Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Karlias - Skrell

Discussion in 'On Trial' started by Karlious, Mar 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karlious

Karlious Assistant

About You

What is your Byond key?
    Karlias

What is your Discord username?
    Karlious#8621

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    On and off for the past year or so

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    Seth Whiteman – Executive Officer
    Karl Jones – Physician
    ICARUS – AI

Though given I primarily play in the AUTZ, I might not be that well known.

About The Species
    What alien species are you applying for?
    Skrell

Why do you want to play as the alien species?

I’m primarily looking to play as the Skrell to create more interesting RP interactions with other players. Being an alien species allows for quite interesting interactions with other players.

The reason I’m applying for the Skrell in particular, is that I’m looking to have more fun and engaging RP opportunities that don’t involve being an ass (looking at you Vox!). In addition, A highly advanced but stagnant and possibly soon to be falling empire, is right up my alley. (though Obviously Skrell are a series of City-states, not a giant empire as they lack a central governing body)

What are some example names for the alien species?
    This one is difficult, as they're pretty much gibberish in English, I've included my proposed name in the character concept.

Summarize what you know about the species.

I don’t want to just wiki dump here so, ill gives a few points about what I think are the important aspects, and hopefully the character I’ve included below will also provide some insight.

The Skrell are one of the oldest known species, they took to the stars and colonized other worlds before the Roman Empire even existed They are a highly advanced species compared to their neighbors, but recently (as in the past hundred years or so) their advancement has slowed dramatically. Due to their rapid population growth, they are quite a large empire as well, and now find themselves boxed in by their neighbors.

Rather than a large governing body like the SCG, the Skrell are decentralized. They are a collection of a large number of City States (or planet states). The homogeneous nature of Skrellian society keeps these independent bodies together prevents large fractures. Conflicts tend to get resolved peacefully, or via targeted attacks, not all out conflict.

Their language is quite complex and features both vocalizations and written symbols like complex Egyptian hieroglyphs.

Their complex language provides them with the ability to express a variety of emotions and ideas that the languages of other races do not. When speaking in another, not Skrell language, they can have difficulty expressing themselves.

One vast difference between Humans and the Skrell is their caste-based system. Skrell are born into a caste, while these castes do not define the job or role a Skrell has, they highly influence the behavior of the members. There are 5 castes, separated, and if you could boil them down to one-word descriptions they would be Leadership, Science, Creation, Art and Warrior.

If I could use an analogy, the Skrell are the vast ancient empire, a culture that has lived for a long time, but has already reached its apex. Now the children of the galaxy are growing up, and the Skrell's place in the galaxy is becoming less certain with each passing year. The Skrell reach out to other empires where they can, preferring to peacefully co-exist and learn from their neighbors. With the rapid expansion of the relatively young human race, the question now falls to the Skrell, can they work with and evolve with their new neighbors, or will they be supplanted?

The last part is conjecture from my interpretation, please correct me if it’s wrong.

I know this might be a pretty generic Skrellian character, but I think it’s a safe first concept to better understand how Skrellian work on a human ship like the Torch.

(Question: is Skrellian the correct adjective?)

Character Background

Torch Name: Joseph Sic’Vaas
    Caste: Malish-Katish
    Vocation: Surgeon
    On the Torch via SDTF Exchange Program

Backstory
    • He is from a Skrellian border world quite near SCG territory.
    • He completed his Keri-Gloa at age 25, becoming a Qerr-Mog specializing in the field of medicine and xenobiology, he then served in the SDTF for 4 years before joining the Torch.
    • His homeworld has been impacted by commerce and trade with nearby human colonies and ships. As these interactions increase, the local SDTF has sent out a call for volunteers to participate in the exchange program. The main purpose of this exchange is to learn more about the Humans as the encounters with their kind are increasing rapidly, the local SDTF is hoping to learn more about human society to better interact with and understand them.
    • He signed up to have the opportunity to interact with and study human biology in addition to learning about his new neighbors.
    Behavior
    • He is not a first responder and would generally confine himself to the Medical Bay or other safe area, though as a Surgeon this isn’t always possible. While Surgery and triage can often be stressful when he has a task to focus on, he is “in the zone”
    • In social situations, he is generally reserved, when he first arrived on the Torch it took a great deal of time to become comfortable away from the traditions and customs of his own people.
    • Over time, interaction with the crew of the Torch has become easier and more natural for him. Though he does still find it difficult to sometimes communicate properly with the humans onboard (understanding wise, not language-wise).
    • Recently he has become increasingly curious about the casteless system of the Humans and the variety in the family status and upbringing. Though this can sometimes lead to awkward situations as Humans sometimes don’t like talk about their past.

