Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denied MattAtlas - Moderator Application

Discussion in 'Game Moderators - Archive' started by MattAtlas, Apr 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattAtlas

MattAtlas Chef

About You

What is your Byond key?
    - MattAtlas.

What is your IRC or Discord handle?
    - I only use Discord - Matt#1523.

In UTC, what time range(s) do you usually play in?
    - Usually from 12:20 to about 18-19 or so. On saturdays and sundays I can do a few hours earlier.

What are the names of your most played characters?
    - Emily Cress, Luke, Sarah Ali, Nathan Carey.

How long have you been playing Space Station 13?
    - Two to three years, give or take.

How long have you been playing on Baystation? How much are you involved with our off-server community?
    - I've been playing here on and off for a year or so, so about January 2018. I only started getting more playtime a few months ago, and now it's become my main SS13 server. I'd like to say I'm pretty involved on the Discord by now, but I don't use the forums too much, other than applications or posting memes.

Have you been a moderator or admin on other Space Station 13 servers?
    - Yeah. I've been a Moderator on Aurora, then a Secondary Admin after six months. I retired after a year, became a trial moderator on CM then dropped out for a few reasons that I don't think would be relevant here.

Have you been in a moderation role for a forum or on chat channels before?
    - I was discord staff for CM. I also did discord moderation on Aurora, although that's expected of all moderators+.

Tell us about you. What will make you a good moderator?
    - I'm fairly confident in my skills in most departments on the mentoring side. As for moderating, I've got a bunch of experience under my belt, for both HRP and MRP-- I know how to handle situations, I don't get heated in admin PMs, and I'm open to seeing other sides of the same coin when dealing with more complex stuff and so forth. I'm confident in my ability to not overstep my bounds, to not overpunish and to understand that this is a game, most people are here to have fun and I shouldn't be shitting on that.

To the best of your knowledge and understanding, how you would interpret and handle the following scenarios?

Cornydinner9/(Blake Ashdown)) continually responds in LOOC in regards to the actions of 3wolfmoon/(Alek Mendoza) on their character rather than reacting to them normally. When you use OOC => Who, it shows that Cornydinner9 joined the server for the first time two days ago.

- Since he's pretty clearly new, check his notes, see if this is a recurring thing or if someone already talked to him. If not, I'll send him a PM to welcome him, inform him that this server is HRP and give him the usual link to the crash course to roleplaying + the new player guide. After that, he'll also need to know that LOOC isn't for discussion but for stuff like correcting chat mistakes or help with mechanics, and to keep IC things IC. After that, I'll note this down in his notes.

gleaming3, an observer, has started a ticket in which they claim that StaleMichel50/(Pete Wethers) is "killing without RP", and they have not provided much information. When you use Admin => Check Antagonists, StaleMichel50 is listed as a traitor.

- Sounds like a good time to check VVs. Look at StaleMichel's variables, check the time stamp of the attack logs and see if there was any dialogue between the two. No dialogue? Fair enough, they could've killed something like an MAA that tried to kill them as well, so let's check for that too. Get some more witness accounts by those he recently killed and inquire about the roleplay or reasons they were killed, if necessary.

If gleaming3's story checks out; in case they have no notes, I'll shoot StaleMichel50 a PM and remind him that antags aren't here just to kill, but to create a story and so on. I'll accompany that with some advice on how to go around doing that in an easier way that's better for both parties and a note. If this is a repeat issue, it's something for an admin to handle, so I'll pass it onto them with the relevant info.

While you are observing, you notice that melancholy_Chad/(Ogden Bullthorn) and ProudYolande08/(Lou Penny) are both explorers, and have seemingly miraculously been able to find and rescue each other on the exoplanet with ease, in spite of their distances apart at various times and lack of communication with one another.

- Metacomms are often pretty hard to dig up, but first let's check if they're something that can communicate like that (admin events with multiple lings, telepathy, and so on). If that isn't the case, I'll keep a pretty watchful eye over the two and tell other staff to keep watch too. What I'll be looking for is typical signs like A wordlessly going to B if B gets injured. If it looks suspicious enough, I'll PM one of the two and inquire about it. From there, it's something an admin has to handle in case they're actually metacomming, so I'll pass it along.

Superiordorene/(Alex Burnette) is complaining about BIGMAMMOTH/(Jessica Olivers)'s character being "unprofessional" in adminhelps. Upon looking at the situation, you find that the actions of BIGMAMMOTH do not violate any server rules, though Superiordorene is clearly upset.

- First we need to see what Superior actually meant since it's pretty vague - were they rude, or just dismissive? Once we determine that, I'll tell them that Bigmammoth didn't break any rules from my point of view, and it's best to move on and keep playing since it's just a game and there's no point in getting upset like that-- it just makes you burn out of the round faster.

A ticket is opened by colorful_berry67/(Simon Paulson) to complain about something that happened between themself, StraightGertude15/(Eli Mathers), and EnergeticPlastic/(Vlad Petrovic) on the bridge. While the issue appears legitimate. There are a number of discrepancies in the stories between colorful_berry67 and StraightGertude15, with the story provided by EnergeticPlastic not relating at all to those of the other two.

- Pretty recurring theme, some people's stories just don't match up, but it's usually due to heated situations and people venting in adminhelps, which is normal. To deal with this, I'm going to ask each person what they actually saw/experienced in detail-- what I usually do is just jot down a TL;DR of it on a notepad, and do the same for the rest. From there, I'll do it for everyone involved and see where the discrepancies are, which can be solved by checking for logs and reminding people of what actually happened. After that, you can usually get a pretty solid story. In case I just can't do it, it's best for someone more senior than me to handle it, so I'll pass it along or ask for help.

2. Spookerton

Spookerton Public Kohai № 1 Staff Manager Manager Senior Administrator Community Moderator IPC Species Maintainer Donator

Hi. Sorry, but applications are not currently open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.