Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Garbage] Security Alt Titles

Discussion in 'Policy Discussion' started by ParadoxSpace, Nov 30, 2017.

1. ParadoxSpace

ParadoxSpace Mr. Roboto Game Moderator IPC Species Maintainer

For awhile, we've had this thing going where the Master At Arms title was exclusively for Fleet/EC, and Military Police was for Marines. This was never actually written anywhere. I personally believe it should be written down somewhere.

2. Sabira

Sabira Head Developer Donator

Security shouldn't have alt titles if it's confusing people before they even get into the game. Get rid of the alt titles and leave the arm bands so you can pick if you want to be a MaaAAAaAaaA or whatever

3. Eckles

Eckles Lore Manager Manager Game Administrator Skrell Species Maintainer

I don't think we need to start making alt titles branch only, they're alt titles.

More to the point, who's even impacted/bothered by this? And why? I've seen loads of Fleet MP's or EC MP's or a couple marine MA's.

Can't say it's ever had a negative impact on my round.

Virgil likes this.
  4. mkalash

mkalash Donator

For clarification, by "we've had this thing going," you mean to say that people have been enforcing head canon onto other people, which is not acceptable. Regardless of your opinion, there is no rule or policy you can point to to enforce this, and I will tolerate no one doing it -- in or out of character.

For my own opinion: it is just an alt title. It means nothing. Don't worry about it. I don't care what the US military says.

5. Spookerton

Spookerton Public Kohai № 1 Staff Manager Manager Senior Administrator Community Moderator Donator

It's false and disingenuous to claim that it's an artifact of head canon, as well you know. We've been told on multiple occasions by successive headmins to nudge people to use correct titles, as marine = MP, fleet/EC = MAA. All it isn't is written down - like many of our other implicit rules. It should be, but the fact that it isn't doesn't make it not a long standing and well defined thing.

6. Sabira

Sabira Head Developer Donator

What does a MA do differently than a MP that necessitates there being a distinction between them?

7. Lonefly

Lonefly Donator

I think we should just pick one of the two. I prefer MP over MaA but meh. I just think Master at Arms sounds kind of dumb.

BlueFishie and Blazerules like this.
  8. mkalash

mkalash Donator

We have not. No staff- or player-wide notice that this was included in the lore or the rules has ever been given by any head administrator, to my knowledge. Nowhere do our regulations or lore even mention this distinction, and it only exists from people carrying over their ideas from the US military.

The Great Skeeve likes this.
  9. Eckles

Eckles Lore Manager Manager Game Administrator Skrell Species Maintainer

This wasn't even an issue 24 hours ago, why does it have to be one now.

Was the status quo so bad?

BlueFishie likes this.
  10. SierraKomodo

SierraKomodo Command Keyword Detected

I can't say I've ever been told to nudge people about that; Who's said that? How long ago? As a mod, my personal thoughts on this are: If it's not written down, don't enforce it.

Virgil likes this.
  11. Hubblenaut

Hubblenaut Research Director

It doesn't have to be a rule when it can easily be enforced by mechanics. Have them automatically spawn in the correct title and nobody will have issues.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  12. Mark9013100

Mark9013100 Banned User

Alternative: get rid of the alt titles, have one title that people can easily identify. a good portion of people won't know what the fuck a 'MASTER OF ARMS' is unless they google it.

13. Hubblenaut

Hubblenaut Research Director

It really just takes a few seconds to learn. Nothing wrong with learning either.

Syndikate likes this.
  14. Alfa1561

Alfa1561 Senior Enlisted Advisor

Is it really that much of an issue? They fulfil the same role and can essentially fulfil the same duty with regards to the military/EC. All it changes is a little title and the corresponding shoulder identifier thingy you can choose to wear. I mean hell, all the security officer plate carriers have POLICE tags anyway, don't they?

15. Kelenius

Kelenius Executive Officer

Who

cares

TheGreyWolf and SparklySheep like this.