Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gal Paladin - Kharmaani

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Gal Paladin, May 16, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gal Paladin

Gal Paladin Assistant

This is my first application so please hit me up with any tips or things I need to add/change!
    About You

What is your Byond key?
    Gal Paladin

What is your Discord username?
    Gal Paladin#7714

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    on and off over the last 2-3 years, more over the last 6 months or so

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    C.A.R.E. the AI, ALBATROSS II and ALBATROSS III the engineering (and sometimes other roles) robots, and though I haven't played her much recently, Cadence Wu the scientist

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    Kharmaani Gyne

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    Multiple reasons. I like the in-game role of set-dressing, doing your own thing, maybe the Torch decides to interact with you roles in which case you supply good RP for the round. I also like the concept of extremely advanced and kinda dickish aliens that consider themselves better than everyone else, as it can be quite fun to RP. Lastly I've seen a lot of rounds where Ascent ships have just been left wasted because nobody with gyne permission was on to pick them up, and I want to give people the opportunity to mess around as Alates and control minds and also give the Torch more potential options for interesting round events should they choose to engage with the Ascent in a round.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    For Gynes specifically:
    2 Resplendent Cavern
    34 Field Between Three Mountains
    26 Anodyne Mineral Springs

Summarize what you know about the species.
    I know that the Kharmaani are a proud and advanced species of mantis-like cephalopods with unusual, crystalline biology, and a caste system along biological lines. While in the past they were warlike, they're much more passive in the current game time period. Gynes are arrogant and proud, and consider virtually everyone but other Ascent species and the Skrell to be useless primitives so incredibly beneath their notice that they generally won't even bother responding to their presence unless it's to punish an actual attack on them if there isn't a subordinate to do it in their place. The other Ascent include the alates, young Kharmaani not yet matured into gynes, the Control Minds, large non-bluespace but equally powerful AIs with a bit of a mean streak, and the Monarch Serpentids (not implemented in-game yet) who are an uplifted branch of the GAS species that diverged a long time ago and are used as diplomats and attendant roles to the gynes. I'm familiar with the rule that gynes absolutely must attack another gyne and fight to the death in a personal contact setting, and should be miserable to deal with and antagonistic in dealing with each other at a distance. For combat, Ascent prefer ranged fighting as melee is considered a sort of showy and personal ordeal involving social and dominance aspects, but it can definitely be used to beat up on the explorer who dared slap you with his machete while you were ignoring him. While the arrogance and pride of the species would ordinarily make it so demanding tribute or penance for wrongs against them fits the species, I know that this is currently disallowed due to player abuse and that any such situation where it would make sense to contact the Torch in such a way should be ahelped before doing anything that takes initiative on putting the ascent center-stage. I'm not 100% clear on what the Ascent are supposed to be doing in an average round when not being bothered by wayward explorers, vox, or salvage techs, but based on their ship being a colony ship/seedship I'd hazard that they're out there to explore exoplanets for potential nesting grounds.

2. Karbivio

Karbivio Ascent Species Maintainer

Heyo. Sorry this took a hot minute to get to. Your write-up's pretty good, but the Ascent is still fairly warlike at present time. It just takes an event of great magnitude to make the Ascent unify as a fighting force. The seedship's default goal is to establish a colony, but it can really be whatever the gyne desires.

If you can cook me up an example gyne, you'll be good to go.

3. Gal Paladin

Gal Paladin Assistant

No worries, I saw that you tend to get to them in batches with big gaps in between from past approvals.
    34 Field Between Three Mountains: A gyne from a mountanous area between two continents on a fairly cold but biodiverse world. As a middling gyne of her nest, she feels she has a lot to prove and tends to be harsh to her subordinates and take insults particularly poorly. Her current expedition is to catalogue exoplanets and other sites of strategic interest for her nest, and her own main goal scout out potential new colony locations to establish herself more firmly among the Ascent. She finds primitives entertaining but is generally focused on inter-gyne politics and proving herself so they usually end up beneath her notice.

4. Karbivio

Karbivio Ascent Species Maintainer

Lookin' good. Approved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.