Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Policy] Additional Clarification to Respecting Others Rule

Discussion in 'Policy Discussion' started by SparklySheep, Dec 3, 2017.

1. SparklySheep

SparklySheep Retired Staff

Apparently this needs its own page since no new rules are being added to the other one.

Add this clarification, to make it explicit and understood ICly and OOCly:

Racism, sexism, and questionable content are not allowed. This applies as a blanket ban on OOC channels and at admin discretion on IC channels, subject to the behavior being tasteful and not disruptive or offensive to the players involved. If it's something that would be disrespectful in a real world context, don't do it on OOC.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Earthcrusher likes this.
  2. Meyar

Meyar Retired Worstmin 2015-2017

What about IC specism and lore based sexism? Someone's gonna ask it, might as well snipe 'em.

3. SparklySheep

It should be in context in relation to what is the norm of expected behavior for all of us. For example, an Unathi describing the difference between how the ship is and their homeworld? Fine. An Unathi running around and yelling how inferior women are? Obviously that's not respectful.

As for IC speciesm, this is more aimed at the norms of expected behavior of our modern day society, so I don't think it applies (IE, this is aimed at REAL WORLD racism, sexism, and bigotry).

I'll update the rule based on feedback.

4. Maveriknight

Maveriknight Sol Gov Pilot

I can say from experience that speciesism and sexism and other forms of discrimination are fine in moderation. taking it to the point of absurdity, such as how Syd Mckendrick treated synthetics and people in Full Body Prosthetics crosses the line into unacceptable, while, say, choosing a human over a tajaran for a task is acceptable based on species.

That isn't to say it's a bad thing to do, just that from an OOC standpoint, doing it IC can be acceptable, even if it's not socially acceptable, so long as it's within reason.

5. The Great Skeeve

The Great Skeeve Sol Gov Pilot

This topic was going to come up sooner or later. Solution other servers have implemented : You CAN be sexist / whatever, but you need to be subtle about it, and make sure that it is not your characters defining trait.

That is all.

6. Soadreqm

Soadreqm Research Director

As I posted in the other thread:
    The reason I'm talking about Goonstation rules is that they're what SparklySheep quoted in his original proposal.

7. TheLier

TheLier Senior Enlisted Advisor

Well, obviously no Unathi will be running around the ship yelling "WOMANS YOU ARE ONLY TO BREED REEE". Or at least if they do they should be slapped, for multiple reasons. However, if it comes up in a conversation, I do not think it would be unreasonable if an unathi were to express that they do not think sexes are equal. They won't be overly abrasive of it, considering they probably got a work with humans, but I would def see remarks like "suprising from someone like that", or simply stating their opinons if it comes up. Especially if we are talking about two unathi talking between themselves, as there they would not even have to mind the feelings of their human coworkers, as they can't understand it anyways.

We are talking about a race which is highly sexist lorewise, and while they will certainly "behave" IC, I don't see anything outrageous for them to show that side of being an unathi, every now and again. And considering many don't even play an unathi with a more traditional mindset, I can count it in one hand when I saw this coming up IC. And all of those times it resulted in interesting RP.

So, we gotta be careful not to go overboard with this, as long as in character stuff goes. Altough, I doubt being highly obnoxious flies atm anyways.

On the OOC, I fully agree with.

8. SparklySheep

How would this be then:

Racism, sexism, and questionable content are not allowed. This applies as a blanket ban on OOC channels and at admin discretion on IC channels, subject to the behavior being tasteful and not disruptive or offensive to the players involved. If it's something that would be disrespectful in a real world context, don't do it on OOC.

9. Kelenius

Kelenius Executive Officer

I'll just copy from the other thread: "What do you consider sexist, racist, and bigoted?"

10. SparklySheep

11. LorenLuke

LorenLuke Commanding Officer

So with this implementation as I understand it @SparklySheep , the character August Finster, whose was lauded for roleplay and depth of character by players and admins, should have been banned dozens of times over.

Blazerules likes this.
  12. Sergeant Adam

Sergeant Adam Game Moderator

Not to mention Noah Bedran. He'd have been shot out of an airlock the second he opened his mouth.

13. Maveriknight

bedran shows contempt, though, not open unprovoked hostility, there's a difference.

14. The Great Skeeve

The Great Skeeve Sol Gov Pilot

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Make of that what you will.

15. Maveriknight

that's contempt. hilarious contempt.

16. 5crownik007

5crownik007 Permanently Banned User

Be as mean as you like IC, that's what I say. If you're offended, then report them to sec and deal with it IC. In OOC, we should keep banter, but be respectful. Restricting IC racism and specieism is bad.

Dark_Kota likes this.
  17. Maveriknight

I'm sure there's more context to the quote provided above my last reply, but like I said, as long as it's not ridiculous, (such as Mckendrick's behavior) and unrealistic, (such as for officers) then it should be handled IC, yes. If they're getting reported to sec every shift over it and demoted every shift for it, that's crossing into ridiculous.

18. Soadreqm

Soadreqm Research Director

@SparklySheep Do you feel like that's currently a problem in the community? People being too racist, sexist and bigoted?
    Also, what's "questionable content" supposed to mean? And don't give me a Merriam-Webster link, I already looked it up.

19. SparklySheep

The current rule is as vague as it is unhelpful. It's not about the current state of the community.
    Questionable content being anything that could be considered slipping through the strict definition of anything before so that edgelords can't claim "But it's not against the rules" (e.g. gore and such). You'll unfortunately have to rely on the good judgement of common sense, which frightens and horrifies some I'm sure.

20. LorenLuke

LorenLuke Commanding Officer

What about my clarification? :<