Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exterior Service Catwalks

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Lonefly, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Lonefly

Lonefly Donator

Hiya!

I'm considering adding exterior service catwalks to the Torch. These would be spread around the hull, along with ladders and railings, with the intent to be how engineers would be ~meant~ to go outside to repair exterior damage. In practice, they would open up additional avenues for having EVA play a role in the game, as well as an additional method of climbing up and down the ship. Obviously this would necessitate new airlocks and such around the ship.

I think this would be good in helping to once again bring EVA into the spessmen equation, helping to expand the playable area outside of just being inside the ship.

I'm open to suggestions on, like, additional things to put outside, too! It would be neat for these to exist and have some actual use as well, as I am a firm believer in having EVA and normal ship operations intertwine and mingle, but I'm not sure on the best way to fit that in.

Please comment with suggestions, ideas, or criticisms of this proposal. I think that it would serve to enhance the server, but I would like to garner feedback! I'm not at home right now or I'd make a simple mock-up.

Thanks for reading and (hopefully!) responding! =D

2. flying_loulou

flying_loulou Sol Gov Pilot

That'd be nice, as long as it doesn't turn into the Torch being uselessly covered in catwalks.

Lonefly likes this.
  3. Lonefly

Lonefly Donator

I'd try to keep them somewhat sparse, it wouldn't be Catwalks R Us :p

flying_loulou likes this.
  4. Boznar

Boznar Bartender

I am in favor of more exterior utility for the Torch. A suggestion: Those bubble spaces (Xenobio, Virology, BSA, Old brig) have some pretty big space gaps between them and the main hull....
    upload_2019-4-25_18-1-43.png
    Make a good place for maintenance catwalks.

As an added suggestion. I believe shields pass over catwalks, so removing the lips of windows...
    upload_2019-4-25_18-0-52.png
    and replacing them with catwalks would allow for better exterior practicality (there is literally open space underneath this lip for example). It also keeps the shields from trapping carp right next to the window and allows engineers to use atmospheric shielding on window breaches.

Somenerd, flying_loulou and Lonefly like this.
  5. Virgil

Virgil Head Administrator Game Administrator Community Moderator

In my opinion, catwalks on the outside of the ship shouldn't be frequent, or much of a thing at all.

Engineers have magboots for a reason, and other than making the ship look really tacky, it doesn't make sense for something that needs to be able to move having these flimsy metal things on it's outside begging to be torn off from the hull, or straight up melted to it in the event of entering a planets atmosphere.

6. Lonefly

Lonefly Donator

In response to your last point:

The Torch is not built for atmospheric entry. If it enters an atmosphere, the whole thing is melting apart anyways. It isn't aerodynamic at all, nor is it built for heat dispation. There's also no atmosphere in space for the movement of the object to really drag on the catwalks? Sure, they may be worn down over time by micrometeorites, but that would be a very easy fix, especially when ~shields~ are a thing.

Neon1ight likes this.
  7. Albens

Albens Petty Officer First Class

While I personally approve of a normalization of the Exterior of the Torch, to make it easier to navigate, and ergo of Catwalks, I need to preemptively say the obvious.
    Torch is a formerly Military Vessel, and the previous Arrow wouldn't have had catwalks.

Which means these catwalks would have been installed during the Refit into the Torch. Do you feel you could accurately represent that, or do you have something else you think could?

Lonefly likes this.
  8. AnotherLurk

AnotherLurk Bartender

I feel like in some areas, such as the Bridge Deck leading up to the AI core, catwalks would be acceptable or outside main EVA, but in a lot of areas I don't see it working. Ladders are a good idea though.

Ithalan and Lonefly like this.