Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hublisting - Can we stop for the time being?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neon1ight, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Neon1ight

Neon1ight Chef

Hey everyone, thanks for stopping by. I know I'll probably have an accusation of clique-mindedness or other such ad hominem thrown my way for this, but I feel like it's something we need to talk about.

As I write this, Bay is currently on the hub. There are 79 people on the server, and in total there's around 1600 people playing SS13-- An increase of around 600-700 people compared to what it was a month or go, give or take. In the long term, this is a good thing-- More people means more a bigger ss13 community, and also even more roleplayers to create stories with here on Bay. However, in the short term, I feel like we need to limit the amount of exposure Bay has to the ssethtide- Over the last few days, we've seen a pretty incredible increase of people joining with no intention of roleplaying in mind. Evil Poopman, Adolf Hitler, Sistafista, GREASE MAN JOE, etc, are just a few of the names of characters I've seen joining. At the same time all of this is happening, administration is trying to increase our RP quality here on server- Problem is that this is a difficult thing to achieve, let alone with the aforementioned influx occurring.

While hublisting was a necessity around a year ago, to compensate for declining player counts, it's not as necessary now-- In fact, I feel that hublisting is decreasing server quality as long as the ssethtide is occurring. I don't want us to never return to the hub-- But a week or two without it? I think that's a reasonable course of action. A slower-paced round once in a while is nice, and as someone who can only play a round or two a day during primetime, it's something I missed.

2. MattAtlas

MattAtlas Chef

Honestly, the ship is way better if it's actually populated. Most of the baldies I see actually put ij some effort at least.

In my opinion looking at a dude with a shitty name, going "baldie" and continuing as normal is well worth the player increase. But that's just me. Always liked faster paced action packed RP rounds and higher pops-- can understand if others don't.

Emmanuel Bassil likes this.
  3. mikomyazaki2

mikomyazaki2 Petty Officer First Class

For all the low effort griefers, there have been people who have been genuinely interested in what bay is. They will stay, the griefers will get banned. If there is a problem then it is short term .

I have been having great fun teaching new people Engineering.

Don_Piano likes this.
  4. Emmanuel Bassil

Emmanuel Bassil Senior Enlisted Advisor

Don't take my opinion too heavily, given I play once every month or so and I managed two rounds during this tide, but...
    Honestly, ship feels more alive. And I did spent one hour helping a new guy learn how to Chef on discord, and his roleplay is top notch right out the door. (Seems like a seasoned roleplayer.)

Different feel, new roleplayers, more action... I like it.

5. Paradoxon

Paradoxon Retired Staff

As the current answers show, the amount of players and the subsequent greytidiness is really not something will react to the same way. The real question that should be asked about being hublisted and newbies being around is "can the staff handle the load ?" And that's a question only the staff can answer, so this thread seems kind of moot to me.

6. TcOne

TcOne Research Director

In fact, that's not true. I can't tell about now, but I can tell about previous times, when server needed staff, and noone was around to help. Staff don't even know that they're needed, when they are not there.

7. Paradoxon

Paradoxon Retired Staff

It's not "not true" either though. Like, yes, I know what you mean, but the issue of lack of staff at certain hours has no relevance to the question of hubness; Bay being hublisted or not doesn't change a single fact to staff availability at these hours (and while I do agree that the reverse, "staff availability worsening a situation where greytiders are swarming and no staff's around to deal with it", is very much true, it's not relevant the question at hand, "can staff handle the load", 'cause it wouldn't handle that specific load either way). What it does change is the workload of staff when they are online, and that, only staff knows if they're swamped or not.

