Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Moderator nol4 - Moderator Application

Discussion in 'Staff Applications' started by Noelysm, Oct 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noelysm

Noelysm Assistant

About You

What is your Byond key?
    nol4

What is your IRC or Discord handle?
    Discord - Noelysm#1075

In UTC, what time range(s) do you usually play in?
    My schedule varies, but almost always within in the 6pm-7am range.

What are the names of your most played characters?
    Basil Berg, NEV-Yarrow, Sage Sabatka, Effie Liu, Lavender Langley

How long have you been playing Space Station 13?
    Seven months. I start playing on Manuel and never looked back when I was introduced to Baystation.

How long have you been playing on Baystation? How much are you involved with our off-server community?
    Just under five months. I am active on the discord and watch the forums.

Have you been a moderator or admin on other Space Station 13 servers?
    Nope.

Have you been in a moderation role for a forum or on chat channels before?
    I’ve GMed text-based role-play servers for about six years. Also of note, I moderate the Manuel discord (despite no longer playing there).

Tell us about you. What will make you a good moderator?
    As much as I enjoy playing a character, I’ve always gravitated to management roles in RP environments; I get my joy from teaching new faces and facilitating the fun that players have. I'm well meshed in the Baystation community, and I want to get more involved and help maintain the environment I've come to love.
    To that end, I consider myself calm and poised in the face of conflict. Outside of SS13, I have a long background in conflict resolution- from anti-bigotry initiates for middle schoolers to breaking up a hundred bickering D&Ders whose halflings got in a tussle, to the endless trials of retail work. It’s extremely difficult to work me up and I genuinely enjoy resolving incidents: as an added bonus, this makes me pretty dang resistant to burnout.

To the best of your knowledge and understanding, how you would interpret and handle the following scenarios?

Cornydinner9/(Blake Ashdown)) continually responds in LOOC in regards to the actions of 3wolfmoon/(Alek Mendoza) on their character rather than reacting to them normally. When you use OOC => Who, it shows that Cornydinner9 joined the server for the first time two days ago.

First, I’d check to see if Cornydinner9 has been greeted yet, and do so if they haven’t been- send a friendly message welcoming them to the server, and link them applicable resources (Guide for New Players, Server Rules, Crash Course in Roleplaying). I would then explain the difference between OC and IC, and that they should respond IC to actions in game. Lastly, I’d let Corny know they can ahelp if they have questions or need help.

gleaming3, an observer, has started a ticket in which they claim that StaleMichel50/(Pete Wethers) is "killing without RP", and they have not provided much information. When you use Admin => Check Antagonists, StaleMichel50 is listed as a traitor.

I’d need context here- that’ll involve asking geaming3 for more details about the situation, eyeing attack logs, and possibly reaching out to relevant dead players. If this paints a bad picture, then comes reaching out to StaleMichel50 to get their side of the story, and firmly reminding them of the expectations for antagonist play: antagonists are there to facilitate role-play, not rack up a bodycount. Assuming they’re cooperative and understanding, I’ll leave them with a link to the guide to antagging, a few tips about less murderous play, and a note documenting the incident.

If they have a notable history of poor antag play or are uncooperative, I’d escalate to an admin instead.

While you are observing, you notice that melancholy_Chad/(Ogden Bullthorn) and ProudYolande08/(Lou Penny) are both explorers, and have seemingly miraculously been able to find and rescue each other on the exoplanet with ease, in spite of their distances apart at various times and lack of communication with one another.

Given the obviousness of the metacommunication, what happens next is dependent on how freely they admit to metacomming and the relative newness of their accounts. If they’re forthcoming and cooperative, I’ll link them to the rules with a reminder that metacomms are a bannable offense, and leave a note of what happened on their accounts.

If either player has a history of metacommunications or generally bad play, or is uncooperative, I’ll pass my observations on to an admin to handle.

Superiordorene/(Alex Burnette) is complaining about BIGMAMMOTH/(Jessica Olivers)'s character being "unprofessional" in adminhelps. Upon looking at the situation, you find that the actions of BIGMAMMOTH do not violate any server rules, though Superiordorene is clearly upset.

I’ll reach out to Superiordorene to let them know that even though they’re upset, no rules were broken. After advising them of avenues to handle their feelings IC -roleplay between Olivers and Brunette, escalating to department heads, etc- I’d try to help them cool down in messages. If they’re still argumentative, I’ll direct them to the player complaints section of the forum —and watch them to make sure they don’t respond inappropriately IC/LOOCly.

If BIGMAMMOTH is a new player, I’d keep an eye on them that shift in case they start to drift into rule-toeing behavior.

A ticket is opened by colorful_berry67/(Simon Paulson) to complain about something that happened between themself, StraightGertude15/(Eli Mathers), and EnergeticPlastic/(Vlad Petrovic) on the bridge. While the issue appears legitimate. There are a number of discrepancies in the stories between colorful_berry67 and StraightGertude15, with the story provided by EnergeticPlastic not relating at all to those of the other two.

I’ll try to refocus EnergeticPlastic- they may not have understood what I was asking about. I’ll also directly ask StraightGertude15 and colorful_berry67 upfront about the discrepancies, and see if there were other witnesses to the incident, and ask them for their perspective- and check these accounts against the logs to the best of my ability. After all this, if I can’t reach a conclusion I’m confident in, I’ll reach out to the team for help.

2. Monimus

Monimus Game Administrator

Nol would be an asset to the staff team. They’re genuine, friendly, and know their way around the mechanics of the server. I completely support their application.

flying_loulou likes this.
  3. Carnation Garneys

Carnation Garneys Bartender

I've known Nol personally for around three years now, and I will openly stand for their maturity, professionalism, and honesty. They've been consistently kind to me, even when I was clearly in the wrong. I can speak for their impartiality in helping me realize I was wrong in a calm, level-headed manner. Finally, I can speak for their assertiveness, they are not the kind of person to cave under pressure, nor scare off in the face of conflict. I think they would make a wonderful mod.

Hunter Martin likes this.
  4. Spookerton

Spookerton Public Kōhai №1 Director of Administration Head Administrator Game Administrator IPC Species Maintainer Donator

Hi there. Sorry. I have to defer applications a couple of weeks due to unavoidable coverage problems. I'll be leaving this open but locked. If that's a problem, ping me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.