Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mortecai4 - Dionaea

Discussion in 'Alien Species' started by mortecai4, Jul 28, 2020.

1. mortecai4

mortecai4 Assistant

About You

What is your Byond key?
    mortecai4

What is your Discord username?
    mortecai4

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    Approximately five months

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    Alexis Shrader-2

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    Dionaea

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    After having the opportunity to play as an individual nymph multiple times, i think it'd be fun to play as a gestalt. I find the curious attitudes of the Dionaea relatable as someone who loves to learn new things, and I think they'd make a cool character to play as.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    Translucent Stone Glistens in Darkness (Glistens in Darkness) Shaft Miner
    An Arc of Light Strikes Bare Metal (Light Strikes Metal) Electrician

Summarize what you know about the species.
    Dionaea are a hive mind of small insect-like creatures that cluster together to form a gestalt. They do not require food nor water, and do not sleep. Though they are very resilient, they do require light to stay alive.

A Diona begins life as a nymph, which is the size of a small cat. They appear insect-like, have a single eye for seeing, a tough, protective skin, and two antennae that act similar to radio antenna to communicate in local rootspeak. Nymphs are curious and intrusive little creatures, and attempt to absorb as much information they can as they move on to their next stage of life. Nymphs then cluster together to form a nascent gestalt, a small blob of uncoordinated nymphs that are not fully attached to each other. Finally, they form a dionaea gestalt, and the mass of nymphs is fully connected and mobile. In this form they can communicate with other gestalts and usually shift into humanoid shapes in an attempt to blend in with society. In their final form Dionaea attempt to gain all the knowledge they can from the people and societies they interact with and can interlock with others to form masses as large as a space station or star.
    Dionaea adopt the languages and mannerisms of the peoples/cultures they interact with, and their language used to communicate with other dionaea is called rootspeak.

Character Concept
    Glistens in Darkness was originally merged from nymphs grown in a hydroponics bay in a mining colony on a chlorine exoplanet. The nymphs all emerged from their pods and would follow brave miners who went out to drill for valuable resources. They inquisitively watched as the colonists went about their day to day operations. The colony was fitted with a solar array, and an old-style uranium nuclear reactor as it's main power source. Due to operator negligence, and poor maintenance, the reactor reached super critical temperatures and caused a meltdown. Heat caused bulkhead to melt, breaching outer hull integrity and poisoning many colonists with toxic gas. In reaction to the crisis, the nymphs joined together to form Glistens in Darkness, and assisted surviving crew with suiting up and sending out a distress beacon. Glistens in Darkness and the remaining colonists were picked up by the SEV Torch, where they (just the Dionaea) have decided to stay as a miner.

Mini likes this.
  2. mortecai4

mortecai4 Assistant

3. purplemontart

purplemontart #1 Tree Dad Game Administrator Diona Species Maintainer

Come close and listen to me, my friend, I ask but one more thing.
    Please give to me your answers to these questions that amount to three.

1) You are Glistens in Darkness. You have been aboard the Torch for a few months, when suddenly, David "the janitor I guess" Smith comes rushing up to you with a crowbar and begins smacking you over and over with it. What do you do?
    2) Assuming your actions in the previous question result in you staying in place, the beating continues in spite. What do you do now?
    3) Jeremy "Science Dad" McMann runs up to you one day, hands you a gun and says "point it at the enemies of the revolution" before running off before you can ask anything. What do?