8. MrGodZilla

MrGodZilla Bartender

I highly enjoy the elevated player count, lowpop seems to happen a little later now, and with all the new people come new names and faces, something that's incredibly refreshing compared to seeing the same old people round after round doing the same jobs. The "name griefers" as mentioned usually get quickly shot down by the time police moments after they spawn and only seem to serve as a laughing stock for dead chat. But really, for every incredibly unsubtle griefer that spawns with harmless, stupid names as mentioned above there are dozens of genuinely interested new players who only want to learn the game and have fun.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  9. baton4ik220

baton4ik220 Bartender

Name griefers and such aren't the problem, it's the newbies who choose a normal name, a normal occupation, they're bold and speak funny but you give them the benefit of the the doubt, and you only realize that something's wrong once the SM is delamming, or all the patients you put in cryo are magically outside and dying.

flying_loulou likes this.
  10. flying_loulou

flying_loulou Sol Gov Pilot

I personnally love teaching, it's one of the reasons why I made Blanchet the way I did. The problem is, when you have 7 staff in a department, and only 2/3 of them know what they're doing, you have to choose between teaching them properly, and therefore jeopardizing the others, or do the things yourself, which isn't cool for the newbie.

We arrived to a point where you can't even stick 1 newbie with 1 "experienced" player (by experienced I mean that he at least knows basic stuff of his job, and has an overall idea of the ship's layout), because you don't even have enough of these experienced dudes. So you end up trying to teach them when you can, but still do things on your own because you feel bad for those who need those things done. This situation just gets on the "elders" nerves, while not being enjoyable for the newbies either.

Not to mention the high amount of people medical/security has to deal with because they bashed themselves with a steel rod 'cause "I wanted to make myself pretty" (true story)... even though this isn't my main problem with hublisting.

So I think, perhaps, we should take time to welcome properly the newbies we currently have, make sure they get "in the mold" (understand : they fit the server's spirit), before seeking for even more population.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    baton4ik220 likes this.
  11. El Robusto

El Robusto Chef

I don't enjoy what's going on right now with tons of new people joining in at all. Even if shitters are dealt with quickly, they can still ruin someone's RP with their actions. Especially when there's a whole batch of them at once, running around, doing petty crimes, not acting like a "sane and mature" character should. So in the end we get ten good apples out of a hundred bad ones. Situation during lowpop hours doesn't change for me at all, still twenty players at max, out of which only ten are actually playing. In conclusion, I don't find hublisting a great thing. People who want serious RP out of this game will find this server eventually.

12. SparklySheep

SparklySheep Retired Staff

Man this thread is making me actually want to play again. Sounds like there's actually fun people to play with on the server again.

(Please keep it on the hub.)

13. Rodmuth

Rodmuth Petty Officer First Class

In my opinion we should keep it up. About a year back, there were so few people playing that it led to even fewer people playing.

14. Persona E

Persona E Game Administrator

We've been off the hub for about a week already (set per-round, almost every round.) The influx we're seeing is already tempered by not being on the hub - and it's an okay balance, since people have to look up some ss13 servers and decide they want to join bay based on what they see (which is probably that bay is one of the HRP servers).

I'd personally be okay with staying on the hub and dealing with the suck to get more fresh meat on the server but /shrug, that would probably look like 120-130 highpop.

Higgin likes this.
  15. Emmanuel Bassil

Emmanuel Bassil Senior Enlisted Advisor

There is! I've had a blast last night. One of the first times in years I feel traitors are causing genuine chaos on this server.

16. Rowtree

Rowtree Game Moderator

hub weekends, anyone?

17. Virgil

Virgil Director of Administration

Once things settle down from the spike caused by certain reviews, we'll be going back up on the hub as usual. For now we'll likely be staying off until things calm a little.

flying_loulou and Neon1ight like this.
  18. spessCarp

spessCarp Chef

I’ve always thought the mindless baldies *cough*Russians*cough* would be perfect if they were designated to the entertainment channel where we can watch them robust each other. :D

19. Don_Piano

Don_Piano Bartender

Nice necro there. Also, that makes me a mindless baldie. Sad.

20. spessCarp

spessCarp Chef

To the blood sport arena you go! :D