Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denied Inclusion of cultural phrases for added RP

Discussion in 'Archived Staff Complaints' started by Bobert_Roberts, Oct 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobert_Roberts

Bobert_Roberts Assistant

Hi there.
    I'm Bobert_Roberts. I've been playing SS13 for about 18 months, Seethtide I know, and have surfed several different MRP and HRP servers.
    on oct.15 I had a disagreement with SierraKomodo over the use of the Cantonese phrase "Ai Ya" (哎呀) for a character of mine that is of Asian heritage.
    Simply put, "Ai Ya" (哎呀) is used as as "a exclamatory phrase expressing surprise, blame, dismay, shock, or fear."[1] used by Cantonese speakers in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and singapore. Ai Ya use is so ubiquitous that it has been included in main land Mandarin[2].
    I appreciate that this server is an ally for POC people. I've have to wade through a lot of murky waters as a poc and LGBTQ+ person IRL and avoiding that in game is very hard at times so I can see your aversion to anything close to stereotyping. I'd ask you to consider this as inclusionary instead of stereotyping. I've seen a lot of people here use different accents and vocal ticks to show this as an inclusive atmosphere of different cultures. I've spoken to my Taiwanese friends while learning Cantonese and wanted to include a more "real" aspect of that into the game instead of erasing it with a non-sensible version of Cantonese/mandarin version in-game that erasing the culture of Asian languages into a random word generator.

from a game mechanic perspective, Yang Yu and other languages are used to ensure RP compliance instead of allowing people to metagame with another language. Comparatively, roleplaying a character would include certain linguistic tics to distinguish them from speaking common. Using a phrase does not affect the mechanics of the languages in game nor does it server to weaken the use of languages as a RP tool. However relying on an in-game language for a simple phrase would not be inclusive as it erases that culture completely in favor of a artificial language that is designed to sound vaguely Asian, which in itself is problematic.

As a POC and LGBTQ+ I'm very aware of stereotyping in media and condemn it. I would hope that after my explanation we can both agree that the inclusion of linguistic phrases only serves increase RP is conclusive to a inclusive community.

references
    [1] https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/aiya
    [2]

2. Virgil

Virgil Senior Administrator Game Administrator

Follow the complaint format (template button at the top).

Denied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.