Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accepted Monimus - Moderator Application

Discussion in 'Game Moderators - Archive' started by Monimus, Dec 2, 2019 at 2:04 PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monimus

Monimus Assistant

About You

What is your Byond key?
    Monimus

What is your IRC or Discord handle?
    Sunset (nickname in Bay Discord is Monimus)

In UTC, what time range(s) do you usually play in?
    Usually I’ll play during the later times, from 7pm onwards. From February to early July I was fairly inactive as I was on an academic exchange in another country without access to my proper PC, but now that I've returned, my activity levels are back to what they were before I left for the exchange.

I'd just use this space to note, as well, that I am available earlier in the day during lowpop hours due to my location in the UK, and would be able to moderate over this period.

What are the names of your most played characters?
    Cassian Darrow

How long have you been playing Space Station 13?
    I’ve been playing SS13 for what must be around six years now – over two separate BYOND accounts. My first account was Sheffields (I believe) – but I lost the password for this for a long time, and created the account I use currently roughly two/three years ago.

How long have you been playing on Baystation? How much are you involved with our off-server community?
    I’ve been playing Baystation for as long as I’ve been playing SS13. I got into SS13 after finding out about Baystation, because I was looking for something new to roleplay on. Back then, I played mainly my Head of Personnel character, Elroy Farrow.

I pop my head into the Discord reasonably regularly, and check the forums every now-and-then, though I'd be willing to step up activity in both for purposes of moderation.

Have you been a moderator or admin on other Space Station 13 servers?
    I haven’t.

Have you been in a moderation role for a forum or on chat channels before?
    Yes – through several different mediums. I’ve GM’d high-roleplay guilds in MMOs and other games, as well as moderating some dedicated roleplay servers on games such as Minecraft and Starbound.

Tell us about you. What will make you a good moderator?
    I’ve been roleplaying for years, and I passionately enjoy the escapism it presents. In past staffing positions, I’ve come to really enjoy sharing advice and guidance to those who are just getting involved in roleplay, and I think the genuine enjoyment I have for doing this will be a benefit here. I’d describe myself as patient, and polite – even in the face of some of the more negative experiences that staff members can have, as is unfortunately the case with most staff positions such as this.

To the best of your knowledge and understanding, how you would interpret and handle the following scenarios?

Cornydinner9/(Blake Ashdown)) continually responds in LOOC in regards to the actions of 3wolfmoon/(Alek Mendoza) on their character rather than reacting to them normally. When you use OOC => Who, it shows that Cornydinner9 joined the server for the first time two days ago.
    I’d send the player a welcoming, and friendly message, introducing them to the server and the nature of it to be an environment for high-roleplay. I would then look to send the appropriate materials their way for new players – A Crash Course in Roleplaying/Guide for New Players pages. As a final note, I’d address the immediate issue by politely letting them know that they should respond through the say verb, and not through LOOC – which is not used for in-character replies.

gleaming3, an observer, has started a ticket in which they claim that StaleMichel50/(Pete Wethers) is "killing without RP", and they have not provided much information. When you use Admin => Check Antagonists, StaleMichel50 is listed as a traitor.
    Firstly, I’d see about investigating the logs of StaleMichel50 before, during and after the attacks to check whether the claims by gleaming3 are accurate. I’d want to make sure StaleMichel50 isn’t griefing, so I might get in touch with some of the players killed by them to get some additional perspective. When I’ve gathered enough information, if gleaming3’s observation is not correct, I’d leave it there without passing on any information to them that could spoil the fact StaleMichel50 is a traitor. If, however, the ticket is valid – I’d then get in touch with the offending player to ask for their reasoning behind the actions, while reminding them of proper antagonistic play and expectations. I’d perhaps direct them to the rules page, and also to the ‘Traitor’ page on the Wiki. Finally, I’d make a note on the account detailing the conversation we’ve had.

If they have a history of poor antagonistic play, or are uncooperative, I’d be a little more stern in my approach – warning of the consequences from refusing to try and improve, or showing little care for the enjoyment of others in the round. If that were the case, I’d make an admin aware.

While you are observing, you notice that melancholy_Chad/(Ogden Bullthorn) and ProudYolande08/(Lou Penny) are both explorers, and have seemingly miraculously been able to find and rescue each other on the exoplanet with ease, in spite of their distances apart at various times and lack of communication with one another.
    The first thing to do is check whether or not the characters have made any sort of IC planning ahead of this event by doing some log-diving. If there is suspiciously little IC communication, I’d observe them for a little longer to see if they continue interacting with their environment and each other with no IC coordination.

Should they continue to behave in a manner that suggest metacomms, I’d send one of them an introductory PM – just asking if they know one another and are working together. I think it could also be useful to check if they are new players or have recently joined together – it might be the case two friends are just trying to get into the game. If they’re polite, freely admit the metacommunications, and are also new – I’d let them know that metacommunications are not allowed, as this is a roleplay server where we must act through our characters. I’d send along the New Players Guide and Roleplay Crash Course pages, and let them know they can ask any questions of me they may have. Finally, I’d make a note of it on their accounts, and close the ticket.

If they’re uncooperative, and seem to be evidently metacommunicating, I’d have to pass this on to an admin to handle, with my observations being passed along to them.

Superiordorene/(Alex Burnette) is complaining about BIGMAMMOTH/(Jessica Olivers)'s character being "unprofessional" in adminhelps. Upon looking at the situation, you find that the actions of BIGMAMMOTH do not violate any server rules, though Superiordorene is clearly upset.
    I’d acknowledge that the player is upset, but let them know that there are not any rules being violated. In this situation, I think I would give Superiordorene a few pointers and tips about how to handle situations like this IC, so that they can hopefully get some more enjoyment out of the round.

Depending on the behaviour of BIGMAMMOTH, I might keep an extra eye on them throughout the round – just to ensure their conduct does not begin to slip below expected standards of a high-roleplay server.

A ticket is opened by colorful_berry67/(Simon Paulson) to complain about something that happened between themself, StraightGertude15/(Eli Mathers), and EnergeticPlastic/(Vlad Petrovic) on the bridge. While the issue appears legitimate. There are a number of discrepancies in the stories between colorful_berry67 and StraightGertude15, with the story provided by EnergeticPlastic not relating at all to those of the other two.
    First and foremost, I’d clarify EnergeticPlastic’s side of events – as they may have misunderstood what information it is that I’m looking for. I would also look through logs to see how much of what is being said by the other two is accurate, and ask them to clarify anything that comes up as a result of logs. I may also look to see if any others were present and witnessed the event, as they could provide helpful input.

When I’ve gathered the necessary information, I’d pursue the actions needed – and if I absolutely cannot get to the bottom of it, I would seek help to resolve the matter.

2. Spookerton

Spookerton Head Administrator Head Administrator Senior Administrator Game Administrator IPC Species Maintainer Donator

Hiya. I've gone over your application and statistics and you've written up good responses that show the right kind of approach to moderation for the server, you have nothing that would disqualify you, and you're one of the most active applicants. Because of that, I'm happy to accept your application. Give me a nudge on discord and I'll get you set up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.