Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denied Karlias - Moderator Application

Discussion in 'Game Moderators - Archive' started by Karlious, May 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karlious

Karlious Bartender

About You

What is your Byond key?
    Karlias

What is your IRC or Discord handle?
    Karlious#8621

In UTC, what time range(s) do you usually play in?
    Weekdays: 7am - 2pm
    Weekends: All over

(Australian Eastern Standard Time basically)

What are the names of your most played characters?
    Seth Whiteman (Human CO)
    Joseph Qrrxuq (SkrellDoc)
    Alexander Xuqxuqm (SkrellEngy)
    Kicks Zixquixvolzaoo (SkrellSec)
    Qrxuqmquumzaoo Xuqmxuq (Skrell Provoc)

How long have you been playing Space Station 13?
    Started on Goonstation back in 2012, moved to Bay looking for a more RP focused community in 2019-2020 (More 2020)

How long have you been playing on Baystation? How much are you involved with our off-server community?
    I started on Bay in 2019, but I've become far more activly involved in 2020, joining the discord server and contributing to the repo.

Have you been a moderator or admin on other Space Station 13 servers?
    No

Have you been in a moderation role for a forum or on chat channels before?
    Yes, I was a moderator on the official EVE Online Forums from 2006 to 2010

Tell us about you. What will make you a good moderator?

The first reason would be that I'm really interested in seeing Bay do well. I've really enjoyed the server and the people playing on it and I want to contribute what I can back to it. This is why I've been trying to contribute to the repo and getting involved in Discord. I'm generally a level headed guy who can handle most situations, I also know when I get triggered and just need to walk away for a bit ;).

I've been a Project Manager in software dev for the past 10 years which has taught me how to work and interact with all kinds of people in different..emotional states, trying to keep people calm, and feel that they've had a positive experience dealing with the moderation/staff team.

To the best of your knowledge and understanding, how you would interpret and handle the following scenarios?

Cornydinner9/(Blake Ashdown)) continually responds in LOOC in regards to the actions of 3wolfmoon/(Alek Mendoza) on their character rather than reacting to them normally. When you use OOC => Who, it shows that Cornydinner9 joined the server for the first time two days ago.

First, check Cornydinner9's account notes, to see if any other moderations/admins have interacted with this user before if this is a repeat behavior the response will likely need to be different. Assuming not, the second thing I would send them a message, welcoming them to the server, asking them how it is going, if they are new to Bay or SS13 in general. Then as they're a new player and probably don't know better, point out the rule they are violating (no IC in OOC) and just talk with them for a bit, try to turn it into a positive experience for them with the staff team by asking how it has been going so far, etc. Lastly, leave them with a link to the rules so they can not be bwoinked in the future.

gleaming3, an observer, has started a ticket in which they claim that StaleMichel50/(Pete Wethers) is "killing without RP", and they have not provided much information. When you use Admin => Check Antagonists, StaleMichel50 is listed as a traitor.

Firstly, I'd message gleaming3, saying 'Hi' and asking for additional information (Screenshots/Logs they/I think are relevant, etc) to speed up the investigation. After that, I would check the notes of both gleaming3 and StaleMichel50 (the first might not be relevant, but you never know!) and see if this person has a history of bad antag/rp. Assuming that it is not a current situation that needs immediate intervention, I'd try to talk to one of the victims of the "killing without RP" to get confirmation. Though either way, this ends with a bwoink for StaleMichel50 asking to explain their actions and the RP justification for killing as an Antag. From here the response totally depends on them, either a stern warning or a reminder of the rules and a 'have a good day'.

While you are observing, you notice that melancholy_Chad/(Ogden Bullthorn) and ProudYolande08/(Lou Penny) are both explorers, and have seemingly miraculously been able to find and rescue each other on the exoplanet with ease, in spite of their distances apart at various times and lack of communication with one another.

Tisk tisk, metacommunication is naughty. Firstly, like always, check the notes, do these players have a history of meta comms? Do they have notes involving the two of them often? The approach to take here is dependant on the type of player. If they are brand new or have no or positive notes, its more of an information exercise. Book them, asking if they have read the server rules, specifically about meta comms, assuming they don't, point them in the right direction, and let them know its a big nono (while updating their notes). If they have a history of being bads, keep following them to gather more evidence and be poking an admin to escalate the situation.

Superiordorene/(Alex Burnette) is complaining about BIGMAMMOTH/(Jessica Olivers)'s character being "unprofessional" in adminhelps. Upon looking at the situation, you find that the actions of BIGMAMMOTH do not violate any server rules, though Superiordorene is clearly upset.

Just like in real life, the best is to let Superiordorene/(Alex Burnette) have a bit of a vent. Now as it's better for general server morale to have happy players, I'd message them, asking them what they believe is wrong. If this is an IC issue, being handled OOC, I'd give them a general reminder that some characters are asshats IC, and you shouldn't take OOC offense, but maybe you should react to the "unprofessionalism" in character, maybe even give them a few pointers. If it's a quiet round, I'd keep an eye on the two of them just to make sure we don't have a real break of the rules...

A ticket is opened by colorful_berry67/(Simon Paulson) to complain about something that happened between themself, StraightGertude15/(Eli Mathers), and EnergeticPlastic/(Vlad Petrovic) on the bridge. While the issue appears legitimate. There are a number of discrepancies in the stories between colorful_berry67 and StraightGertude15, with the story provided by EnergeticPlastic not relating at all to those of the other two.

Cases, where stories don't line up, are probably pretty damn common in resolving issues/tickets. This is why we have the logs! Review the logs of the situation, see what story they likely support. The logs may even include an unknown party that hasn't been mentioned by the rest of the players that more information can be gathered from (Perhaps even a ghost :spooky:). If you really can't find anything, maybe ask if anyone witnessed it in OOC, but I'd use this sparingly/as a last resort as it pulls people out of the round.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Boznar likes this.
  2. Ursur

Ursur Retired Staff

I haven't really interacted with Karlious in-game but their application looks solid, it shows that their previous experiences in moderating are genuine. Also their activity hours seem to fill in an important gap.

3. Karlious

Karlious Bartender

Appreciate the kind words mate

4. Eckles

Eckles Senior Administrator Game Administrator Skrell Species Maintainer

Hello following discussion we are unfortunately going to be denying you at this time. However! Please don't feel bad, only good things have been said and you are a great member of the community, we just want to see a little more established regularity from you over a longer period of time. Please consider applying next mod wave!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.