Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jumpable Plate Carrier - Tal Ravis - BLUNTFORCE420

Discussion in 'Custom Items' started by t0l, Oct 22, 2019.

1. t0l

t0l Bartender

BYOND Key (Username): BLUNTFORCE420
    Discord/IRC name: t0l#0420

Name of Item: Jumpable Plate Carrier
    Type path of the item receiving the sprite: /obj/item/clothing/suit/armor/pcarrier/tan(?, I don't know type paths for shit, but something in that realm should be about right.)
    Description: A lightweight, minimalist tan plate carrier designed for maximum mobility without sacrificing protection factor. It features a skeletonized elastic cummerbund, forked load-bearing shoulder straps, and low-visibility plate bags. It can be equipped with armor plates, but provides no protection of its own.
    A PNG image of your icon(s) hosted on a website such as imgur:
    [​IMG]
    The DMI of your icon(s): https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...636317885337436190/jumpable_plate_carrier.dmi
    I am the author of this icon/I have permission to use this icon: yes i maded it myself

Name of Character: Tal Ravis
    Main Job(s) of Character: Contractor Forensic Technician
    How this item relates to your character: Once a contracted private military peacekeeper, Tal's highly-minimalist mindset lead to him purchasing this article and wearing it for most of his years spent deployed on the outer fringes of inhabited space. Now contracted to conduct low-intensity criminal investigations aboard the Torch, Tal has brought his old, well-worn plate carrier along with him, finding it comfortable enough for extended wear while still being perfectly adequate for the potential threats he faces.

Other Notes: It's a simpler, thinner plate carrier, based off of the real-world Crye Precision™ Jumpable Plate Carrier™, that identifies him as a “bring-your-own-gear” type of Contractor. Its significantly smaller footprint in comparison to the Fleet/EC-issued PC emphasizes his role as less of a combatant/MAA/shitcurity and more of an investigator, where sec duties typically should come in second and thus the big bulky vest isn't quite as necessary as say, comfort, or mobility. The color scheme is effectively 1 for 1 in terms of color palette with the default tan PC and remains fairly high-contrast in most sections of the Torch, furthering the concept that this was a personal artifact he brought onboard, rather than standard-issue.
    [​IMG]
    Red is the current standard security plate carrier silhouette, blue is the JPC, both over a mock character image. Yes, by lore standards, it's an "archaic" design, but as a concept, it's literally just two well-made plate bags and some heavy-duty velcro straps, about as minimalist as you can get for body armor unless you just start rubber-banding bare plates around your chest. The actual armor plates will still be taken from the default security vest that spawns in the department lockers, which is where the protection factor will actually come from.

As a side note, assuming my spriting is actually up to par, I wouldn't be adverse to making this a general-use loadout item as an alternative to the stock PC instead of it being my super-special custom item.

Slots used: 1, assuming this gets approved.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  2. t0l

t0l Bartender

3. Eckles

Eckles Senior Administrator Game Administrator Skrell Species Maintainer

Oh I'm very sorry I completely missed this.

Approved.

4. t0l

t0l Bartender