Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Errant Story - Dionaea

Discussion in 'Denied' started by Errant, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant

Errant Assistant

About You
    Hello! I am Errant, or Errant Story, and I'm a long time roleplayer across various games and versions of Space Station 13. A lover of all kinds of stories and story telling.

What is your Byond key?
    Errant Story

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    A few months on and off, really fell in love with the more in-depth story telling that goes on with the folks on the Torch. Good bit more so than I've come to expect with most other stations available.

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    While I've played my part as several randomly named space survivors on various shuttle pods and half exploded cargo ships, my most well known Torch character would be a human named Sain Torin. He's jumped around from job to job, but has found a decent job in both Chemistry / light medteam work and also spent shifts finding out just how hard it can actually be to peddle free ice cream to the masses as a chef. Who'd have guessed, right?

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    Dionaea of course!

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    As with all alien species on the Torch, I think their diversity is what brings even greater story telling into the forefront. In the midst of crisis, it's the racial diversity that can really break up an event into even more interesting series of mini-events. My personal enjoyment of Dionaea has come from experience in roleplaying as them on other code bases. In their own slow and steady kind of way, Dionaea present an interesting thought process on outbreak of emotional events I've always found interesting to throw into a mix.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    The Crystalline Structure of a Pure Snowfall on the Surface of a Silent Planet
    A Darkness that Consumes the Land Left in the Fading Sunlight of a Dying Star

Summarize what you know about the species.
    Dionaea are a slow, but intensely curious race of beings found by the Skrell originally floating in a mass around a cluster of stars. They live in a series of forms throughout their span of existence that begins generally as a small, insect-type Nymph. A small being no larger than a human cat or small dog. They 'grow up' in a way, by joining with other nymphs into what eventually becomes known as a gestalt. Gestalts themselves have no real upper limit, being anywhere from the size of humanoids to possibly functional space craft with a little outside help.

They have a unique outlook on life where, while lacking emotion, they fail to see the need for violent acts only pushed to do so in a moment of need by their companions. Emotion itself seems to be replaced with a drive for curiosity. Mimicry of emotions forms over time to match the humanoids they've lived along side, and they're not afraid to use what they've learned to persuade others in their desire to learn new things.

Dionaea have two general means of communication, one that facilitates speaking to most other races outside of their own. And a unique form of 'Rootspeak' which uses varying frequency of electromagnetic radio waves to communicate over both short, and assumed massively long distances, with other Dionaea.

Being outsiders to most common forms of humanoid interaction and only learning through personal experiences as a gestalt, a newly formed gestalt generally fails to adhere to social norms. They may animate strangely, their walking unnatural, or bending the wrong way. If they properly animate at all and don't just slide across the floor. There's little they can't learn to adapt to in time, be it properly looking at whom they're speaking to, respecting abstract ideas like 'personal space' or 'privacy', but there will indeed always be a stretch of awkward strangeness between other races and newly formed gestalt themselves.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  2. Noble Caos

Noble Caos The Lorax Diona Species Maintainer

3. Errant

Errant Assistant

Added some more, but I'm trying to avoid the whole "just plagiarizing from the wiki" thing. If there's something more specific you'd like to see added then by all means let me know. I'd be happy to continue.

4. Noble Caos

Make a character concept and put them in a scenario you would see as challenging.

5. Errant

Errant Assistant

I'm still interested in this but have been busy, I'll make a post about a character concept hopefully a bit later today. Posting this to avoid being locked.

Noble Caos likes this.
  6. Noble Caos

Right uhh... I had some activity numbers pulled. You've played two days, and have frankly not done anything. In those two days, you had a total of 90 hits, that is next to nothing.

Going to deny this due to inactivity from the server and what's technically a lie in the "how long have you been playing Baystation12" section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.