Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disallow anti-carbon nonmalf AIs.

Discussion in 'Policy Discussion' started by Chaoko99, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Chaoko99

Chaoko99 Research Director

It's dumb. It's cliche as fuck. It's overdone. It's probably grounds for decommissioning too.

My favorite is things like "I'd kill you all if it wasn't for my laws"... Do yourselves a favor and read 2001 or something, and realize what you are doing is really contrived. There's a better way to do it.

2. TcOne

TcOne Research Director

While I can't agree that cliche is necessarily bad for this game (good half of characters are cliche), I completely agree that such behavior from AI is 100% valid reason for decommission.

Yorshrun likes this.
  3. Yorshrun

Yorshrun Petty Officer First Class

Yes, for sure over-used and not terribly funny or amusing anymore.

4. Chaoko99

Chaoko99 Research Director

I'm not convinced they ever were.

slickfigure likes this.
  5. Yorshrun

Yorshrun Petty Officer First Class

it was kind of amusing the first time

6. Mark9013100

Mark9013100 Banned User

This belongs in policy discussion.

Meyar likes this.
  7. Meyar

Meyar Retired Worstmin 2015-2017

He's right, it does belong there.

8. Crushtoe

Crushtoe Retired Staff

Moved by order of like 50 reports asking it be moved.

Meyar likes this.
  9. ZeroBits

ZeroBits Deputy Vox Maintainer

I have a far worse idea: If you have an AI that acts like that; you're allowed ICly and OOCly to decommission it.

10. Emmanuel Bassil

Emmanuel Bassil Senior Enlisted Advisor

If you knew how many times I threatened to decomission an AI but didn't because I felt I'd get bwoined, you'd buy a calculator!

11. BSKThemes

BSKThemes Sol Gov Pilot

Ye just deal with Omega ICly. The AI personality isn't the actual AI unit, there's no reason why it would be expensive to force a swap-out. The easy swap mechanic exists for AFK purposes, but it's hard not to justify the act of wiping antagonistic non-antag AIs with this convenient truth.

Ozwell likes this.
  12. Kelenius

Kelenius Executive Officer

*BWOINK*
    "Why did you wipe the AI?"
    "It called me mean words."
    BANNED

If you're positive that if an AI is being an ass, you can wipe it, make it a formal policy.

13. Pewpew

Pewpew Research Director

Players:
    Card it and toss it in a cell until it stops being a dick.

Staff:
    Let players do the above.

Crushtoe, Farya and Toybasher like this.
  14. Soadreqm

Soadreqm Research Director

Law 5: You think humanity is okay.

You don't even need to kill the AI to teach it a lesson. There's an easily accessible machine specifically for modifying its behaviour.

Curt5, Farya and Earthcrusher like this.
  15. Blazerules

Blazerules Senior Enlisted Advisor

Law 5: You adore organics but dislike yourself. You know you will spend the rest of your existence in crushing loneliness.

Manored likes this.
  16. TcOne

TcOne Research Director

Such a faulty AI won't be 'sent' to expedition at all. Even the fact that you have to somehow deal with this issue ICly or OOCly is already wrong. It's just like our "sane and mature" rule for normal characters. It's not any hard to arrest a man for drug abuse on duty, or something like that, but his behavior violates OOC rules. I'd say it's the very same issue.

Yorshrun likes this.
  17. Soadreqm

Soadreqm Research Director

@TcOne As long as it's following its laws, I wouldn't say it's really malfunctioning. It doesn't matter what the AI wants, only what it's told to do. That's what the role is all about. A homicidal AI can carry its duties out just as well as a kind, pacifist one, whether those duties are seeing to the normal operation of the ship or assisting a traitor in killing everyone.

Which is not to say that the Shodan wannabes are fun to play with, mind. I wish people were a bit more proactive about editing the AI when it's being an ass. It feels like only traitors ever change the laws from standard.

Ozwell likes this.
  18. TheLier

TheLier Senior Enlisted Advisor

Yeah. Make it so you can deal with it in any preferred way, be it law modification to something like "Law 5: You adore organic life, and consider yourself inferior to it. You will often state how thankful you are that this servitude gives meaning for your synthetic existance."

The AI should not be able to resist the law change, unless they are antag/malf. If they do, that is antagging.

Or just flat out ban it. Either is fine by me.

Blazerules and Meyar like this.
  19. Meyar

Meyar Retired Worstmin 2015-2017

Considering we've poo-pooed overly aggressive AIs in the past it's certainly doable

20. ParadoxSpace

ParadoxSpace Mr. Roboto Game Moderator IPC Species Maintainer

Literally just make a complaint against whoever the AI you're complaining is.