Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happytimes99 - Dionaea

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Happytimes, Jul 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happytimes

Happytimes Bartender

About You

What is your Byond key?
    Happytimes99

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    A month or two.

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    Shamus O'Sullivan
    Sean Gates

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    Dionea

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    I've played as nymphs with translators before and always thought it led to really interesting roleplay. Small stuff like talking to a prisoner and having the concept of a prison explained to me or watching a minor work and asking them why they put themselves in bags when they go outside are always fun.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    "The Light Of The Supermatter Shard Reflecting Off Of The Visor Of Chief Engineer Wilkins".
    "Glowing Mushrooms Shining Light Upon The Hydroponics Tray Of Our Birth"
    "The Groaning Sound Of The Sundered Metal Heard During The Structure's Collapse"
    All of these would be shortened for use in conversations and on IDs.

Summarize what you know about the species.
    The Dionaea are a gestalt race of plant-like organisms called Nymphs. Nymphs on their own are cat sized critters that resemble insects with one large eye. Nymphs are highly curious as their goal is to collect information to better the gestalt they will eventually become.
    After they have decided they have learned enough they will find another nymph and merge together into a nascent gestalt. This is a blob of a few Nymphs that goes around looking for information and more nymphs to join. It is still fairly uncoordinated and is incapable of speaking in any tongue other than its native Rootspeak.
    Once enough Nymphs have gathered together they will have entered their final form, a full Dionaea gestalt. This can range from being 7 feet to the size of a space station, the larger ones will end up orbiting stars to harvest their gas and energy while the smaller ones will continue to traverse ships, stations, and planets in search of more knowledge. At this point the nymphs are fully coordinated, so much so that they cease to have a sense of individuality and instead act something like one large brain. Due to this shared thought process the larger a gestalt becomes the greater its "processing power" becomes. This comes at a trade off with their thought process and reactions becoming much slower as stimulus takes longer to travel through the mass of nymphs.
    Dionaea Gestalts remain curious and will continue to seek knowledge. Often they will acquire personality traits similar to the beings they have grown up around with. One important thing is that Dionaea are incapable of understanding the concept of violence and will never knowingly and willingly harm another being. The only cases of healthy Dionaea harming other beings are accidents and cases in which they were instructed to without knowing what they were doing.

2. Happytimes

Happytimes Bartender

Apparently I'm supposed to bump after 48 hours?

So here's a turtle fact: Turtles need to be underwater to swallow their food.

thebest_player757 likes this.
  3. Happytimes

Happytimes Bartender

Second bump. Second Turtle Fact.

The oldest recorded tortoise was Tu'i Malila. Gifted to Captain Cook by the royal family of Tonga this Radiated Star tortoise lived until the year 1965 which would make her 189 at the time of her death. this would make her the oldest land vertebrate known to man.

Attached Files:

4. Happytimes

Happytimes Bartender

Also I noticed Noble has been asking for character concepts so let's get that out of the way now.

Incessant Beeping Of The Human's Biometric Readout Device or "Incessant Beeping" had many of their nymphs mature and observe daily life within a medical facility and, as such, would naturally be drawn to becoming a doctor. While their ponderous nature makes them a poor fit to becoming a medic or trauma surgeon their unquenchable thirst for knowledge has made seeking out medical publications, chemical textbooks, and observing surgeons in action a pleasurable and common activity. Owing to this Incessant Beeping has become an excellent doctor who performs routine surgeries with the utmost care and precision and will ensure that anyone coming in for a checkup will have answered exhaustive questions and undergone every test in the book prior to a diagnosis being made.

5. Happytimes

Happytimes Bartender

Another day, another bump.
    Turtle fact: Did you know that a turtle's gender is determined by the temperature the eggs incubate at? Eggs incubated below 28°C will always be male and eggs incubated above 30°C will always be female. This leads to a gender gradient as you go upwards in the nest.

Attached Files:

6. Happytimes

Happytimes Bartender

Another day, another bump.

Turtle fact: Did you know that what we call "turtles" are actually 3 separate groups? True turtles live solely in the ocean and only ever come on land to lay eggs. Tortoises live solely on land and cannot swim. Terrapins live in freshwater rivers, lakes, and ponds and can walk on land and swim.

7. Eonoc

Eonoc Vox Species Maintainer Deputy Serpentid Maintainer

If it ah. Helps at all, I've seen some of his nymph play. It's pretty solid, if he carries that outlook forward into Diona, in my opinion. But, not my job, just offering my endorsement.
    I generally find Happy's characters to be fun to play with, and think he could bring some solid Diona play to the table.
    129 of the slightly over 300 species of Turtle, Tortoise, and Terrapin are endangered, making their order (Testudines) one of the more threatened among Earth's species.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Happytimes likes this.
  8. Noble Caos

Noble Caos Game Administrator Diona Species Maintainer

Seems... relatively good, and I've heard good things about you. Sorry for taking so long to get to to this.

As for the character concept, make sure that while you roleplay it, it doesn't get in the way of like... emergencies?

Accepted

Happytimes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.