If you'd like me to structure the backstory more like a...story, just let me know, can also include more details about his upbringing if that would help.

2. Karlious

Karlious Assistant

La bumpz

3. Eckles

Eckles Senior Administrator Game Administrator Skrell Species Maintainer

Hi.

Soo. More focused on the special requirements listed for this than wiki stuff. But- Best not to ever refer to the Skrell as an empire. They certainly don't see themselves that way.

So what I'd like to see is you showing you really understand the mindset of Skrell, rather than your wiki reading skills. To that end, answer these questions:

1. How does a Skrell of any caste of your choosing see their place in society, both as an individual and compared to other Skrell.

2. What do you feel is the biggest issue facing the Skrell border worlds with humanity?

3. How do you feel Skrell on the border worlds with humanity are beginning to differ from more traditional Skrell elsewhere?

4. Karlious

Karlious Assistant

Thanks Eckles - If you want me to go into any more detail, let me know.

Understood on the "Empire" thing - Would Skrell Civilization be a better descriptor?

1. How does a Skrell of any caste of your choosing see their place in society, both as an individual and compared to other Skrell.

As my character concept is Malish-Katish, I will go with that.

A member of the Malish-Katish would see themselves as the Keepers of Knowledge, they would see their place in society would be not only safeguard and pass this down to future Skrell but to also create, invent and discover new ideas/technology to improve Skrell society. They would feel that the progress of the Skrell rests on their shoulders.

They would feel less bound by the traditions of Skrell society, seeing it as their role to discover and experiment with new ideas.

2. What do you feel is the biggest issue facing the Skrell border worlds with humanity?
    The biggest issue is most likely economic. Skrell on border worlds with humanity most likely have more trade with humanity. As Skrellan currency is based around their money decaying after two years, hoarding is not possible, and as such Skrell loan their money to the state, this means there is no need for an income tax.

Trading with humanity means they get SCG Bucks, a currency that does not decay and which can be saved in the long term by Skrell. This disrupts the income of the city-states, as well as the balance the Skrell economy has maintained.

There is also probably also a group of Skrell that believe the individualistic nature of humanity is also a threat to their caste-based society.

3. How do you feel Skrell on the border worlds with humanity are beginning to differ from more traditional Skrell elsewhere?
    Kind of tieing into the above. If contact with humanity is effecting Skrellan society, it would be Humanities individualistic nature. Skrell might start to find less importance in, and start to observe less of the traditions of their society/caste. These Skrell would be more likely to try to find their own path in life rather than feel tightly bound to tradition.

Other Skrell might take a more negative approach, as change is always resisted there may be Skrell who view this human influence and resist it strongly, becoming "Anti-Human" and demanding that traditions be enforced.

I imagine both of these would start to generate some conflict in the planets that border humanity. Traditionalist vs Progressive as it were.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  5. Eckles

Civilisation, yes.

1. I mean, the question was not "the caste as a whole" but an individual. If your individual doctor really believes that their medical work makes them feel the burden of progress for the civilisation as a whole I'd probably call them a spot fanatical. Please remember that just because a caste has its own bindings and traditions and ways of being that doesn't mean that all the persons within that caste blindly confirm to some sort of stereotype that they hamfist into their existence.

2. How does getting human money disrupt the income of the city states? Getting human currency means they have more currency for external trade, allowing them to make purchases from humanity without having to trade their own tech directly.

3. Mostly right, though Skrell are typically less "anti-species" and more guardedly insular as to their own thing when outside influence begins to creep in. Caution, patience and measured change is key.

Please respond to the above and give me one more character concept.

