Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lavillastrangiato - IPC

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by lavillastrangiato, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lavillastrangiato

lavillastrangiato Bartender

About You

What is your Byond key?
    Lavillastrangiato

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    At least four months

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    Rei Patel, Laboratory Technician
    Karera Lockhart-Mitsubishi, Research Assistant
    Rose Lockhart, Explorer

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    IPCs, or Integrated Positronic Chassis.

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    I like robots.

More seriously, I've always been fascinated by narratives about artificial intelligence that revolve around what it means to be human. Questions like; what are the ethical implications for creating something that can think on its own, but think only for its designers? If you encountered something that gave all the outward appearance of a thinking, feeling being, but had no internal consciousness, how could you tell? Does it matter if you can’t tell? Could it be possible for a machine to grow beyond their programming?

I'd also like to spice up my gameplay a bit and try to play characters that aren't human, as a writing exercise, and a robot (even a fairly 'human' one) sounds like a good start.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    IPCs, in game, generally have one-word names, like Mouse, Calamity, or Trauma. They also may have serial designations or fun acronyms (EU-4384, M.E.T.E.R) should they be a manufactured line of chassis.

Summarize what you know about the species.
    A 'species' of human-created robots, designed for purposes of labour, IPCs have long fought for their self-proclaimed sentience to be recognized by the wider SolGov. Often bound to their creator by a Shackle, a mechanism preventing the machine from breaking its laws, IPCs have the ability to purchase their freedom from their employer, or can be given freedom on their own. Some IPCs may belong to the Positronic Union, an advocacy group of sorts of freed IPCs. Some organics of SolGov believe in their sentience; still others point to anecdotes from IPCs themselves that they do not truly experience emotions as organic beings do, and thus are mere objects.
    IPCs do not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, instead requiring charging on a regular basis to maintain function. While older models tended to break down around 15 years at the very oldest, newer models are expected to live upwards of 50 years, should they keep up with upkeep. Many are capable of speech in Encoded Audio Language, a Morse-like language that consists of beeps, whistles, and pulses and is pretty much impossible for any organic being to speak in or understand. More modern IPCs are often bluespace models, who are capable of adaptability in role and social interaction on par with a human.
    While IPCs are not capable of holding command positions in the Fleet or the EC, their advanced calculation abilities and level nature makes them popular in research fields, and they are slowly becoming accepted in the medical field as excellent surgeons.

Character Example
    Nishakara
    , formally known by their serial designation NIGHT-1158-C, was developed and marketed by Ward-Takahashi GMB as an advanced criminal investigator and forensic technician. Highly detail-oriented and nicely durable in case of conflict, Nishakara was the ideal crime-solving assistant to any respectable security department.

But Nishakara themself was noticing small details out of place in their own programming. They found in themself a draw to the theatrical where they knew they had been programmed with none. Perfect professionalism was now marked by wearing an outfit reminiscent of old Earth private eyes, and a new desire to observe organics beyond the confines of Nishakara’s job. Though they explained this to their manufacturers as an attempt to become more appealing to humans, Nishakara was beginning to question their neatly curated and designed role. Were they more than machine, or were their newfound desires simply another product of their programming?

2. lavillastrangiato

lavillastrangiato Bartender

3. Spookerton

Spookerton Head Administrator Director of Administration Head Administrator Game Administrator IPC Species Maintainer Donator

Sorry, I've been dead IRL.
    Looks fine to me. You'll have the machine race by the next round.

lavillastrangiato likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.