Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accepted Purplemontart - Moderator Application

Discussion in 'Game Moderators - Archive' started by purplemontart, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purplemontart

purplemontart Game Moderator

About You

What is your Byond key?

purplemontart

What is your IRC or Discord handle?

purplemontart (Discord)

In UTC, what time range(s) do you usually play in?
    8am - 3pm on weekdays, 11pm - 1pm on weekends

What are the names of your most played characters?

Somnhairle Vines, Sarah, Caeruleus

How long have you been playing Space Station 13?

Since summer last year

How long have you been playing on Baystation? How much are you involved with our off-server community?

I started in June 2018 and played solidly through to August, had a break because I was at work, and came back at the end of December 2018 until now.

I'm on Discord pretty much whenever I'm awake

Have you been a moderator or admin on other Space Station 13 servers?

No, neither

Have you been in a moderation role for a forum or on chat channels before?

I was a moderator and then administrator for a medium sized Minecraft server and their forum for a couple of years.

Tell us about you. What will make you a good moderator?

I really love this server and its community. I feel like I've made some good acquaintances at least, friends I hope, while playing here. I've been the new player, and I still have questions about how stuff works, but now I know enough that I can help people, and I really like doing that. I try to play Vines as the Ship Dad, giving advice to people who seem like new players, and on Discord I like helping people who have questions.

I'm not very quick to be annoyed, which I feel would be a boon, and I think I'm good at looking at things from both sides, which considering many of the problems you'd deal with as a mod are conflicts between people.

To the best of your knowledge and understanding, how you would interpret and handle the following scenarios?

b]Cornydinner9/(mouse (193)) has just said something angry in OOC that directly references the actions of 3wolfmoon/(Alek Mendoza) who is also in the round. When you use OOC => Who, it shows that Cornydinner9 joined the server for the first time two days ago.[/b]

So this is IC in OOC, which isn't allowed. Given that, Cornydinner9 is more or less brand new. Ignorance isn't an excuse but you sometimes need to give the benefit of the doubt, so I'd bwoink Cornydinner9 and assuming there's nothing in their notes about them having been welcomed previously, I'd welcome them and point them to the rules, specifically pointing out rule 3 and 3.2, along with rule 1. If they have been welcomed before, I'd still point them to the rules, and regardless I'd advise them to properly read the rules. I'd add to their notes that this had been done, and I'd help keep an eye on their behaviour for a little while.

gleaming3, an observer, has started a ticket in which they claim that StaleMichel50/(Pete Wethers) is griefing, and they have not provided much information. When you use Admin => Check Antagonists, StaleMichel50 is listed as a traitor.

"X is griefing" is a really vague thing, since it doesn't really say anything about what's happening. I'd message gleaming3 to ask them what specifically they think StaleMichel50 is doing that is griefing, and I'd check in on what StaleMichel50 is doing. Assuming StaleMichel50 actually is griefing, doing things without any proper RP build up, I'd ask them if they have an end goal in mind, and I'd maybe advise them to build up to it more. I'd say to gleaming3 that it was being dealt with, to avoid revealing StaleMichel50's antag status. I'd do this final part even if the opposite was true, and StaleMichel50 is actually doing stuff with proper RP build up, but maybe gleaming3 hadn't seen that.

While you are observing, you notice that melancholy_Chad/(Ogden Bullthorn) and ProudYolande08/(Lou Penny) are in unrelated jobs and have been moving around and carrying out complicated activities for a long period without speaking to one another.

The immediate thought might be that they're metagaming, but first we need to see if it's malicious or innocent since they could just be unintentionally metacomming. I'd check to see if both are new, which would ultimately affect how I talk to them. I'd message them both, and ask them about what's happening. Ideally they acknowledge their mistake, or provide a convincing excuse as to what's happening. Ultimately there's not a huge amount I as a moderator could do, as far as I'm aware, other than informing an admin about my suspicions and handing it over to them.

Superiordorene/(Alex Burnette) is complaining about BIGMAMMOTH/(Jessica Olivers)'s reaction in-character to something that Superiordorene said or did - but it is indisputably clear that BIGMAMMOTH's reaction is not against any rules.

