Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denied Lunarbeetle - Moderator Application

Discussion in 'Game Moderators - Archive' started by Lunarbeetle, Feb 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lunarbeetle

Lunarbeetle Assistant

I know it isn't still the 10th in every time zone, but in mine it is, so I hope I am still eligible!

About You

What is your Byond key?
    Lunarbeetle

What is your IRC or Discord handle?
    Discord Lunarbeetle#2740

In UTC, what time range(s) do you usually play in?
    4 am to 7 am
    6 pm to 10 pm
    (occasionally) 11 pm to 3 am

What are the names of your most played characters?
    Samuel Emphall (CoS)
    Omicron (Engineer/Senior Engineer)

How long have you been playing Space Station 13?
    Since August 2018

How long have you been playing on Baystation? How much are you involved with our off-server community?
    Bay was my first ss13 server, so since Aug 18'.
    I am reasonably active on the discord, forums not so much. (but I do lurk)

Have you been a moderator or admin on other Space Station 13 servers?
    Not yet.

Have you been in a moderation role for a forum or on chat channels before?
    I adminned a small-medium sized (~50 people) discord server a few years back

Tell us about you. What will make you a good moderator?
    I highly enjoy Baystation (and ss13 as a whole) as a medium for roleplaying. Recently I've noticed just how satisfying and fulfilling it is to teach someone a new skill or job that they didn't know before, and seeing them get good at that job over the next few weeks as they play. I'd like to expand my chances to teach and assist players by applying for moderator status, as I believe I would be able to reach more people looking for immediate help.

To the best of your knowledge and understanding, how you would interpret and handle the following scenarios?

Cornydinner9/(Blake Ashdown)) continually responds in LOOC in regards to the actions of 3wolfmoon/(Alek Mendoza) on their character rather than reacting to them normally. When you use OOC => Who, it shows that Cornydinner9 joined the server for the first time two days ago.

If CD just joined the server 2 days ago, it is unlikely that they would be giving genuine advice over LOOC, so what we can assume is that this is solely chatter or just LOOC-salt.
    I would message CD, greeting them and welcoming them to the server, inform them the rules on LOOC usage, and ask them if they had given the rest of the rules a read through as well. In my experience these kinds of people simply don't understand the rules, so informing them politely and respectfully is the way to go.

gleaming3, an observer, has started a ticket in which they claim that StaleMichel50/(Pete Wethers) is "killing without RP", and they have not provided much information. When you use Admin => Check Antagonists, StaleMichel50 is listed as a traitor.
    Killing without RP isn't strictly against the rules, but going on a rampage with no reason at all is. I would press Gleaming for slightly more information, as this may just be a matter of their personal opinion. I would also look at logs and interview other players for their versions of the events. If it seems that there actually is an issue, I would thank Gleaming and the others for their input and tell them the issue is being handled. (Really I would do that anyways) I would then message StaleMichel and point them to the server rules on antags, and encourage them to create more oppurtunities for RP if possible. Checking their notes would also be helpful to reveal if this is a recurring problem. If it is, then I would alert an admin or a more senior staff member for input.

While you are observing, you notice that melancholy_Chad/(Ogden Bullthorn) and ProudYolande08/(Lou Penny) are both explorers, and have seemingly miraculously been able to find and rescue each other on the exoplanet with ease, in spite of their distances apart at various times and lack of communication with one another.
    I would look at the join dates of the players, they may just be new to the game and not understand the rules. Secondly, I would check their notes to see if they had been observed doing this before. Then, I would message one of them and ask them (not accuse them) if they were communicating with the other player outside of the game. If they cooperated and said they were, I would give them a warning and inform them of the rule against OOC communication. If they then followed my warning, I would note it and consider the issue resolved. If they had a history of metacomming, or didn't cooperate when messaged, I would pass the issue on to an admin.

Superiordorene/(Alex Burnette) is complaining about BIGMAMMOTH/(Jessica Olivers)'s character being "unprofessional" in adminhelps. Upon looking at the situation, you find that the actions of BIGMAMMOTH do not violate any server rules, though Superiordorene is clearly upset.
    Superior is upset, so it is important to stay receptive to them and give the impression that their concerns are valid and are being dealt with (because they are). Frankly, Mammoth isn't violating rules, so they don't really need to be messaged. I would tell Superior that Olivers' actions are within the confines of the rules, but I would give them some tips on how to handle it IC. This could end up being an opportunity for RP. I would also monitor Mammoth a little more closely, just in case.
    The most important thing to consider here is that Superior is clearly upset, and should be treated seriously and with concern. Losing a player due to them feeling administration didn't take them seriously is terrible first of all, and could end up disparaging the reputation of the server.

A ticket is opened by colorful_berry67/(Simon Paulson) to complain about something that happened between themself, StraightGertude15/(Eli Mathers), and EnergeticPlastic/(Vlad Petrovic) on the bridge. While the issue appears legitimate. There are a number of discrepancies in the stories between colorful_berry67 and StraightGertude15, with the story provided by EnergeticPlastic not relating at all to those of the other two.
    SS13's mechanics breed confusion, as not everyone is able to hear all communications, and most events are experienced secondhand through reports over the radio. It is understandable that people could have different versions of events. They aren't lying or fabricating a story, they just saw it differently. So it is important not to treat these players that they are liars. The first step is to get information that everyone can agree on. Checking logs is imperative in this situation, as it provides an unbiased view of what happened. After piecing together what exactly happened, I would take appropriate action. Of course there is the chance I couldn't understand what happened, so in the event of this I would request help from an admin or senior staff.

2. Lunarbeetle

Lunarbeetle Assistant

well shoot, it looks like they've already been chosen. oh well, maybe next time

EDIT: I guess if it's possible could I get some feedback on this? for ~3 months from now?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  3. Spookerton

Spookerton Head Administrator Director of Administration Head Administrator Game Administrator IPC Species Maintainer Donator

You're more than welcome to re-post the same application next time if you want to, assuming nothing changes. For now, though, I'm marking this denied. :B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.