Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make Loss Prevention Associates Provocateurs

Discussion in 'Archive' started by FearTheBlackout, Dec 19, 2019.

1. FearTheBlackout

FearTheBlackout Retired Staff

Link to PR: https://github.com/Baystation12/Baystation12/pull/27853

Summary of changes: Loss Prevention Associates are now Provocateurs by default. Provocateurs are semi-antagonists who have more license to cause trouble than ordinary characters without the full freedom of a regular antagonist like Traitor.

Why these changes should be made: I think this change would be good because LPAs have never been intended to be a "corporate Master at Arms", or really even a force for good. Their ultimate goal, as indicated in-game, is to guard the Corporate Liaison with their life, and being a Provocateur would only help with this, as they could go to more extreme measures to secure those ends. It would also give staff a better reason to contact LPAs who try to validhunt or play like Security, as they are supposed to be causing trouble, not helping the rest of the crew.

Another helpful addition, if it is requested, could be to explain what a Provocateur is in LPA's description for newer or unfamiliar players, or specify that LPAs are encouraged to protect their CL and work within the gray area of the law above all.

2. flying_loulou

flying_loulou Senior Enlisted Advisor

Oh god please no.

So I'm fairly against this. I was way too busy to do any PR recently, but I sure had in my plans to turn the LPA into personal secretary for the CL (by removing its gun/armors, mainly).

I think making them provocateurs (or any form of soft antags) would just encourage the toxic/bad LPA roleplay by giving them even more ways to slow a round down by trying to slam their usual memey gimmicks on the command staff (Along with the CL, indeed). Remember, that might be fun for command, eventually, sometimes, perhaps, (if it's not just unsufferable for them) but it's completely unfun for the whole rest of the Torch, stuck because 1/2 players are having fun going against anything reasonable just for the sake of doing so.

I don't see why the staff can't quite bwoink bad LPAs for turning into a bounty hunter right now.

I believe the sole objectives of the LPA is to protect the CL, and eventually be some sort of a secretary/goon. So I don't know why they're supposed to be necessarily causing troubles.

In addition, forcing the LPAs to be antags would be uncool for those who wish to play them in a non-antagonistic way, which is unfair. That's just limiting the roleplay possibilities regarding that role, which I find counterproductive.

An alternative would eventually be to turn them into secretary, but automatically give them the renegade role. And even then, I'm skeptical, and I'm not sure if it would be constructive either.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  3. mikomyazaki2

mikomyazaki2 Petty Officer First Class

Totally agree with flying_loulou.

The role is not inherently meant to be antagonistic, you're an EXO-hired assistant and your goals are aligned with EXO's.
    People that run around waving their gun and threatening people who look at the CL funny are not RPing a believable LPA. If you want to be an antag LPA, put traitor to high.

I'd rather see it lose its gun, and be able to spawn as an assistant to more people than just the CL e.g. SCGR.

4. Spookerton

Spookerton Head Administrator Head Administrator Senior Administrator Game Administrator IPC Species Maintainer Donator

Yeah absolutely not. I already posted about this in feedback, but everything above. As a role that's already of zero value, making it an active always-antag is just fuel for the delet fire.