Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denied Nobody in Particular

Discussion in 'Archived Staff Complaints' started by Twoscythe, Oct 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twoscythe

Twoscythe Assistant

Key/Name Of Staff: Sorry, I can't recall. I have the brain damage. I'm not looking to get them in trouble anyway; I just want to remind everyone to be gentle and welcoming, especially with new players.

Your Key/Name:: Twoscythe

Date and Time of Incident(s):: 10/6/2019 evening. Around 9ish PST

Reason For Complaint::
    A moderator was rude to my new recruit, and they've sworn off the server permanently.

Evidence of Complaint::
    I persuaded my brother to roll up a Trainee Engineer, and signed in with my electrician, so I could show him some of the mechanical differences between Baystation and the other servers he had been practicing on. I was going to show him how to construct/deconstruct various walls and machines, and hack/repair vending machines, but we never got that far. IC-ly we'd just be an Electrician and his apprentice minding our own business. I should have turned off all my traitor role eligible at this point, but I didn't think of it until later, and thankfully it never came up.
    My major mistake was that I forgot that even OOC conversations are supposed to be kept to server approved channels, so ya'll can evesdrop on us make sure we aren't cheating, but we continued our OOC conversation on our own Discord, after we logged in. I should have realized this and pointed it out, since I had promised to help him navigate the rules and such. I own that mistake.

Nevertheless, the moderator was needlessly rude to me. They consistently sent additional PM's while I was still typing my response to the previous one, either demanding a faster response, asking another question while I was still answering, or even simply issuing their judgement before I had finished answering the last question. Why even ask if you aren't going to wait for the answer to make your decision? It's a waste of my time and yours, and it presents you as lazy and dismissive. I expect this conduct from surly MAAs, not actual OOC moderators.

I can only assume that they treated my brother similarly, because he was so offended by the way he was treated, that he marched back to cryo, logged out, and swore to never come back. I've done some nasty customer service gigs, and I can forgive a lot of rudeness from a person that I know is just having an off day, but you only get one first impression. If you cannot handle a simple issue like this in a polite, professional and welcoming manner, maybe you need to take a break from moderating.

2. xales

xales Host Game Administrator Developer Community Moderator

Normally we don't post logs of private communication, but since it's being brought up in this rather accusatory way in a complaint by you on their behalf, for both you and the peanut gallery, here is the log.

With your brother:
    and with you:
    Quite honestly, I'm not sure how this could possibly have been handled more politely and gently.

NB: You still haven't followed the format, actually. I've amended the title of your post for you, since this is getting a bit old.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  3. Spookerton

Spookerton Head Administrator Head Administrator Senior Administrator Game Administrator IPC Species Maintainer Donator

Hi.

I've gone through the logs for both of these interactions and in neither case was the staff member interacting with you or the other user impolitely or improperly. It's unfortunate that you feel that way.

Remember for the future, be it here or elsewhere, that the entire space station 13 community is created, managed, and paid for by its users. Nowhere you go will appreciate artificial outrage.

Invalid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.