Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi from a newbie

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Snarkdude, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Snarkdude

Snarkdude Bartender

Hey all. Just started playing last week. I've been a journalist, botanist, and janitor so far. I'm working my way up to roles with more responsibility, but right now I'm just getting used to and enjoying roleplaying and fleshing out my characters. Any advice, particularly things that aren't clear from the wiki and the tutorial section of the forum, would be welcome. Nice to meet you all, and have a nice day.

2. Venku22

Venku22 Bartender

Don't always trust the wiki, especially when it comes to engineering. Find a competent person to train you in game. Both medical and engineering have trainee positions, and they are wonderful. Less pressure because people know you are learning, and the others will usually assign someone to teach you something new. You know, as long as the Torch isn't imploding on itself.

3. Boznar

Boznar Game Moderator

Basic prerequisite for being an engineer or medical trainee is to know the layout of the ship well enough. As in, "Responding to places you're called to promptly". The best way to learn the ship layout is to play Sanitation Technician or Cargo technician, as they have maintenance access and require lots of moving around, but are still relatively easy.

If you take on one of the harder roles, start as trainee. Always ask questions, never do anything you aren't comfortable doing, and always be sure to let people know if you don't know how to do something.

If you're looking to get involved in how the ship operates as a whole, I recommend playing bridge officer. Bridge officer doesn't have a ton of responsibilities, and has access to several channels which will help you get a feel for the round progression as a whole, rather than trapped in the dark as a sanitech.

4. Tristan63

Tristan63 Senior Enlisted Advisor

Also if you start in a new department that doesn't have a designated trainee role, go the lowest rank possible. IE; Ensign Surgeon, XPL/CA MAA, etc.

5. Snarkdude

Snarkdude Bartender

Thanks for the advice, all of you! I will have to make a bridge officer for myself next time I play, and the trainee roles do seem nice. Is crewman a useful position for learning roles as well? From the description, it seems like it also has access to maintenance and can potentially help out anywhere. Or would it be better to go with the more specialized training roles?

6. Boznar

Boznar Game Moderator

Once you're comfortable, I would recommend jumping right into the trainee roles instead of going crewman first. Also, if you do decide to play trainee then higher pop is better. The more people in the department means more people who can carry your slack and you'll have more resources to learn from. It's not fun for trainees when there's no one to teach them and they can't get stuff done due to not knowing how.

7. thebest_player757

thebest_player757 Bartender

Hi if you select high on antag prefs you will always get it and please dont atmos grief antag. It makes me very very sad. Thanks and goodbye welcome aboard.

8. Snarkdude

Snarkdude Bartender

Well the good news is, literally all I know about atmos is what the name means, so at the moment I wouldn't know how to atmos grief if I wanted to. But, should I ever learn how the systems work, I will be sure not to use the knowledge for griefing :)