Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Policy suggestion] Contentious PRs

Discussion in 'Policy Discussion' started by Meyar, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Meyar

Meyar Retired Worstmin 2015-2017

Should a PR be considered contentious, a vote shall be run for 48-72 hours.

Should the vote not pass, it shouldn't be merged.

To override a no vote on a contentious issue that the staff feel is needed for server balance and gameplay, a staff vote may be held. If the staff vote passes and is not vetoed by the Head Dev, it shall be merged.
    If an issue is very clearly a contentious one (the baton and 1 hit stun votes of the past examples and precedent) it can skip a public vote and go right to staff.

For matters of server stability (ex: a liked feature that players refuse to have removed despite a very clear and confirmed server performance hit) the Head Dev or a maintainer/dev consensus would be all that is needed to address a problem, regardless of contention. No formal vote need be taken.

Opinion: As one of the admins who would bang the 'this isn't a democracy' drum, I can say before now it hasn't been an issue. Common sense prevailed in the past but apparently that's gone out the window.

2. F-Tang Steve

F-Tang Steve Game Administrator Developer Serpentid Species Maintainer Deputy IPC Maintainer Deputy Diona Maintainer Wiki Maintainer

Xales announced recently that he was working on a new policy for contentious PRs. Did you message this idea to him at the time?

3. Meyar

If there was an announcement I'm afraid I missed it. I haven't seen any specific policy changes in this area. Is it posted somewhere public facing?

4. F-Tang Steve

F-Tang Steve Game Administrator Developer Serpentid Species Maintainer Deputy IPC Maintainer Deputy Diona Maintainer Wiki Maintainer

It was in news on discord pinging everyone. There is a new system in progress since we agree the current system isn't working well. The new one is designed to address and hopefully improve a lot of the issues that we and other people have been seeing.

5. Meyar

I await its publishing then.