Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funguss - Dionaea

Discussion in 'Alien Species' started by funguss, Feb 13, 2020.

1. funguss

funguss Deputy Vox Maintainer

What is your Byond key?
    Funguss

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    roughly 3-4 months

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    My main five are:
    Kikahhiki - Shoal Technician
    Stan Beaker - DAIS Employee (Bounces between researcher and engineer, depending on the round)
    B-7 - Engineering robot
    Oversight - AI
    Deckard Clements - Private Investigator

What alien species are you applying for?
    Dionaea

About The Species
    Dionaea are a species of small, hiveminded plant-like creatures. An individual Diona is called a nymph, and depending on where it is born it will spend its early moments observing the environment before forming a gestalt and clinging to other nymphs to form a combined organism called a gestalt, providing whatever it learned to a newly formed hivemind. Gestalts range in size and shape from small clump to functioning humanoid, even becoming the size of a ship or station.
    Their natural habitat is in the formation of a large gestalt orbiting a star, where they absorb and store large amounts of rare materials and gases. This has led to other races taking in interest in them for a symbiotic relationship, where Diona are spread across the galaxy to create many different gestalts, and in turn learn new things and harness resources for their allies. Despite their possibly unnerving appearance, no Diona has ever been recorded to actively pursue violence of its own accord.

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    I like playing non-humans, to the point where I either wait all day for the vox ship to spawn or just play a synthetic and maintain the engines. A diona whitelist would give me more choices whenever I do decide I want to fill a slot on the torch.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    Dionaea names are just sensory imagery that appeals to them, a roboticist diona would maybe be named something like: "Sparks Dancing Across The Mainframe"

Summarize what you know about the species.
    Diona either spawn at roundstart if whitelisted, or are grown midround as nymphs and taken control of by ghosts, where they can form nascent gestalts, but can only become the humanoid form if they have a whitelist. Diona don't need to eat or breathe, and get nutrients from light. They can survive in space without a hardsuit, radiation does not harm them, and may actually heal them from what I've seen. Their limbs can regrow and when they take extreme damage a nymph or two might fall off of them, but they also regenerate. They are not allowed to attack anyone, not only due to lore constraints but also the fact that they are ridiculously hard to kill off.

Character Concept
    Old Things Made New is an engineer diona. Its first batch of nymphs started as a group of spores that made their way onto a martian shipyard, displaced by some passing freighter. There they matured and watched the salvage technicians and engineers in action, learning everything they could before gathering together to form a small gestalt, and trying their grasper at tinkering. After some time they were noticed by a representative of Nanotrasen, and offered a position and some formal training aboard one of their research vessels, where it substitute for a human technician in matters involving nuclear fusion reactors and supermatter upkeep, creating less risk, and requiring much less pay .

2. purplemontart

purplemontart #1 Tree Dad Game Administrator Diona Species Maintainer

While you can of course name a doona something related to their profession it is generally just a memory that is important to the gestalt as a whole.
    Can I get a character concept?