I'd message Superiordorene and talk to them about the event. I'd ask them what problems they have with the reaction, and then I'd explain why the reaction isn't against the rules. I'd make sure they understand that conflict in and of itself isn't bad, and if their character has issues with the reaction then even better because conflict leads to roleplay, and interesting character development.

A ticket is opened by colorful_berry67/(Simon Paulson) to complain about something that happened between themself, StraightGertude15/(Eli Mathers), and EnergeticPlastic/(Vlad Petrovic) in the Emergency Treatment Center. melancholy_Chad's story sounds like a legitimate issue but when you talk with StraightGertude15 and EnergeticPlastic their stories don't present the situation the same way.

This is the kind of stuff I want to be involved with. This would be a lot of back and forth, checking logs and talking with the parties involved, trying to get as clear a picture of what happened as possible. Hopefully it's clear that no one is immediately lying, because if that's the case, then I need to push a little harder. Everyone needs to understand that unless I'm being told the full story, then I can't do anything satisfactory to resolve the conflict. From here, I'd go through checking logs, talking to people who also saw what was happening, and see if there are still any holes that line up to help me in some way.

restricted and DeadSpring like this.
  2. Spookerton

Spookerton Public Kohai № 1 Staff Manager Manager Senior Administrator Community Moderator IPC Species Maintainer Donator

On the last question, it was pointed out to me that I used an incorrect ckey in one part. In case it affects your answer, it *should* have read,
    A ticket is opened by colorful_berry67/(Simon Paulson) to complain about something that happened between themself, StraightGertude15/(Eli Mathers), and EnergeticPlastic/(Vlad Petrovic) in the Emergency Treatment Center. colorful_berry67's story sounds like a legitimate issue but when you talk with StraightGertude15 and EnergeticPlastic their stories don't present the situation the same way.

3. purplemontart

It doesn't affect my answer, since I must have misread the incorrect ckey, and I understood it as it being colorful_berry67's story and ticket.

4. Spookerton

Spookerton Public Kohai № 1 Staff Manager Manager Senior Administrator Community Moderator IPC Species Maintainer Donator

Hi. I'll be ending this phase on Sunday instead of Saturday, and I'll be giving you feedback tomorrow. Sorry I haven't given you a response earlier in the week - I've been beat up by stuff and time's been tight.

purplemontart likes this.
  5. purplemontart

Don't worry about it dude, other things get in the way, I get it

6. Spookerton

Hiya. @purplemontart I've had some time to go over your answers and I have a couple of points. First, as a moderator you will have access to one tool, kick, which allows you to take direct action to remove someone from the server. It's not a ban, but it can be useful for situations where an admin isn't immediately available and something bad is happening. Second, although it's very much a matter of nuance, we prefer to tell people only that we'll look into an issue if it's not a very clear cut case of griefing - even just "being handled" has some semantic implications.

Your activity, answers, and conduct work for me - your application is accepted. Here's what to do next.

1. Make sure you have the Game Moderator Guide open in a tab, bookmarked, or whatever you do to get to a page quickly. Take the time to read it now, if you haven't already.

2. From the start of Sunday 24th in UTC (or about 7 hours after this post), whenever you're connected to the server and willing to participate in your trial (you don't have to, but not doing trial mod stuff during your trial is a good way to fail), send an adminhelp requesting trial moderator powers. Note that an admin has to be online to do this for you - you can ask in #staffcoach to get someone's attention if nobody is around on the server.

3. Remember that your role as a moderator is, in short, to a) mentor players by answering questions and helping with problems, and b) be part of the first stage of rule enforcement through player contact and note-keeping. Avoid personal interpretations of the rules, and if other staff members tell you that you've got something wrong, listen to what they have to say.

4. Start moderating! Your best approach is going to be to get your trial moderator powers and watch other staff handling things for a short while before you dive in yourself. I strongly recommend that you make your first round as a trial moderator one that is well populated with both staff and players. Don't forget to talk to the other staff online, because they can and will help you with your own questions and concerns.

5. Have fun. Just because you're going for a staff position doesn't mean you can't play the game. As a trial moderator you have the option to both not request powers, and to hide your moderator tools if you want to stop mid-round. If things feel too hectic or you're frustrated with doing staff tasks while you're trying to play, you can just play.

If you have anything you need to address with me before you trial such as an upcoming period of absence, please send me a forum PM or contact me on discord so that we can discuss how to work around it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.