Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Policy Poll] Staff Complaint Policy

Discussion in 'Policy Discussion' started by LorenLuke, Nov 26, 2017.

?

Replace previous policy as described.

Poll closed Dec 3, 2017.
  1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    72.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. Abstain/Unvote

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. LorenLuke

LorenLuke Commanding Officer

Given the wake of the back and forth of another thread without a poll, I propose the following policy with poll for staff complaints:

Poll included and will run for one week. OP wording/policy proposal will not be changed from how it is now, so poll shall not need constant wiping, and discussion shall not amend poll wording.

2. Soadreqm

Soadreqm Research Director

I'm not sure if this poll is really necessary, considering the existence of the thread you just linked.

3. LorenLuke

I note the significant lack of poll at time of writing in other thread. With all the talking heads, this is a metric that one can see clear as day.

4. ZeroBits

ZeroBits Deputy Vox Maintainer

It would have been preferable to add a poll to the previous thread. That said, I support this proposal in it's entirety. Staff should be held to the same, or a far higher standard than players, and everything they do represents the staff team.

5. Meyar

Meyar Retired Worstmin 2015-2017

I literally could have just added a poll, even though it didn't really need one as there was all of one dissenting opinion. But eh.

6. ТhatOneGuy

ТhatOneGuy Unathi Species Maintainer

I'm gonna say no mainly because there's a difference between abusing your powers and breaking rules. It's all complaints against a staff member but with our current push to replace the strike system I think we should keep the current system

7. Hubblenaut

Hubblenaut Research Director

When staff power abuse and poor play are going to be handled independently from each other does that mean we can get admins that were banned from playing the game for repeated poor play but continue to administrate and judge the play of others?

ZeroBits likes this.
  8. Meyar

No. We've issued job bans to at least two admins during my tenure, but any behavior bad enough to net a server ban would result in deadminning

9. ZeroBits

As Meyar said, there have been examples of a staff-member continuing their duties under a job-ban. He also says that any actions which would result in a server ban would also result in a deadminning, but I don't think that's the case. I think, more often than not, staff are lenient with each-other. Actions that would get a staff-member banned are usually more serious than what would get a player banned. In my personal opinion, this shouldn't be the case.

Hell, I would even go as far as to say that if a staff-member breaks the rules more than once in a blue moon, they should be removed, even if it wouldn't warrant a ban. Staff should be held to a far higher standard than players, and should be following those rules to the best of their ability. Staff should never be protected from the consequences of breaking those rules, regardless of whether or not you like them, or consider them a friend.

And let's be honest: staff-members do get away with more than players; I sure as hell did. We were on a team, for the most-part we'd try to look out for each-other, have each-other's backs, and you're a lot more hesitant to punish someone who you personally know and work with. And staff /should/ have each-other's backs, but they should also respect the same rules they enforce, and if they can't do that, then they're not fit for the role, regardless of personal bias.

LorenLuke and Memescope McGee like this.
  10. Hubblenaut

Hubblenaut Research Director

So it can in fact not be treated independently from each other.

A staff member didn't get to be a staff member while having active bans and poor play on their head. Consequently, should their poor play start after they have already become an administrator, it gives reason to reconsider their qualification as staff just as well as how it did in their initial staff application. An admin that breaks the rules himself should, after all, not be the judge of others.

So since an admin's poor play can (and indeed has so in the past) revoke their staff privileges, it doesn't actually matter whether we call it a Staff or a Player complaint. In the instance they showed poor play in the game that they administrate, they were both.

LorenLuke likes this.
  11. Meyar

I can only speak for myself I guess. I reamed people for violating game rules as staff. Reamed.

Though it's no secret I've struggled with rule one myself. :confused:

12. LorenLuke

Poll closed with eighteen in favor to three against with four abstentions.

That's 16% abstaining, 72% in favor and 12% against of total respondents.

from voting, that's a proportion in favor by 85.7% of a total of twenty-one votes.

I call that conclusive enough to warrant consideration.

13. ZeroBits

Definitely warranting consideration, and I personally agree that this should be implemented. I think it would make it easier to hold staff to a high standard, and I think that it would benefit everyone; especially the staff team.

On the other hand, TOG does get the final say regardless of the vote results, and I believe that whatever his decision, he'll have good reasons behind it, and that he has the best interests of the server at heart.

14. Meyar

I think this was a weird love child of the strike system and not wanting to slap someone with a strike after they had a bad day, as opposed to regular violators or anything. With the move to a notes based and not strike based system, might be just better to keep non-IC staff complaints to the one subforum just for sanity reasons

ТhatOneGuy likes this.
  15. ТhatOneGuy

ТhatOneGuy Unathi Species Maintainer

That's basically what it was yes