Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denied Job Ban Appeal - Shadowtail117 - Boznar

Discussion in 'Archived Appeals' started by Shadowtail117, May 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYOND Key: Shadowtail117
    Date and Time of Ban: 5/16/2020, approx. 9:30 PM PST.
    Character name at time of banning: Arru Akols
    Name of admin who banned you: Boznar
    Jobs you were banned from (if applicable): All security roles
    Reason you were banned: During the round in question, I overreacted in capturing an escaped prisoner and beat them on harm intent with a stun baton (as well as using lethal laser shots) instead of attempting to de-escalate the situation as a forensic technician. I've also had a prior security ban, also for overreacting.
    Duration of ban: 1 month
    IRC hostmask (only if you're banned from IRC): N/A
    Discord username (only if you're banned from Discord or dev channels): N/A
    GitHub username (only if you're banned from the repository): N/A
    Reason you should be unbanned:
    After taking some time to think about the way I have approached security roles, I think I understand where I have gone wrong and how I should be playing. I played a significant amount of /tg/ forks before coming to Baystation, where combat is mostly who can kill each other the fastest; incapacitation is an avenue less-traveled. Calling for help doesn't help as much either, since you have to not only stop fighting to type it out but help would usually arrive too late. In Bay, though, combat is very different and still something that I have had to adjust to to fit the proper mentality of HRP. What I did in that round was most definitely out of line and disengaging and calling for help should have been my first priority—especially as a forensic technician and not a master at arms—rather than attempting to take the escapee down with lethal force. Plus, I realized after the fact my stun baton was off, so I believe that it was a combination of errors that culminated in this unfortunate incident. (As for my previous ban, it had been due to a misunderstanding of a game mechanic and was also in relation to a bug which has now been patched.)
    After taking some time today to watch security handle criminals, I think I have a much more solid grasp on what proper use of force should be—taking actions like disarming the opponent or incapacitating them with flashes, pepper-spray, etc. before resorting to more violent and potentially lethal methods of taking them down, as well as understanding the true difference between FT and MAA in apprehending criminals. Of course, I feel the ban is fully justified and I am not saying Boznar was incorrect in applying it. All I ask for is one more chance to prove myself worthy of being in security roles and acting under the proper rules and guidelines. Even a simple reduction in ban length (e.g., to keep spectating proper security gameplay) would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

2. Boznar

Boznar baaaaaznar Game Administrator

Hi @Shadowtail117,

In many scenarios as security, it is often difficult to make reasonable in the moment decisions due to adrenaline, stress, or other factors. In this particular scenario, You had every possible advantage and time to prepare before engaging a low threat target which you opted to subdue with lethal and harmful means. Particularly as a forensic technician, this is not okay. This pattern of repeat behavior (which has been displayed already in a previous ban) has raised a concerns, and ultimately is why I will be keeping this ban in place.

That being said, I appreciate the understanding and effort you've put into this appeal. It demonstrates that you've considered the options available to you in retrospect. Furthermore, when we had our discussion in PMs you were very agreeable on the matter and seemed willing to improve.

I will be reducing the ban for Master at Arms to 2 weeks. Ftech and Senior Security roles will remain in place for the full duration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.