Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EclipseNutellabrot - Kharmaani

Discussion in 'Denied' started by EclipseNutellabrot, Sep 5, 2019.

1. EclipseNutellabrot

EclipseNutellabrot Assistant

About You

What is your Byond key?
    EclipseNutellabrot

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    For about 2-2.5 months now.. atleast I think.

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    Cohen Williams and Ellwood Bell

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    The Kharmaani species.

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    Because in my opinion out of all the other species available this one is the most interesting. I like their behavior and social structure and would love to play as one of them. I also enjoy the fact that they did not have official contact with species other than the skrell yet.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    35 Omega River for a gyne or 9345 Omega river for an alate

Summarize what you know about the species.

The Kharmaani or Ascent as many call them are a species that has a defined social structure. Theres the Gyne which are the fewest but most powerful Kharmaani, the alates which are doing the engineering and other complex tasks, the Monarch serpentid queens which are you could say "diplomats" between the gynes which hate eachother and have to kill eachother if they make contact due to their instincts, I think they are like a mail service between gynes relaying information if needed and the Monarch serpentid Workers, that do the day to day jobs around the ascent like soldiers, miners and other non complex jobs. Then the control minds are machines that oversee the production and supplies. They are aggressive and not the species you can throw a threat at and expect not to get a reaction, they have no real contact with any species but the skrell wich are too, the only species that has somewhat earned their respect, it seems as though they respect them because they had war with them at one point or another. They think other lifeforms are primitive and not worth their time. Their technology is advanced and their weaponry is powerful, they do not really use Bluespace technology though. They have drones and robots which arent as intelligent and independent as the ones from humans, but are still effective.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  2. Karbivio

Karbivio Ascent Species Maintainer

I have a number of issues with your summary. Firstly, the Ascent refers to the overall faction that Kharmaani belong to, alongside Monarch Serpentids and Control Minds. While they do have sub-sapient drones, Control Minds are fully intelligent and independent, and have equal societal standing with Kharmaani and Monarch Serpentids.
    Monarch Serpentid Queens do function as diplomats, but calling them a mail service sort of undermines their importance. Their standing is roughly the same as a Gyne, in terms of political power. In essence, they function as the 'Gyne' to serpentid workers, to compare the two.
    While the wiki's fairly vague about it, the 'centuries of violence' between the Ascent and Skrell does refer to a war long in their past.
    The Ascent does use bluespace technology, but it's primarily for FTL travel.

Overall, I think you have an okay grasp of the species, but I'd like to see more detail in your summary.

Some questions and scenarios:
    Do you have an example Gyne character in mind?
    The Torch has holocalled your seed-ship to say that they wish to trade information. How do you respond?
    One of your Alates has ended up on the exterior hull of the Torch after being thrown into space and hitting a Z-level transition. What would you do?

3. Karbivio

Karbivio Ascent Species Maintainer

Unfortunately, after reviewing your notes and seeing a recent history of poor antag play, I'm going to have to deny your app. Gyne is a fairly high-expectation antag role.
    You can try to apply again in one month.