6. Karlious

Karlious Assistant

1. Sorry - Yes, I was referring to the caste as a whole, I misunderstood the question. On an individual level... If I take my first character concept as an example Skrell. He sees his place in society as an explorer. Living on the frontier with Humanity right on its doorstep, he feels like it's his place to get out there, to discover and learn. Not only from the unknown but from Humanity, which he is sure is going to play a large role in shaping this region of space (Humanity, not his activities).

Alexander (The Character Concept below) would see himself as a cog in the machine. He’s just trying to stay employed, and progress through the corporate ladder to support himself and his family. He would view a Skrell like Joseph to probably being a bit selfish, putting his own wants/needs for exploration above that of his family.

I know these stick pretty close to the mold when it comes to their castes, I understand that these are not hard and fast rules that each member of the caste needs to feel/follow. I'm just sticking to a more...simpler character concept for the first few to get a chance to get a feel for Skrell before I start to experiment with more diverse characters. If you'd prefer though, I can create one that doesnt quite fit the mold of his caste.

2. It disrupts the income of the city states because individual Skrell can save the human currency. Skrell bucks cannot be saved long term so they are loaned to the state. Money being saved disrupts the cashflow of a city state because individual Skrell don’t need to loan human bucks to “save” them. I doubt its all or nothing, I’m sure the influx of human currency does benefit certain realms such as human trade. Though if your main stream of income from the people (taxation basically) is disrupted, that is bound to cause some instability.

Do I just have this completely wrong? Is the impact on the income less of a problem than the benefit of the human currency for trade?

Character Background
    Torch Name: Alexander Qrxuqm
    Caste: Kanin-Katish
    Vocation: Engineer
    On the Torch via Krri'gli Corporation/NanoTrasen Contract

Backstory

• After becoming a Qerr-Mog, he has been working with the Krri'gli corporation for the past 12 years and is now on the Torch as part of an exchange program with NanoTrasen. At Krri'gli, he was a competent worker, well-liked by his colleagues.
    • Alexander specializes in Reactor construction and maintenance/operations.
    • His traditionalist family was not terribly happy he is leaving join a human ship for a year. He has tried to convince them that this will benefit himself and his family in the long term.
    • He isn’t particularly interested in serving on a Human Starship, the reason he accepted the position in the exchange program is that he is hoping for a greater position in Krri'gli when he returns.
    Behavior

• While initially distant with the crew of the Torch, mainly because he wasn’t interested in going in the first place. The Engineering Team of the Torch welcomed him with open arms and over time, they’ve started to become close friends.
    • While Alexander has become more comfortable with his colleagues in Engineering, he still maintains distance from the other members of the crew, feeling a bit out of his element when interacting with non-engineering staff.
    • He is always on the lookout for an interesting trinket, that he can send back to his Qarr-Maqa back home.
    • When off duty, his friends in engineering try encouraging him to go to the bar or lounge to socialize with other humans, though without a project to work on and socialize over, like with his engineering colleagues, this is proving to be a greater challenge for him.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  7. Eckles

"2. It disrupts the income of the city states because individual Skrell can save the human currency. Skrell bucks cannot be saved long term so they are loaned to the state. Money being saved disrupts the cashflow of a city state because individual Skrell don’t need to loan human bucks to “save” them. I doubt its all or nothing, I’m sure the influx of human currency does benefit certain realms such as human trade. Though if your main stream of income from the people (taxation basically) is disrupted, that is bound to cause some instability."

It could, to a point, but Skrell need to actually get stuff where they live. For which they need their own currency. So they have to exchange any human cash they have for skrellbucks, which the city state provides, meaning they can't really hoard all that much in Skrell space. So it's less of a problem than you'd think. There's also just flat not that many individual Skrell relatively speaking engaged in human employment.

Re: Your char concept. Mostly fine, but not sure why Krri'Gli, a corp that directly participates in the mission (heck, it's name is on the torch mission patch) is subcontracting an engineer to NT (a corporation with no speciality in engines or ship engineering) just for them to go right to the torch. Probably no real need for NT to be involved there? Odd he picked a human name when he has no interest too but hey ho.
    Also corporate contractors are not on the exchange program. Please read: https://wiki.baystation12.net/Skrell#Skrell_on_the_Torch

Other than that, fine. Approved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.