Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Rename Torch Ltd to Tenjin Holdings

Discussion in 'Gameplay Changes' started by Sabira, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Privateer

Privateer Research Director

If we were naming an actual company, Tenjin would be great. Naming a government-chartered enterprise.. not so much. Well, at least as far as I can think. TENJIN is a difficult thing to make an acronym with, and I'm racking my brain trying to make it work. Mainly, N doesn't have.... a lot of stuff to use. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm kinda stuck on an acronym, because forcing a mundane organization into an acronym that looks high minded is something a government... like totally does.

Transteller-Expeditionary something Joint INinitiive (Or someting INcorporated)... EN could be ENterprise, but that leaves T a little off...

T: Trade, TEchnical, Transteller
    E: ENterprise (don't like that so much, Expeditionary Corps, Expeditionary, Exploration
    N: New Worlds.... I'm kinda lost.
    I: INnovation, INitiative, , INcorporated (with a comma).
    N: I got nothing. New Worlds again?

Rules for an acronym would be that one word can stand for more than one letter, and you can certainly use other words in between that aren't part of the acronym (simple words like of, or the, or more complex words like Society, Association, Corporation, etc.). It also can be formed in a lot of different ways. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting Or Public Broadcasting Corporation; Association of Free States or Free States Association.)

TENJIN (Or another appropriate word) could be the whole thing, or could have Association, Corporation Trust, etc at the end of it. Someone posted something that would have used HERA, which would work, though HERA isn't a science goddess.

This is one option, of course. The other would be to just use a name that isn't an acronym (A comparatively simple Corporation for the Intersteller Survey or something).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  2. Privateer

Privateer Research Director

Some other options for possible acronym targets might be:
    Sekhmet
    Njord
    Aegir
    Fortuna
    Hecate
    Hermes
    Tir
    I mean... a bunch of others. I just found these on a googled website. Shorter names are easier to acronym.

3. Blue_Bit

Blue_Bit Chef

Association (Authority?) of Exploration and Governmental Interstellar Research?
    (Something that starts with a T) of Interstellar Research?
    Acronyms are hard.

4. Sabira

Sabira Head Developer Donator

I'm going to threaten to merge this PR in 24 hours to spur @Eckles into action considering I've been asking for an alternative for around a week.

5. Rowtree

Rowtree Sol Gov Pilot

The PR has fifteen thumbs down. We also had a poll on this and it came out as keep the name the same. I don't think the community wants this.

Jakeflex likes this.
  6. Eckles

Eckles Lore Manager Manager Game Administrator Skrell Species Maintainer

I have been running a vote which closes today: https://forums.baystation12.net/threads/feedback-on-science-company-name.7106/

To gather opinions on alternatives/general names.

Please do not threaten me just because I am taking some time with something. Thank you.