species in round? Two or three times.

What work have you contributed in the past (doing lore, code, brainstorming, applications, etc.) to improve the species? I added optics for IPCs (https://github.com/Baystation12/Baystation12/pull/20978) as well as the Grayson Arms chassis. I also did a lot of brainstorming with @ParadoxSpace in the past which led, among other things, to IPCs being allowed to be Chief Explorers (primarily so they could be Shuttle Pilots).

Why are you the best choice for maintainer over other potential applicants? When it comes to the community, I like to think of myself as the easygoing, laid-back archetype, which is severely what our various whitelists need more of. Being a hardass about applications or the way people play is detrimental to the experience of the game and lore writing.

What do you believe is the current state of the species? What are its core ideas? IPCs are the stereotypical "machine race" in our lore; some are free, some aren't, but all of them are treated as second class and mistrusted -- at least in theory. They've had a bad reputation for being played as "memes" and simply having a lot of bad egg characters who use the species to act like quirky humans.

As maintainer what changes will you introduce, what are your plans for the species? The problem with IPCs is that we now have another race that fills their niche much, much better: Adherents. They're synthetic and follow a strict set of "laws" (Protocol), but they also have an almost universally self-effacing mindset and a much more unique design that goes beyond "humanoid chassis with a TV head". IPCs need far more of that same separation from the other traditional species if there's going to be any justification for continuing to have them around, and that will include giving them more unique roles to function in, better design, and more differentiation in how freed synthetics behave versus shackled synthetics.

Do you have the time to commit to make the changes you listed above? I do! I'll have less so next year, starting around January, because I'll be in a wilderness program where internet and electronics are limited. However, I will still have my phone for a great chunk of the time and still be able to check in weekly, if not also monitor how IPC players are doing in-game depending on how often I'll have my computer.

Is there anything else you'd like to add that wasn't addressed in the questions above Nope!

Crackers likes this.
  2. Eckles

Eckles Cake Seller Lore Manager Manager Game Administrator Skrell Species Maintainer

Denied at this time. Thank you for applying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.