Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Godhood Re-Revival

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by warbluke, Oct 27, 2019.

1. warbluke

warbluke Petty Officer First Class

Howdy! And welcome to Godhood!

This is a forum game that aims to blend creative writing with roleplaying, where you take the role of a god in the style of the ancient pantheons. The world here is young and unfurnished, ready to become the focus for the machinations of the Gods, who pursue whichever agenda they desire.

Game Rules

- This is my first time running something like this, and rules are subject to change as the game goes on

God Character Sheets

- Every player who wishes to join the game fills in a character sheet for a god, conforming to the template provided below the character they will play during the game.

- For a sheet to be processed and added to the game, it should be posted in this thread

- When applying for a vacant spot, try to create a god who (you think) would balance the existing pantheon as much as is possible.

- When creating your god keep in mind that the gods of Godhood are neither omniscient nor omnipotent.

-If you do not get into the initial cut, that is okay! Spaces will likely open up as I get the hang of this and previous gods die off or leave.

Character Sheets:
    Names: This includes both traditional names and/or titles, multiple monikers are permitted.

“Physical” Attributes: The appearance and symbology of the god, E.G: Athena with Silver eyes and Owls.

Description of the character: What is this god like? What drives them, and how would their personality be described by mortals?

Essence

- At the start of every turn, all gods receive 'essence'. The amount of essence the gods receive is based on..

- .. the combined strength of their received worship (several fanatic cults could be just as strong as an entire moderately pious population).

- .. their connection with the outlying universe and the overgod, meaning how closely they are acting with their spheres and attributes (This can go both ways, meaning that acting severely out of character can bestow negative essence.)

- .. numerous other (secret?) factors.

- The gods can store their essence, up to a total of seven units. For every act a god receives beyond the number of seven they risk minor backfires. (Losing essence, uncontrolled acts.)

- Gods are allowed to have a negative amount of essence, but this carries great risks the further into the negative the god goes. (Failure to act, unintended side-effects, or even death.)

- If you are unsure about the amount of essence your plans might cost, send me a PM, and I will reply with an exact number. I will never inform you of possible repercussions when you go negative.

-At the end of each turn I will post to summarize the events of the round and what happens next, as well as the remaining essence of the gods.

Acts

- Acts are the divine 'actions' of the gods.

- Almost every act will consume essence. (One exception, for instance, is communication with other gods.)

- When you write an act, you should use whatever font or style you want for the in-character act, but then bold a short statement, like in the following short example.

Uristos, on his knees, kissed the feet of the statue of Dolobus, pleading his god for aid. Dolobus thus appeared to Uristos, his most pious worshipper, and granted him his wish. "Let it be from this day, that no man who is bearded, stout, industrious and small of length, shall have to live a life of sober sin." After these words his god departed back into nothingness, leaving Dolobus gasping for air as he tried to comprehend what he had just heard: A large glass carafe, masterfully decorated with bands of gold and silver, positioned in the hands of the statue, was all that remained to testify of Dolobus' visit to the temple.

Dolobus grants Uristos Mechidrunkardeo the carafe of plenty, which is unbreakable and will always refill with wine when empty.

(This example is also demonstrates an act that would cost only one point of essence.)

- Manifesting to mortals is free if it is part of an act for which the god used essence. It is also free to manifest to a select few humans, but not to large crowds. (So no (free) decrees to entire populations. Use people to spread your word! Manifesting IN a crowd is no problem, as long as you do not directly influence that entire crowd.)

- Do not spend an entire turn solely manifesting to group after group after group of humans. At some point, this will start costing essence.

- Manifesting to notable characters (especially those who are already tied up in divine matters) is free. (As long as the god has an awareness of their location).

- Divine markings or blessings which pass down through descendants are allowed!

- If you are clearly overstepping your power I may say 'no' and cancel your act, or produce severe consequences (since you might overshoot into a huge negative amount of acts). If you are unsure about something, discuss it with me first.

Gods Currently In Game

Nobody yet

FOUR SPACES OPEN

Post content shamelessly stolen from AppleMaster, who lifted the same rules from the old archive forums.

2. Manored

Manored Executive Officer

Its shameless rule stealing all the way down, basically.

I'm gonna wait to see if there are enough interested peeps before spending the time rubbing my neurons together to imagine a god, and maybe get ironically locked out after 4 peeps show up out of nowhere.

warbluke likes this.