Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mildly Military: Or How Not to be a Spess' Nam Vet

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Information' started by Raptor1628, May 16, 2016.

1. Chinsky

Chinsky Retired Staff

2. Minijar

Minijar Permanently Banned User

As an additional military lingo, how about "Houston in the blind". It's said in radio communications where you don't know if your receiver is receiving you and you can't receive them. Used in the film Gravity a lot when Stone can't hear Houston but doesn't know if they can hear her.

3. Jango

Jango Sol Gov Pilot

Fucking...no.

Really though, I believe it's supposed to be, "Houston. Commanding in the blind." Otherwise it sounds like Houston is sending but is not receiving.

Those who know more should chime in on that, but yeah, stuff like that is really cool.

4. Mushkiller

Mushkiller Bartender

I've never heard of anything like that, but it would likely be "Houston, George Clooney, commanding in the blind over."

Only other things I can think of that are like that are BEADWINDOW (the person who just transmitted is dumb, and now we need to shut this circuit down) and GINGERBREAD (intruder in the net). Also for the love of god never say over and out or I will beat you through a monitor. It's roger, out.

Raptor1628 likes this.
  5. Finalsong

Finalsong Retired Staff

Remember- No PDA in uniform!

6. Thrain

Thrain Donator

I read somewhere or other (and I'm curious if its at all true) that the navy (not sure who's navy) adopted saluting palm down during the sailing days because normal crew would have weathered and dirty hands almost always, and keeping the palm invisible was a way to hide that. Is that at all true?

Jango likes this.
  7. Raptor1628

Raptor1628 Lore Maintainer Donator

No idea, still the way salutes are done in most places that don't follow terrestrial British military tradition.

8. Lonefly

Lonefly Donator

If you don't wear your PDA on your uniform, you are a scrub.

9. Finalsong

Finalsong Retired Staff

PDA as in personal displays of affection

10. Lonefly

Lonefly Donator

Not having PDA while dressed in uniform means you're a scrub, because..

11. In all honesty, I cannot wait for the cringe for when some people try to go super-hardcore military with their super edgy backgrounds. Torch heeeyyypp.

12. Jango

Jango Sol Gov Pilot

Yeah, history guy here, this be true. That is why the Royal Navy (them, it's them) started the palm down, as it would be a sign of disrespect to show a dirty hand to your officer, who was almost always of a higher social/political class than you. The army/airforce both retained the palm outward salute. Depending on what contact you received the lot of, your country adopted that certain salute. This doesn't always hold though, because for a time the Royal Navy worked off of an outward palm as well, then before formally changing the salute it was only done by those actually on the ships. There was a lot of fluctuation with this salute, and due to the Empire's global presence you can see its effects today.

Thrain likes this.
  13. Raptor1628

Updated with a section on following orders.

EmGee and Noble Caos like this.
  14. Raptor1628

This guide is pretty much complete, needs some review though.

15. Nick123q23

Nick123q23 Chef

16. Raptor1628

It might not fully fit the CM atmosphere, but if they can use it, all the better. Also *Raptor1628

17. Nick123q23

Nick123q23 Chef

Oh shoot. Fixed it.

18. KoreanUser

KoreanUser Permanently Banned User

Haircuts?

19. Syndikate

Syndikate Sol Gov Pilot

Hair cuts are listed on the Uniform Guide on the wiki. Here's the list.

Bald, Short Hair, Short Hair 2, Cut Hair, Shoulder-length Hair, Ponytail 2, Ponytail 3, Ponytail 6, Parted, Pompadour, Quiff, Bedhead 3, Bobcurl, Bob, Bowl, Buzzcut, Crewcut, Combover, Father, Reverse Mohawk, Curls, Afro, Rows, Flat Top, Mohawk, Adam Jensen Hair, Gelled Back, Spiky, Short Hime, Kusanagi Hair, Skinhead, Balding Hair, CIA, Mulder, Scully, Joestar, Short Bangs, Low Bun, High Bun, High and Tight, High Fade, Medium Fade, Low Fade, Balding Fade, Regulation Cut, Trimmed Flat Top, Shaved, Trimmed, Tight Bun, Coffee House Cut, Parted Fade, Undercut, Chin Length Bob Cut, Square Mustache, Selleck Mustache, Hulk Hogan Mustache, Watson Mustache. For Marines/Fleet

and the EC can do the following as well

Flaired Hair, Long Fringe, Ponytail 1, Ponytail 5, Parted, Sleeze, Bedhead, Bedhead 2, Beehive, Bowl, Devil Lock, Dreadlocks, Afro 2, Flow Hair, Feather, Hitop, Odango, Ombre, Updo, Dandy Pompadour, Poofy, Vegeta, Nitori, Grande Braid, Fringetail, Watson Mustache, Neckbeard, Full Beard, Elvis Sideburns, Abraham Lincoln Beard, Chinstrap, Hipster Beard, Goatee, Adam Jensen Beard, Volaju, 3 O'Clock Shadow, 3 O'Clock Moustache, 5 O'Clock Shadow, 5 O'Clock Moustache, 7 O'Clock Shadow, 7 O'Clock Moustache.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  20. KoreanUser

KoreanUser Permanently Banned User

That need some updates... CIA haircut is meh... you can see them with any cover on your head.