Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jabberdragon - GAS

Discussion in 'Approved' started by Jabber, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Jabber

Jabber Assistant

About You

What is your Byond key?
    Jabberdragon

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    Approximately two days (with Discord participation in between)

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    Casey Evans, Joel Albright

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    Giant Armored Serpentid (GAS)

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    I am an experienced roleplayer with an interest in non-standard, non-human characters. I was reading species and the GAS immediately stuck out as unique; non-humanoid, non-mammal, non-standard body language and communication? That checks all the boxes I look for in terms of fun and interesting characters.

I also work in the AAC (augmentative and alternative communication) technology field to provide support for people with communication-related disabilities and impairments. I think playing a race specifically designed to utilize nonstandard communication methods is a way to approach communication between people in a more unique and inventive manner.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    What GAS call each other is too complex for humanoids to convey, so I imagine they're given a designation by handlers or liaisons within Xynergy. I like to think that as a megacorp Xynergy may use alphanumeric designations such as "TW-445 Delta-Charlie" but then assign a more common nickname like "DeeCee" or even use common names from their own culture, like Paul, Manuel, Hiro, and the like.

Summarize what you know about the species.
    GAS are arthropod, serpentid lifeforms with long, segmented bodies and four arms. They have insectoid features similar to mantids and centipedes, although their secondary arms have finger-like digits capable of fine(ish) manipulation. Originating from the planet Tau-Wilo, the GAS were discovered and subsequently began being trained for labor by the corporation Xynergy.

GAS are distinctly non-human and non-mammalian in their biology, behavior, and mindset. Before Xynergy began their operations to train GAS, they might not have been considered civilized or even sapient by most other races due to their physical appearance and inability to produce humanoid speech. They are skilled hunters and still rely mainly on ambush hunting, though they are omnivores and also employ primitive farming methods to provide sustenance for their colonies. Despite appearances (and apparent behavior) GAS are capable of learning complex tasks, able to pick up skills by observing others or being manually instructed and demonstrated tasks hands-on. Younger GAS can learn a variety of skills, but as they age they may not retain as many or may discard unused or unpracticed skills. GAS also lack complex problem solving and are unable to extrapolate knowledge they may have into practical solutions without direct instruction or observation.

GAS tend to be incredibly sensitive about their personal space and may feel uncomfortable or threatened when approached. Their body posture and mannerisms can be used to determine a GAS's current mood and temperament, with threat displays including raised scythe-limbs and color-shifting chromatophores indicating possible aggression, nervousness, or a threat display. They may also hiss, click, or bite at things, or buzz their wings when alarmed or uncertain.

What is your character concept for your trial period?
    Subject Training Assessment and Grading (STAG)
    Designation:
    Tau-Wilo 1818 Kilo-Kilo
    Common Desriptor: Kiki
    Sex: Female
    Coloration: Brown-orange with darker mottling along the dorsal area
    Training: Medical/Chemistry (for game purposes, EMT or Chemist, depending on availability)
    Grading: A+

Supervisor Assessment: Number 1818 Kilo-Kilo or "Kiki" has responded well to socialization and training, with a particular aptitude for the more complex tasks required of the medical division. Initial interaction with humans was positive, though naturally the threat responses required acclimation through routine contact with handlers. We exposed the subject to other GAS working in the medical division and found her to be attentive and observant. Upon reaching adulthood the subject was able to complete multiple tasks related to the handling of medical supplies, as well as Search and Rescue operations, emphasis on field triage. Subject is also quite communicative and clearly states intentions, questions, and discomfort; in times of stress subject retreats or defers to senior handlers. I never thought I'd see a [REDACTED: UNAPPROVED TERMINOLOGY] that was almost personable, but there is definitely still that personal bubble.

Approved for immediate assignment.

Signed,
    George A. Mendez, Xynergy GAS Relations Supervisor

2. Eonoc

Eonoc Deputy Serpentid Maintainer

An excellent application, all in all. I like your descriptions, your lore is solid, and your character concept is excellent. I apologize for how long the response has taken. I'll make this fairly quick as a result, with the addition of the fact that your application gives me a good feeling about you.

Semi-standard questions, ho:
    1. A workplace accident occurs. With your chemistry desire in mind, let us assume that you have spilled polytrinic acid on yourself. How do you/Kiki proceed?
    2. An individual is consistently harassing you. Shouting. Poking. Prodding. Getting in your way. How do you act?
    3. There is a dangerous situation brewing. Mercenaries have boarded the ship, and one way or another, you've made an enemy of them. They want to kill you, and one is coming down the hall towards you. How do you proceed?

3. Jabber

Jabber Assistant

Thank you, I understand that the holiday seasons are a busy time for everyone, but I wanted to try out some alternatives! I'm happy to hear you think my application is good because I want to apply extra effort.

1. This is a very interesting question. GAS can only apply skills they know to a problem directly as they lack problem-solving and lateral thinking capability. A GAS chemist knows names and ingredients but not purpose. Kiki would not know that a basic solution might dilute or cancel an acid, despite probably knowing how to make bases and acids by name. Instead, she would report the incident and call for help; she would not be able to make a solution to help herself. If someone were to tell her what chemicals would neutralize an acid, she might be able to make them, but only if provided their exact name - "Make a basic solution!" wouldn't work.

2. Kiki's high grading means that she is better able to control her threat responses, but she is still skittish of personal contact and likes to maintain a generous personal space. First, she would ask the individual politely to stop - "Hello you are making me uncomfortable and I would like to stop please." If this does not work, she would become more anxious, seeking any way to move away from that individual, contact her superior, and try to keep her anxiousness under control. Some responses - like the color-changing - are not conscious on the GAS's part so she might start to shift into more striking color tones before she calms down. In extreme circumstances she might flee the area entirely and engage camouflage until she's sure it's okay.

3. This is assuming she hasn't already fled into maintenance and engaged camouflage in a dark corner somewhere, but if she senses danger, her first instinct is to flee from it. She's very docile and has been discouraged from making threat displays due to her line of work; in turn, her responses tend to be nonaggressive self-removal. If she were confronted she would move to the nearest corridor that can accommodate her and hide.

I hope these answers are thought out and informative. I actually also had some questions regarding GAS, mostly in terms of physiology and vocalization. Is there a better place to ask those questions?

4. Eonoc

Eonoc Deputy Serpentid Maintainer

Flawless answers, all. This in light of the general quality of this application leads me to say that this is ACCEPTED.
    As to where to ask questions, and such, I'll happily help you. Just send me a message on Discord, and I'll gladly answer any questions you have.