Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proposal Removal of "tickets"

Discussion in 'Public Staff Forum' started by Virgil, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Virgil

Virgil Head Administrator Game Administrator Community Moderator

The title is a bit misleading, but I couldn't think of a better one.

Currently, our adminhelp system relies on an admin "closing" a ticket for the round to end. This is usually more of an unnecessary obstruction than a convienence as it's not too often we actually need to delay round end.

My idea is simple: remove the ability to "close" a ticket, and instead make conversations adminhelp based. Each adminhelp is a different conversation, and each nameclick after an adminhelp counts as contributing to that specific conversation. Assigning would still be a thing, to prevent staff from stepping on eachother, but it would mean that adminhelps are basically how it used to be, but without the annoying opening/closing stuff, with improved logging and assigning of people to the adminhelp.

I'd be willing to put in the work to make this happen, if the idea is actually desired.

Spookerton likes this.
  2. F-Tang Steve

F-Tang Steve Game Administrator Developer Serpentid Species Maintainer Deputy IPC Maintainer Deputy Diona Maintainer Wiki Maintainer

I dislike this idea heavily. I like the ticket system as is and like the opening and closing behaviour.

3. Spookerton

Spookerton Public Kohai № 1 Staff Manager Manager Senior Administrator Community Moderator Donator

Open/close is annoying. Support just per key logging.

4. ТhatOneGuy

ТhatOneGuy Unathi Species Maintainer

I mean...we could just make it to where it closes them automatically if they’re still open at rounds end, right?

5. Ozwell

Ozwell Retired Staff

The best solution to this issue is us doing exactly what we were trained and drilled to do and close our tickets when we're done with them. Every time I enter a round, without fail, there will be at least 3 tickets open that do not need to be, or 3 tickets that haven't even been looked at (which is a different issue all together). While both of these are competency-centered issues, I don't think it's that hard to remember to close your tickets. I am very good about closing my tickets, and usually get back to my players when an issue is resolved. I thought this was something that was normal for us, not something that needs to have a proposal to remove the ticket system all-together attached.

All-in-all, I feel looking at staff remembering to actually handle and close their tickets like they are trained to should be an adequate step here. If you REAAAAALLY want to install a mechanic change to solve a competency issue, I would suggest installing a mechanic that pings staff every ten minutes or so per open ticket. Otherwise, I would not support a removal of our current ticket system, as it is fine how it is. The operators on the other hand, are not.

6. Ozwell

Ozwell Retired Staff

The logistics of that don't work. How would the system know the difference between an open idle ticket and an open ticket that is being handled and it is essential that the round be delayed?

also, sorry for double-post :p

7. F-Tang Steve

F-Tang Steve Game Administrator Developer Serpentid Species Maintainer Deputy IPC Maintainer Deputy Diona Maintainer Wiki Maintainer

I like the closing of tickets as it means I don't need to keep a thread on it seeing if they'll say something else. Also without that, is everyone pinged by every message on everything?

Ursur likes this.
  8. Virgil

Only when a new adminhelp is made or you're the recipient, as it is currently.

9. GracieGrace0

GracieGrace0 Petty Officer First Class

I personally like the ticket system myself, I've gotten quite used to it and find it a bit more organized this way as well.

10. F-Tang Steve

So when someone is done talking to a player how does that then reset and bwoink all of us again without closing?

11. Virgil

In retrospect, this is the one part I hadn't really thought about. And I'm not entirely sure.

Considering that and that this doesn't seem like a popular idea, I'll leave the idea be.

12. Ozwell

Ozwell Retired Staff

Sounds good. But yeah, if you are looking at the whole tickets thing still, I would strongly recommend looking at implementing something along the lines of what I was going on about.