Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Head Developer's Corner

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by xales, Jun 15, 2018.

1. xales

xales Host Game Administrator Developer Community Moderator

I must sincerely apologize to @sabiram as I now pass the head developer torch to them.

Good luck. Don't die!

Miraviel and Manored like this.
  2. Sbotkin

Sbotkin Senior Enlisted Advisor

Great, now we all are doomed!

Manored likes this.
  3. Meyar

Meyar Retired Worstmin 2015-2017

But dad I hate change

5crownik007 and Manored like this.
  4. Sabira

Sabira Donator

Yes hello I am the head developer by default because nobody else was interested or able to do so this time, and that's all that was left was pretty little me. Despite this I have a few minor goals for my headship in no particular order:
    1. Appoint someone to act in my absence so we don't have problems with inactivity. This person will be acting head dev if I vanish for longer than a week or whatever time, so the dev process doesn't stall unnecessarily
      • Just decision-making for PRs and so on, no wide-reaching powers
    2. Finish up skills stuff (i.e. start helping with reviews)
    3. Collect documentation (for things like setting up git, squashing, map merging, mapping basics etc) in a place that's easier to navigate and reference than the game wiki, which is a dumpster fire, and the forums, which is a forum
    4. Git commenting rules, contributor code of conduct and code standards
    5. Give devs ability to moderate #coding, halfop on IRC perhaps (if we aren't already, haven't been on IRC in forever)
    6. Clearly define what devs are expected ('you are a mod, you need to do mod things') AND permitted ('if no one else is online to help you can teleport someone if they get bugged in a wall') to do in game (discuss with devs + head admin)
      • I had a discussion with Virgil regarding this and he should be making the result public fairly soon
    7. Integrate lore into game; desc editing, adding lore to items and areas instead of hiding it away on wiki
      • Once we figure out what we're doing, this is a great way to learn git and start helping out
    8. A 'contributor' role on discord for people in good standing who have above an undetermined amount of commits. No special channels, just makes your name a different colour to let everyone know you're chipping in
      • A secret special channel would just turn into #coding2 or go unused entirely.
    As things develop I will be posting in this thread to hopefully keep everyone on top of what's going on on the development side, especially considering these points above.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  5. Meyar

I haven't looked at git in a long time. I know through some weird quirk I had a higher commit or change count or something than was actually appropriate due to map-merge fuckery back in the day. I'd say maybe account for 'recent' contributions as well. Someone like me who hasn't done anything on the repo in... literally years doesn't need a shiny, yanno?

6. Sabira

Sabira Donator

Update:

Anyone in good standing with more than 50 commits on the GitHub can DM me (on Discord) the following information to be assigned the Contributor role: your BYOND key, and your github profile URL.

Developers can now pin and delete messages in #coding

I'm starting work on the documentation, contribution standards and conduct rules tomorrow. It'll all be in the GitHub wiki.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  7. Sbotkin

We have a GitHub wiki?..

8. Sabira

Sabira Donator

I just enabled it, it's empty at the moment but won't be for long.

9. Noble Caos

Noble Caos The Lorax

The old lore wiki, the one I murdered because it was literally worthless at the time.

Blazerules likes this.
  10. Sbotkin

11. Sabira

Sabira Donator

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  12. Sabira

Sabira Donator

Update:

If am unresponsive for over a week consecutively, @Chinsky will become acting head developer until I return.

The acting head developer will be responsible for making top level decisions regarding pull requests, but will otherwise function as a standard developer. All decisions they make will be final, and I will not overrule them on my return.

13. Chinsky

Chinsky Retired Staff

14. Sabira

Sabira Donator

Update:

Zuhayr has been made a developer.

I've annexed the custom items system into the kingdom, with the lore manager retaining the right to approve submissions and deny or request changes on anything that does not fit the lore. I will be personally attentive to the submissions forum, but all developers have the power to approve and deny. This should speed up turnover in that forum substantially.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  15. Sabira

Sabira Donator

16. Sabira

Sabira Donator

Any concerns regarding development or specific PRs should be brought to my attention, and not Virgil's. If you have some kind of fear of talking to me for any reason just imagine yourself as Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, a man of great confidence.

SierraKomodo and Manored like this.
  17. Sabira

Sabira Donator

Belated update:

We have new channels on Discord:

#feedback is for both providing feedback for merged PRs and opened PRs and is additionally moderated under the Code of Conduct
    #dev-feed is a live feed of basically everything that happens on the repo

Both of these channels, #coding and #ideapit are now in the Development channel category, as well.

Meyar likes this.
  18. Sabira

Sabira Donator

Update:

A few people have asked so I've created a thread on the contentious PR system, viewable here:
    https://forums.baystation12.net/threads/contentious-pr-system.6931/

It contains parts that used to be in the rules thread (https://forums.baystation12.net/threads/gameplay-change-subforum-rules.5838/) - that thread is now specifically containing rules and guidelines.
    ------------------
    Developers have been provided guidelines on in-game conduct.
    ------------------
    I will be hosting a town hall on Wednesday the 5th. See the #town-hall channel in the development category on discord for the information.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Earthcrusher likes this.
  19. Tristan63

Tristan63 Senior Enlisted Advisor

Congrats.

20. Meyar

This visible somewhere? It'll need to be cited in conduct complaints.

Banditoz likes this.